Page 2 of 2
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:31 pm
by mhlr
I can't remember if you mentioned... have you got the track already? If so, why not consider 32mm, much more British stuff on that, not track power though....
Accucraft are bringing out a lot of stuff though, Caledonia, Viking diesel, etc etc
Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:38 am
by brianwhitehead
mhlr wrote:I can't remember if you mentioned... have you got the track already? If so, why not consider 32mm, much more British stuff on that, not track power though....
Accucraft are bringing out a lot of stuff though, Caledonia, Viking diesel, etc etc
Considered it, but I decided to go for the biggest track. Also, isn't the 32mm stuff more expensive than G?
Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:09 am
by pauly
Gs better in most respects its, easier to lay, ballest and its bigger.
and you can still model british 2 foot gauge with it.
and Im pretty sure you have to build the track from kits with most good 32 tracks.
Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:19 am
by SillyBilly
pauly wrote:Gs better in most respects its, easier to lay, ballest and its bigger.
and you can still model british 2 foot gauge with it.
and Im pretty sure you have to build the track from kits with most good 32 tracks.
No, you're modelling 3ft gauge!
Track comes ready built from PECO or Tenmille, cheaper than G track as there is less material used.
With regards to G being cheaper I'd say it probably is equal, given the cost of track in G, it's only if you don't want to build kits that you'll hit trouble with SM32, allthough the range of RTR is ever increasing, just look at TrackShack
www.track-shack.com .
Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:08 pm
by pauly
no I use G track but I model 2 foot gauge!
Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
by SillyBilly
It's not 2ft gauge though if you're modelling in 16mm to the foot scale (1:19).
16mmx3=48mm
That's 3ft gauge in 16mm scale so only 3mm out.
Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:20 pm
by Endless, Nameless
Wot Billy said, you're on the 3ft Pauly, same as I am.
I'm sure peco SM32 is cheaper than G scale stuff, certainly cheaper than LGB, especially when you consider that the peco points are much bigger- i.e. larger radius- than the LGB R1s, which are very tight- Caledonia will do R1s but I suspect would be happier on peco 45mm trackwork.
Aren't we lucky to have this choice!
If I was to start again, I'd go 32mm with peco track, running a mixture of steam and battery electrics.
For the record, I'm on LGB 45mm running track power and a bit of steam too.
Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:45 pm
by pauly
SillyBilly wrote:It's not 2ft gauge though if you're modelling in 16mm to the foot scale (1:19).
16mmx3=48mm
That's 3ft gauge in 16mm scale so only 3mm out.
but Im not modelling in 16mm
I just make my figures really big so the track is a scale 2 foot to them!
Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:49 pm
by mhlr
Peco Sm32 track is cheap enough like Will said. And of course, is scale for British stuff. It's actually easier to ballast (sorry Pauly!!) because the sleepers and not close together like LGB track... RTR wise, Accucraft do a lot, and bringing more out, and you can regauge LGB stuff if you can cope with big stuff on 32mm.
Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:52 pm
by pauly
yes but with LGB track the ballast doesn't have to be so fine and the sleepers are deeper so it has a better grip in the ballest and lets not forget that LGB is indestructible Iv seen it left out for 30 years and be reused in another garden railway.
most other brands seem to suffer with brittle sleepers after awhile.
Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:35 am
by Aizoon
How about the little IP Ezee range kits - see
http://ip-engineering.co.uk/acatalog/Ez ... Range.html
They really are very simple to assemble.
Of course, 30 squid is a lot of money to spend on a loco

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:53 pm
by Hancockshire
I think Accucraft are goin' to make an electric version of the forthcoming Countess and also a live steam version of Caledonia (my head hurts).
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:56 pm
by SillyBilly
If they get enough orders.