Garden Rail Issue 166

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
ACLR

Post by ACLR » Wed May 21, 2008 8:45 pm

Ive only just started getting this magazine and at AUS$12.20 it isnt cheap for such a small mag :?

SillyBilly

Post by SillyBilly » Wed May 21, 2008 8:58 pm

I buy it anyway, I get it from the railway shop, so I know the profit is going to a good cause.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed May 21, 2008 9:40 pm

Yeah, I've got my copy of '16mm today' today. I'm surprised and chuffed that my railway and me are mentioned.

I'm thinking of re-writing my current article, sending that off to Garden rail, and then write a article about my graden railway experience so far for '16mm today'.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Shropshire, England

Post by mhlr » Wed May 21, 2008 9:53 pm

Matt wrote:Yeah, I've got my copy of '16mm today' today.  I'm surprised and chuffed that my railway and me are mentioned.

I'm thinking of re-writing my current article, sending that off to Garden rail, and then write a article about my graden railway experience so far for '16mm today'.
I saw that :D! I noticed the 'younger modellers' article done by them 2 boys, I had thoughts about writing too. I will probably send one in the SMT in summer when I can capture some more 'matured' shots.
They've got a superb line, I wonder if we could get em to join us here at GRF?!!
Image

grumpfuttock

Post by grumpfuttock » Fri May 23, 2008 5:42 pm

I must admit that I always look forward to the day when Garden Rail arrives in my mailbox (one never knows if something really inspirational will be in it, like for example, Paul's "Maesffordd") but I do find some of the issues a little bit of a let down. And some of the comments in other posts in this thread, seem to confirm my own feelings. Laalratty I know about that glazing over feeling !

Years ago in the 1990's I used to subscribe to Tom Coopers Garden Railway World, and I would spend literally days reading and re-reading it and getting a great deal of inspiration. There were so many useful tips and tricks, feature articles on garden layouts and "how to build a steam loco" articles, and little bits and pieces of info scattered on each page. Oddly it was probably thinner than GR today. That publication ceased and Garden Rail took it's place. For a while it continued in much the same way as GRW, but after a couple years it seemed like all the inspirational articles had disappeared and LGB had become quite prominent. So I unsubscribed.

I was also a member of the 16mm association for a good number of years from the late 1980's. I also found 16mm today very interesting and helpful. But in the mid-late 1990's I dropped out of the association because I got fed up with some of the personal attacks some of the members made on other members in SMT. Also at that time it was changed to a public limited company, and insurance was beginning to be pushed at us, and International  members did not have the same membership rights as the UK ones. That got up my nose.

For the past couple of years I have re-subscribed to Garden Rail. There have been a good number of articles that I have really enjoyed, but oddly  when I have read through Garden Rail, I often get a let down feeling, as though the articles have just been superficial. I thought it may be my advancing age, maybe I had changed, maybe I had been interested in garden railways too long ! So for the past few months, each morning when I wake, I get a cup of coffee and sit in bed looking through my old SMT's, Garden Railway Worlds, and first issues of Garden Rail. They still inspire me and I can spend hours reading through them.

One conclusion I have arrived at, is, that there are so many ready built items available today, that maybe more time is spent describing them and their attributes, than actually building things one's self. There also seems to be less of the helpful tips and tricks today, as far as working with materials such a metal and plastic or building stuff ones self. I guess this is because there is so much commercially available. I am not a model engineer, I have only just bought a small lathe, and do not really know how to use it (but it has been fun experimenting), so it would be nice to have a fairly basic and easy to understand article once in a while, dealing with  the basics of using workshop tools slightly more advanced than a screwdriver to create things pertaining to the garden railway hobby. I find Model Engineer a bit over my head !

Having read the comments about the latest SMT, perhaps I should consider re-joining the 16mm Assoc !

MuzTrem

Post by MuzTrem » Fri May 23, 2008 5:55 pm

Well, the members don't seem to be making personal attacks on each other any more so that's one problem solved :)

SillyBilly

Post by SillyBilly » Fri May 23, 2008 6:09 pm

Ye, though there seemed to be a little negativity in Tom Cooper's obituary, compared to the Garden Rail one which was certainly very light hearted. Also want to point out that if Mr. Gorton reads this then I apollogise if I'm sounding to negative!

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:19 pm

Post by steamyjim » Fri May 23, 2008 8:37 pm

Shall i invite Mr Gorton to join the forum? I have his email adress?

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Shropshire, England

Post by mhlr » Fri May 23, 2008 8:38 pm

steamyjim wrote:Shall i invite Mr Gorton to join the forum? I have his email adress?
I dont quite think he'd have the time Jim.... ;)
Image

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:19 pm

Post by steamyjim » Fri May 23, 2008 8:46 pm

True, aulthough he did post on the Mamod Forum for a while. Maybe this is more his sort of thing ;)

ptlrcecil

Post by ptlrcecil » Mon May 26, 2008 1:03 pm

Yeah I saw SMT too. Th only quarrel I have with the NWAG postcars is that half the names are spelt wrong. I checked back on the pictures and names I did for dave and I got them right so I think our editor has been a tad rushed off his feet.

bungle80a

Post by bungle80a » Mon May 26, 2008 8:45 pm

Its such a shame that our (NWAG) article was inaccurate as the rest of the mag seemed really good. I guess everyone who has got their issue of SMuT should be happy, as there are quite a lot of people still waiting, including our illustrious Editor!.

ptlrcecil

Post by ptlrcecil » Wed May 28, 2008 5:08 pm

Mr NWAG claims it must have been like that when I burned the didk exept I still have the original folder and the spellings were correct and there was a group photo.

SLRmidge

Post by SLRmidge » Wed May 28, 2008 5:46 pm

Wonder how Peter's line became the Arnside Castle Rly ? He's not overly chuffed :!:

bungle80a

Post by bungle80a » Wed May 28, 2008 5:48 pm

SLRmidge wrote:Wonder how Peter's line became the Arnside Castle Rly ? He's not overly chuffed  :!:
I bet he's not! I call for a beheading!

SLRmidge

Post by SLRmidge » Wed May 28, 2008 5:52 pm

Or just lock them in his tower & throw away the key !

bungle80a

Post by bungle80a » Wed May 28, 2008 5:53 pm

Dibs on the locos of whoever gets thrown in the tower, or beheaded!

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Wed May 28, 2008 7:39 pm

Don't start Dibs here, and as I put on a comment on your vid, where I come from its bags I!
I must admit I did wonder how the other Silverdale light railway got rendered the Arnside Castle railway- did someone change it to try and advoid confusion between the two lines maybe? :?

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed May 28, 2008 10:51 pm

Yeah, you're right there. Maybe to avoid confusion, they should permanently change their names, or do what two chaps in the south west did. They built a line connecting their 2 railways through an abandonded tunnel under the local motorway.

SLRmidge

Post by SLRmidge » Thu May 29, 2008 9:04 am

Funny you should say that as my line is strickly speaking the Silverdale Light Rly (Northern Section) whilst Peters is the Southern Section both lines being connected via a tunnel! The line disappears under my house & reappears in Peter's garage. ;)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests