Another Railway! The WR, now the MGR

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Woodfields Light Railway

Post by Woodfields Light Railway » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:55 pm

The tender in the second to last picture looked a bit too big for the poor old dvlr! :lol:

TTHLRMatt
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:20 am
Location: South Shields

Post by TTHLRMatt » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:27 pm

Need to get Oliver finished to take to the Jol

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:33 pm

All the track has been moved from my Dad's garden to my Grandparent's garden as my Dad is moving house. I decided to have a test steam of Madge to test the new water pipe work. Sadly my unions leaked and the injector failed so after a few runs up and down I had to drop the fire. Anyway, having put some footrests on the tender all went well and it was nice to see all the 5 inch gauge stock at once.

Image
Image
A horribly posed photo of me and a friend.
Image
The lubricator is now working better after a bit of work to it.
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:51 pm

More tender work the coal hatch is finished and all the gaps have been filtered and then some primer has been applied and rubbed down- its all white!! - ready for painting a proper colour...
Image
Image
The water filler is an screw on access cap for waste pipes...
Image
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:16 pm

Update - the tender is now mostly painted and worked well at JoL when I visited in the summer. I've been working on two bits of 5 inch gauge rolling stock to accompany the toast rack. First is that chassis for the brake van which I cut the bits of metal for ages ago. Its now welded together. Unfortunately I cut the bits for the well too long and so I'll have to angle grind them off, cut them down and weld that back on again. As the old saying goes, measure twice, weld once...

Another bit of rolling stock I have on the go is a little enclosed carriages based on the 4 wheel 1st class carriage at the Rhiw valley
http://bestieboy.smugmug.com/Trains/Rhi ... Nash-L.jpg
This will be for my niece (and any other nieces and nephews (should that be niblings?) that come along) to sit in. The roof will be removable so that even when she gets a bit bigger she will still be able to sit "in".
I've had quite a bit of fun with this - it has a simple wooden chassis and the sides will be paneled - the ply is to be held in place by the window battening which you might just be able to pick out in the picture.
Image
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:01 am
Location: haverhill suffok

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:19 pm

looking good mr bond jest reading some of your pervious posts you said you went to jewsons and asked for inch by inch batten and you got 20mm by 20mm .planed timber is always measured before its planed up so inch by inch timber will actually be 3/4 of an inch by 3/4 of an inch .example if you wanted 6 inch by 1 inch it would actually measure 5 and3/4 by 3/4 of and inch hope this makes sense

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:33 pm

Thanks Jim, I found that out at Jewsons when I went to buy more...
The carriage has progressed along, I forgot the curved tops for the sides which is why they are still in primer when the rest of the carriage paint is finished (woops)
Image
The chassis has been given a coat of black bitumastic paint which should protect it. I am going to see if I can blag some foam for the seats from a local upholsterers. The inside will be cream and brown I think. Gold lining naturally...

Image
Last edited by Dr. Bond of the DVLR on Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1490
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:18 pm
Location: North West Leicestershire

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:23 pm

Very nice work Zach. That's quite a vehicle! I love the livery.
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

kandnwlr

Post by kandnwlr » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:42 pm

Very nice. Not sure what would happen to me if I painted directly on the table, newspaper or no newspaper :D :shock: :x :?

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:38 pm

I forgot to post an update to this:
Foam (from a local upholstery company) and material (from a local haberdashery) where used to upholster the carriage, tester pots (from a local paint shop) where used to paint it. It was meant to be chocolate and cream on the inside but due to dulux colour chart confusion it ended up lemon and dog turd somehow...
Image

Door handles where made up from some steel rain strip and brass, a nice exercise. The grab rails where some modified hand rails from the local thingme bobs shop
Image

I had this ready in time for my niece to have a ride when we saw her just after Christmas. The entire rake so far:
Image
She really enjoyed sitting and looking out of the windows, the train was only hand propelled. I am looking forward to setting up some track in my Sister's garden in the summer. The really nice thing about the project is that everything bar the bogies has come from a local supplier - All the materials have been retrieved on foot - there can't be many towns left where this is possible?
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:31 pm

I decided to buy an ROR driving chassis as it was high time I had some proper working brakes. The tender body I made will go on the ROR chassis which freed up the old driving truck chassis. I've turned this into a steaming up box on wheels with a hint of inspiration from Heywood - not a model of a wagon but a working wagon doing a job. There'll be a simple removable seat as well.
Needs dumb buffers now and a lick of black paint on the chassis and buffer beams and its done.
Image
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:23 pm

Carriage no. 3 based on a basset Lowke carriage coming along...

Image

Image

Now we just need some slats and some stainless bolts. I also need to grind down the ends so they are rounded.
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:28 pm

Slats done today - quick bit of work with a table saw and a router.
Image
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

JCSteam

Post by JCSteam » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:33 pm

Some nice rolling stock, love the slatted seats, though would the bogies be better underneath the seats? To spread the load better, and make it more stable?

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:46 pm

That is where they are going to go JC! The footwell, I hope, will only ever contain feet, I just accidentally forgot to take the bogies away for the photo.
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

btiratsoo
Cleaner
Cleaner
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Hampshire

Post by btiratsoo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:22 pm

Cracking work there Mr Bond. Inspiring stuff. I'm just gathering steam towards a 5" or 7.25" loco and possible railway in the garden.

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:02 pm

It is all good fun! I must say I do wish I had space for a 5" gauge garden railway - one day!

Basset Lowke carriage progressing:
Varnished mock up to see how the seats feel - also all the holes have been drilled (SOO many holes!)

Image

The wood frame was given another coat of varnish and the bracketry painted black

Image

Then all the metal work had the holes deburred and a final touch look over before priming. I nocked a few nails in the side of the shed to make a drying rack - its a nice sunny spot!

Image

And today the first coat of gloss red to match the other carriages was applied

Image

I also finished servicing the bogies and bolted the bogie stretchers to the frame to allow this mock up to be put together - the paint was still quite delicate so I didn't bolt anything together, just another layer of red to go and the draw gear then it just needs bolting together!

Image
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver
Posts: 4824
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:06 pm

Just read the entire thread Zach and you have come along way with all this.

I am jealous that you get to build something much larger than 16mm, building a wagon with a chopsaw and a drill sounds much less fiddly ;)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:12 pm

Sadly I can't do 5" gauge in our garden or any garden at the moment but the second I move into a house with a proper sized garden I should have a pretty good set up!

Carriage all done (except for couplings and lining)
Lots of pictures

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

The tests for stability were good - the tests for loaded clearence not so - I need to make up some packing pieces to raise the well off the rail head!!
Image

As is now standard - passenger for scale! Quite comfortable for two me sized people to ride up and down in

Image
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

JCSteam

Post by JCSteam » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:19 pm

Now that looks cool, I like the scroll metalwork, and the match between the red frame and stained wood is spot on

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests