Festiniog Flying Bench

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:51 pm

Yes still working on this one and what to use for the aprons I have some sheet lead which folds and creases perfectly to simulate the real thing and does present the prototype colour but this is too heavy so have decided to have a go with paper mache with a tissue finish. I could try leather but I think this would be too stiff and not show folds and creases.

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:21 pm

Some work to do but its taking shape!
Last edited by METHSSNIFFER on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

SillyBilly

Post by SillyBilly » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:29 pm

That canvas looks fantastic.

SLRmidge

Post by SLRmidge » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:43 pm

Very nice. :D

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:25 pm

WOW! :D That looks great. Not something that many people do and it is actually more 'correct' in terms of a vintage train. I have been putting one of these off because I didn't really know how the canvas went. Might just give it a try now! :D Looks superb

Merddin Emrys

Post by Merddin Emrys » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:54 pm

looks great, there's a picture of the full size one on the front cover of the last FR society mag!

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:05 pm

Am I right in thinking that the ffestiniog have just put the material cover back on the full size flying bench?

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Coooor! That looks brill! What did you make the canvas from?
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Merddin Emrys

Post by Merddin Emrys » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:07 pm

yes they have made and fitted new leather covers, and it looks brilliant! :D

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:50 pm

Im now constructing the aprons so all will be revealed soon!

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:33 am

Some tidying up to do now with some buckles to add to aprons  buffers and vac pipes then completed Oh and the crests of course!

and a bit more lining!!
Last edited by METHSSNIFFER on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:40 am

The flash on my camera has highlighted the livery different to the real one but the colour is the same under normal light. I used the recommended paint from phoenix
Last edited by METHSSNIFFER on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:40 pm

Looking very nice. :D

LMS-Jools

Post by LMS-Jools » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:36 pm

Yup and a bit different too. 8)

Merddin Emrys

Post by Merddin Emrys » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:31 pm

I love it :D is it very heavy with all that lead?

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:56 pm

I didnt use lead in the end I formed the aprons from wire mesh and paper mache! Lead was too heavy lol!

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:10 pm

That's another excellent model you've done there! :D Brilliant as ever.

Just took another look at the prototype photo - are you going to hang a hurricane lamp in the centre???

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:13 pm

Thanks for your comments I need to find a lamp, searching on e bay under dolls house miniatures for one though may try to make one.

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:25 pm

I think Chuffed 2 Bits are producing a working one!

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:32 pm

Thanks Ill check them out!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests