I think I'll try the sharp sand or mortar...can always chisel the stuff away...or have fun with sledgehammers. wmuahahahahaahahahhahaahahha
Forming a track bed
-
SapperAnt
-
SapperAnt
Well, following various forms of discussion re garden railway, the Landlady has said I can put down decking so long as I leave it behind when I leave. But she wont pay me for it when I do as I laid it voluntarily.
Ermm.... No
So my little railway is all packed up in boxes awaiting a house move. Sometime. When my other half and I can afford it. *prods him into seeing a mortgage broker*
Sigh
Ah well
F*ck it
Ermm.... No
So my little railway is all packed up in boxes awaiting a house move. Sometime. When my other half and I can afford it. *prods him into seeing a mortgage broker*
Sigh
Ah well
F*ck it
-
invicta280
- Trainee Driver

- Posts: 676
- Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:24 pm
- Location: kent england
Don't be put off by this.
Plan ahead for the new house.
But meantime i don't see why you can't build at least a short sectional railway either on decking planks or metal cable trays supported on bricks that clips together.
Such a scheme need not leave a footprint. The old battleaxe would never know it had been there.
To digress slightly; Michael Portillo's Railway Journeys this week visited the peat railways in the Bog of Allen Ireland where they use many miles of sectional track which they cheerfully relay constantly
to follow the excavations, like a giant train set.
Give it a try, don't let Cruella stand in the way of a good garden rail
plan.
Plan ahead for the new house.
But meantime i don't see why you can't build at least a short sectional railway either on decking planks or metal cable trays supported on bricks that clips together.
Such a scheme need not leave a footprint. The old battleaxe would never know it had been there.
To digress slightly; Michael Portillo's Railway Journeys this week visited the peat railways in the Bog of Allen Ireland where they use many miles of sectional track which they cheerfully relay constantly
to follow the excavations, like a giant train set.
Give it a try, don't let Cruella stand in the way of a good garden rail
plan.
- Sir Clothem Cap
- Driver

- Posts: 1708
- Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:45 pm
- Location: Hampshire
- Contact:
- Keith S
- Driver

- Posts: 1668
- Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm
- Location: Canada
I have always found it easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission. Maybe you should just build some tracks anyway and when she complains, claim to have thought she was objecting to a large 5" gauge railway, and not a 32mm one. You could try bullying and intimidating her, too. It all boils down to how hard her husband is. Maybe you could intimidate him, too.
-
Narrow Minded
I've somehow missed this thread -
First off, I agree with the majority comment, "don't give up"!
We rent and so the W&LLR has been laid as what would be best described as a "transportable layout". If the order to move came, the whole kit and caboodle can be lifted and taken with us - there's NOTHING permanent about it.
The trackbed is a substrate of reclaimed bricks'n'blocks topped with "Rowlands Mix" (which is easily removed from track), set-track has been used throughout which holds its own position without the need for fixing down.
Carefully integrate the railway into its setting - ie don't have it sticking out like a sore thumb - and go for it!
First off, I agree with the majority comment, "don't give up"!
We rent and so the W&LLR has been laid as what would be best described as a "transportable layout". If the order to move came, the whole kit and caboodle can be lifted and taken with us - there's NOTHING permanent about it.
The trackbed is a substrate of reclaimed bricks'n'blocks topped with "Rowlands Mix" (which is easily removed from track), set-track has been used throughout which holds its own position without the need for fixing down.
Carefully integrate the railway into its setting - ie don't have it sticking out like a sore thumb - and go for it!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 49 guests