Page 3 of 4
Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:54 pm
by PCLR
yeah there great
Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:58 pm
by DolwyddelanLightRail

Thanks for your help guys!
This will help later on when i come round to getting everything done, as I am slowly gathering everything i need/useful to know for summer for when i actually start to get everything done!

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:27 pm
by Endless, Nameless
I might actually have a servo for you- I'd promised it to someone else but last I heard he was planning on getting a factory R/C Lawley, in which case you are welcome to it- assuming you aren't in a hurry.
It was given to me by Neil who occasionally posts here, I'm sure he'd rather I pass it on than have it sat in my bits box. It's even got the official Accucraft spec risers.
Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:11 pm
by DolwyddelanLightRail
ooooooo, i may be interested in that if it becomes free
As i said i'm not in a massive rush to get everything instantly, as i have just got the cylinder covers and uprated piston set for brit and i may get nameplates soon so i don't get to summer and not have anything/not know what to do at all!
Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:17 pm
by Endless, Nameless
If the other chap doesn't need it tis yours gratis chap- I'll make up a linkage for you too so you'll just have to unscrew the bolt that gives you the "notch" effect (the standard nut spinner it comes with fits) and either drill or file the hole out slightly on the reverser. Screw the servo onto the holes on the footplate and you are done. Well, other than fitting the radio gear. You'll have to buy a switch (few quid, get one with a charging cable), a battery (futaba connection is best, matches the switch and the standard connectors on recievers), and the transmitter/ reciever.
All easy to get from eBay. I looked in Antics for 2.4GHz kit and it was very expensive compared, I'd say the net is your best bet!
Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:26 am
by DolwyddelanLightRail
Thanks!
If it does become free could you please PM me?

Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:27 am
by Endless, Nameless
Will do

Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:21 am
by DolwyddelanLightRail
Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:00 pm
by Endless, Nameless
Yup, should be able to find one a bit cheaper though.
The battery was the trickiest bit to source I found, there's so much choice!
Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:17 pm
by PCLR
Endless, Nameless wrote:Yup, should be able to find one a bit cheaper though.
The battery was the trickiest bit to source I found, there's so much choice!
they aren't to bad buy a 2 stack battery box and get some rechargable AA batters from any hardwear shop
its that easy
Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:42 pm
by DolwyddelanLightRail
I think the most expensive part of it is going to be the receiver/transmitter, as the cheapest one i've found so far is about £40, unless there are any for cheaper
Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:41 pm
by Endless, Nameless
Personally I don't like the "bung some generic batteries in a box" solution. I have a proper sealed 4- cell battery pack but I can't remember which type it is now. Can be charged in situ through the charging connector on the switch, gives a much longer running time for the size of cell (tiny!) and is generally neater. Also they hold their charge at full "life" until just before they go flat, while normal batteries die gradually. I'll have to check the voltage requirements of the servo actually now you mention it.
I got the Planet 5 channel 2.4GHz r/c for about £50 posted.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PLANET-5-2-4GHz-T ... 1e5aa16012
Is the cheapest on eBay at the moment. Was the £40 for an older mhz or 2.4 gig one? If you don't want 2.4 GHz (it's well worth it though) you should be able to pick up a decent secondhand 40mhz set for under £20. If you end up getting interference (I did with Caradoc on a 27mhz set- up) then to buy a servo smoother thingy is £40- odd anyway, so you've spent more and got an inferior system.
Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:33 pm
by DolwyddelanLightRail
I'll also ask my housemaster at school as he is into aircraft modelling, and i'll see if i can get anything cheap of him as well
Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:47 pm
by Endless, Nameless
If you can get a mhz system for next to nowt then that's fine. If you are spending more than £10- £20 I'd save up for the Planet. False economy otherwise.
Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:03 pm
by PCLR
2.4ghz it the way forward but there nothing wrong with a 27 or 40 mhz set i used to race remtoe controll car at a national level so it had all the stuff setting my car 6 to be prosice
pack in the racing last year just after buying a new car at 1500 pound

Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:10 pm
by DolwyddelanLightRail
I'll see what he has, if he can't sell me one cheaply/get one cheaply I'll go for a 27 or 40mhz then, as i need to save as much money as possible at the mo (just in case my parents decide they want me to pay them back!

)
and also for the upgrades on the mamods/nameplates etc etc
oh, and one question, where is the best place to get nameplates at the moment?

Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:16 pm
by PCLR
there are so many place i am in the same boat as you
Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:27 pm
by Endless, Nameless
Guilplates are supposed to be very good, I was admiring some earlier from them.
Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:57 pm
by PCLR
cheers
Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:02 pm
by DolwyddelanLightRail
I have had a talk to my housemaster and he says he'll be able to get me a 27 or 40 mhz set for £15-20, so i'll go with that if the servo stuff becomes free, and I'll have a look at those nameplates as well!
