Page 16 of 61

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:19 am
by Pendo Pilot
Keith&Joanna wrote:have you thought about moving the pressure gauge out of the window?
Yeah Keith, I probably will in time. I did move the one on my Edrig but that was right in the window opening. This one is at least set back a bit. Once I get the RC in there I will see about moving it a bit...maybe... ;)

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:31 am
by Pendo Pilot
Work is progressing on the route extension & am happy to say the trackbed has now reached the patio at the other end of the garden from Chyknell station.  Just waiting on track now of which I will need 2 boxes of peco (24 yards) to lay on the bed laid down already. Hopefully sort that out in a few days time. Then once I have tested (played trains over it) & I am happy with the formation the basic landscaping will start on that bit. This will just leave one long side of the garden to complete to gain the full circuit plan (as I have now covered almost 3 of the 4 sides of the full garden... :roll:

Wife still has not moaned about the concrete blocks all over the place???  :roll:

Started basic landscaping on the last new bit, funds a bit low after loco purchase & a bit more stock (well I couldnt resist another W&L Van & brakevan for £60 could I). Have used a different method for ballasting this time, still using rowlands mix but with the added use of stone ballast on the shoulders only. I just wanted that proper ballast cess look. Although the stones are the smallest my garden centre had they are probably still a bit oversize.. :roll: Will see how they weather in. Talking of which (& I forgot to take a pic) but the spur to the shed that is laid so far has started going rather green as what looks like moss is taking hold. This may be as no train has passed over this bit for about a month now as it's currently mothballed until the main line is done.

Anyway No 11 & the new & old W&L brakes trundle about the line, in the background of one shot the trackless trackbed can be seen heading towards the distance.

Image
Image
Image
Image

Btw sorry for the blurry phots, camera phone has succumb to too much steam action & the lens glass is fogged a little. :evil:

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:22 am
by DVT Dweller
Shane, its been 4 months since you started this, how the hell can you get so much done so fast and have it looking so good?? :lol:

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:00 am
by Narrow Minded
the lens glass is fogged a little.
Actually, it's quite a nice effect! :D

Great work there Shane, you're fairly galloping along! The green is most definitely the start of moss growth - I have a shaded curve behind Brinsley Lodge where the moss is now well and truly taking hold! It looks fab :D

Just one question - have you got something retaining the soil behind the log roll?

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:10 am
by Pendo Pilot
Hi Greg,
The log roll is currently just hammered into the ground approx 2" & then I sprinkled cement into the gap & watered. I plan to put metal stakes in every 4 feet or so in the end. Eventually I will build up either stone or brick walling infront of the log roll as wood roll is not the effect I want to have in the end. However buying brick/stone would eat up the budget for actually building the line so will be done afterwards.

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:14 am
by Pendo Pilot
Oh & of course.................

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jx_6jF2FH3E?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jx_6jF2FH3E?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

;)

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:13 pm
by Pendo Pilot
Had a quick fettle this morning with No 9 Matilda, quick test & she will take 13 up the bank forwards or propelling. So as thats the lines normal size train it's passed the test. Was going to see what she will take up there but it started raining & now I have to go to work! :roll:

Image
On test.

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:44 pm
by taliesin001
excellent pics, thanks for posting

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:50 pm
by spooner
I like your loco chose.I have a Fowler and its run mean miles.Have you got the book"The Innisfail Tramway"?

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:00 am
by Pendo Pilot
Keith&Joanna wrote:The lamp on the front looks tiny, probably as i'm used to the somewhat chunkier RH lamps  8)
It's my minimal attempt to anglisize my Fowler. Was going to fit the smaller electric lamps they carried to the end (the ones that look like Rally lamps on a Mk 2 escort) but for now have decided to just have lamp irons. Not a big fan of the mahoosive US style lamps, just ruins the look of the loco in my eyes. Even though the working one on the MHLR Fowler was a lovely item it had to go.

;)

spooner wrote:Have you got the book"The Innisfail Tramway"?
I have not got that one, will have to look out for it. Any pics of the fowlers in it? Does it include/ mention No 11 in fitzgerald park on it's plinth?

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:28 am
by spooner
The book is pub. by Light Railway Research Society of Australia Inc. ISBN 0 909340 38 2 [HC] or ISBN 0 909340 39 0 [SC].
The book is a history of tramway and stock with photos and drawings.
IAN

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:06 pm
by Pendo Pilot
Thanks for the Info there Ian, will look out for that asap.

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:23 am
by Pendo Pilot
Matilda on test, 18 on plus that heavy tender works well for me. Only managed it once due to railhead condition but at least it made it that once.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/11QqUgNWug0?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/11QqUgNWug0?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:27 am
by LMS-Jools
Marvelous lol. :D 8)

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:37 pm
by Narrow Minded
Just a thought................................

Image

Spotted this on the new MNGR website :D

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:39 pm
by taliesin001
superb, the fowler makes a good sound with all that on the back.
Didn't know paul had a new website, will have a look around it now :D

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:57 pm
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR
I like that bike, where do you think he got it from?

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:01 pm
by Sir haydn
P&J models do a bike so does steve warrington

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:04 pm
by Narrow Minded
I've got the Back2Bay6 bike, so I'm guessing that one's the P&J Models version :D

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:07 pm
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR
They're both good but which is better...
There's only one way to find out.....