Page 18 of 61
Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:57 am
by taliesin001
Lines looking great now, you've got a nice length. I liked the curve under the tree with the slate fencing. Nice to hear how a countess should sound, mines decided to sulk at the moment!
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:32 pm
by Pendo Pilot
Not a lot going on at the moment due to stupid day shifts but I had a plan to build/paint some bits ready for a restday off. So last week I managed to get another 14 feet of breeze block with track ontop stage to bedded in with the first bits of detail. Friday I had a marathon session of running using every loco I own (bar the mamod as it was very windy!). Have of course made a video but not had chance to edit it all yet as it's about 20 minutes long in cut down form!

.
Anyway the newly piece of "Bedded" in line.

Looking up the bank which is now known as Mawll summit, a 1in32 to 36 section. Only done on one side so far for the first 4 feet.
Kink intentional I may add, wasn't drunk when I layed it!

Quite a few combined mile & gradient posts have been added along the line. This one on Mawll bank.

The line & surroundings viewed from the opposite way as the first shot (Facing down the bank).

Further back still along the same "Green Lane" as in the previous shot. (Cement/sand/compost mix on the lane to hopefully encourage greeness).

Mawll Summit Platelayers hut & associated equipment so far.

More detail of the Platelayers hut.
All that section is in a part of the garden that does not get much sun (only first thing in the morning) so I'm hoping moss will like it a fair bit. BTW more slate down than I planned due to the cat wanting to poop everywhere in the new soil. Will put more alpine type plants in early spring.
Also a new "building" has appeared just up the line at the lower end of Llangunllo bank.......

Another P-Way used building in the shape of an old van body (Faller I believe). Still in the old Chyknell Valley Railway livery (CR) before the Chyknell Light Railway(CLR) was bought out by the CR, regauged & now known as the CVLR. (This may explain the CVLR's quite diverse loading gauge!!)

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:40 pm
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Wonderful! It will look stunning when fully settled in.
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:40 pm
by Narrow Minded
Looking
mighty fine there Shane! Great progress despite the dayshift denting your free time and some ace lineside details

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:37 pm
by Sir haydn
nice one shane. Looks like you've been to B2B6 again!
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:44 pm
by 90733
Brilliant Shane, looking good

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:56 pm
by taliesin001
absolutly brilliant, will look even better with a bit of moss
Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:34 am
by Pendo Pilot
I think I've been influenced by all the DB (EWS) RHTT (Rail Head Treatment Trains) knocking about out there at the moment as we are of course in the silly season once more. Always nice to see them out there of course, bit of peace of mind & all that. (Even though sunday was hell, struggled to get over 110mph & stopping, well it was interesting to say the least. Nothing makes your blood pump more than being in the crumple zone of 424 tons with 36 axles locked solid..

)
So back to the point, I was wondering what to do with the few mamod based wagons I have left over. The coaches were sold in bits to 90733, the vans have been converted to gunpowder vans as they suit that role quite well I think. That leaves me with 3 open wagons, a brakevan & two modified chassis featuring a skip wagon body & one flat bed with ends.
So why not build some actually working vehicles for departmental use if you will excuse the more modern phrase for them.
Currently in the CVLR's departmental fleet then we have a snowplough (built in the scorching heat of June!). Finally started to get that ready for the snow. Gauge testing around the line as it was built prior to the line actually being started. A few bits trimmed/tweaked & the bit I was going to fill with car filler I decided to mimic the real thing & have instead filled it with concrete today.....

Bring it on then!! Lets have some snow, I want to try it out now. Works well as a ballest plough as well.
Next up are some WIP, a parrafin wagon based on one we use down the Paddock line on the SVR. Needs wicks still though. You fill the tank up with parrafin which gets spread over the wheels slowly via the wicks. This cleans all the gunk up that ends up on the railhead & vehicle flanges & turns it from solid slippy sh!t into liquid that disolves away. The brakevan has been converted with the addition of a couple of brushes underneath into a track sweeping vehicle to brush away small leaves & the like.
Paint still wet in shots & needs finishing but as I'm already using them it may take a while to do that. CVLR's standard departmental livery of matt black & Virgin trains red.
Now whats next, thinking about a leaf blower. Maybe a high RPM PC cooling fan vented trackwards to clear dry leaves & junk off the line??
Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:42 am
by Narrow Minded
departmental
Yes, de
part mental, as in "not totally" off the wall!
Nice collection of utility vehicles there, not 100% convinced about the leaf blower, but then if someone can build a working cess strimmer

...........................
Another classic example of re-use, recycle, re-model!!!!
Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:53 am
by Pendo Pilot
Narrow Minded wrote: but then if someone can build a working cess strimmer

...........................
Funny you should say that mate,
I was only thinking last night that I could use a spare tailboom end RC helicopter gearbox & tail rotor blades to do that. I thought with the addition of one servo I could do high & low cess foliage. It's a plan for one of the open wagons I suppose.
If I can get the same RPM in the wagon on the rotor blades as my helicopters kick out then anything up to about 3mm wood will be toast.

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:41 am
by mhlr
Would be better with a rotary bottle brush thing on the front of a wagon, just touching the railhead, so it whips stuff out a few feet infront

Just build an all-in-one wagon, snowplough, with parrafin and sweeping brush!

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:38 am
by Narrow Minded
mhlr wrote:Would be better with a rotary bottle brush thing on the front of a wagon, just touching the railhead, so it whips stuff out a few feet infront :lol: Just build an all-in-one wagon, snowplough, with parrafin and sweeping brush! :lol:
Cool idea! - it'd look like something off the "Teletubbies"

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:49 pm
by Pendo Pilot
Narrow Minded wrote:mhlr wrote:Just build an all-in-one wagon, snowplough, with parrafin and sweeping brush! :lol:
Cool idea! - it'd look like something off the "Teletubbies"

Which is exactly why I have not built an all in one wagon!!

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:51 pm
by Pendo Pilot
Finally managed to get last fridays mass CVLR steamup video uploaded & cut down to size.
This is the result of a day off & an afternoon just running every loco I have (Bar the mamod as it was too windy). Some bits have lost continuity due to editing but I'm happy enough with it.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="
http://www.youtube.com/v/koYWBG0nFuM?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
http://www.youtube.com/v/koYWBG0nFuM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:35 pm
by mhlr
Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:38 pm
by Narrow Minded
Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:51 pm
by Pendo Pilot
Too cold to mess about outside hence No 7 now looks like this!
Whats in store then... Nothing special to be fair, just removing the last evidence of midland maroon from the line.

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:14 am
by Narrow Minded
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:44 am
by Pendo Pilot
LOL Greg, theres no accounting for taste then is there!!
Oh & when you get a Countess....I dare you!! Mind you it will probably be a black one anyway.

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:41 am
by Sir haydn
I thought yours was Maroon Shane?
