Page 3 of 3
Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:56 am
by DolwyddelanLightRail
Well, the theory behind it as I understand is that as the masak wheels slip on the rails, they grind themselves down thus creating a small amount of sanding effect on the rails, whereas steel wheels don't wear down like this so don't have this effect.
Not sure if anyone else has any other ideas on this

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:53 pm
by Lner fan Sam
Premade sanders!
I like how Brit has groves in its wheels sounds like its been used alot!
Needs a retyre job!

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:33 pm
by DolwyddelanLightRail
Lner fan Sam:82191 wrote:Premade sanders!
I like how Brit has groves in its wheels sounds like its been used alot!
Needs a retyre job!

It needs new wheels all together, front axle is loose in the bearings, tyres heavily worn, rear wheelset is badly worn but not as bad as the front (which is due to the uneven weight distribution of the loco). Come it's next overhaul whenever that is, there will be a fair few things being replaced! Will try and get a picture of the profile of the front wheelset when I am next home...currently leaving Arbroth heading to Aberdeen!
Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:52 pm
by Lner fan Sam
It will be just a bottom end overhaul then won't it?