Vale of Fairway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Post Reply
User avatar
LNR
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:26 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by LNR » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:19 pm

All that detail is going to look fantastic when painted, do you intend weathering the final paint job?
Grant.

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:50 am

Peter -not sure Mr Essex would be much help as he seemed a very stiff 69 year old on stage but voice just about still there.

Tom - the driver is modelearth and the standing figure a Rob Bennett mini masterpiece. I had hoped to buy some more of his figures at Exeter but I gather from Simon at Modelearth that Rob sold all his Exeter stock to a German just before the show so he didn't attend. He has also hit retirement stage so may be winding down. Buying from Rob via the internet is interesting.

Grant - yes hope to weather to some degree but not sure how far to go. Would Lord someone allow his locos to get too tatty but there again rusty diesels look nice?!

Piotir - thanks for the kind comments, just trying to make the most of what garden is allowed to be used. The bridges are a bit of a sideline and there are about 200 of my sides and bridges dotted around the country + NZ, USA, Australia, France and Switzerland. Not sure if I am a perfectionist but may be the accountancy training makes me like to see things balanced. I always wanted to be a carpenter so may be by building things it is an outlet for that loss?

User avatar
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 8017
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:20 pm
Location: Cheshire
Contact:

Post by ge_rik » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:27 am

Following the build with interest. Great level of detail. I like all the finishing touches.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:49 pm

Thanks Rik, a few more rivets on the cab and I think we will be ready for painting. I will go through your website and try and suss out the receiver and controller options.
I think I will try a red buffer coupling as well and see what looks best. Still weighing up the interior, to cream or to green?..

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:34 pm

Image
Image
Should have fixed the wife's bike, but I "forgot" and got busy with the aerosols, opted for green interior and red buffers. A bit too clean for my liking and may yet add a plate in front of the bonnet on the chassis. Most pctures show open frames so my excuse will be a plate and a low wooden box for starting handle and chains.
Better have a hoover now before she comes home just to keep my nose clean.....

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 5723
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:20 pm

First class work there, looking great!
As you possibly already know, I use Rik's control system and recommend it highly. If you are unsure of the components Rik is always willing to offer advice.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

User avatar
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver
Posts: 4824
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:38 pm

With Peter there, the Deltang stuff Rik sells works great with both electric and live steam locos...

User avatar
philipy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6062
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: South Northants

Post by philipy » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:42 pm

Looking really good, I do like that shade of green, it looks nicely work faded as a basis for weathering. I agree that front buffer beam area looks a bit empty though.
I agree with Peter, Rik's Deltang based kit is the way to go for r/c.
Philip

User avatar
LNR
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:26 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by LNR » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:35 pm

That's come up really well, top job, agree about the colour choice too. As Philip said, looks suitably faded already.
Grant.

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:17 pm

In between laying down some playmobil train stock for young Harvey Broom i have managed to dry brush some humbrol powders onto the chassis and body. Given the levers a touch of red if only to add some colour. I would like to add a florist magnet to hold the bonnet and cab but afeared it be a little too close to the motor. I'm not sure a powerful magnet and an electric motor are a good mix
Image
Image

User avatar
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver
Posts: 4824
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:36 pm

You could use very thin neodymium magnets instead? I use them to hold the roof down on my SL.

The paint job looks bang on!

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:51 pm

tom_tom_go:121450 wrote:You could use very thin neodymium magnets instead?  I use them to hold the roof down on my SL.

The paint job looks bang on!
Thanks Tom, I'm off to ebay for research....

User avatar
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver
Posts: 4824
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:55 pm

Different sizes to suit you sir:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-50-100pcs-N3 ... Ciid%253A9

The magnets don't even need to touch as the magnetic field around them is strong!

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:02 pm

I used a floristry one to hold the cab and bonnet on the baguley conversion, I've ordered small hoping I can "insulate" them from the motor.

User avatar
LNR
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:26 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by LNR » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:10 pm

I just love the superb weathering job. Even a loco that is kept clean, is weathered if you know what I mean. Yours looks "used" and less is best.
You have lavished much time, thought and detail on this loco and the end product is a credit to you.
Grant.

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 5723
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:31 pm

She's a little beauty.... superb finish.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

User avatar
philipy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6062
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: South Northants

Post by philipy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:41 am

I agree with all the other comments, lovely job.
Philip

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:25 pm

Image
Image
Image

Apologies for the quality backdrop :oops: but it's a cold night and not much happening so decided on a quick update. These two were planned before Christmas but the need for me to put on weight held them up a little. No 12 still needs an encounter with the Humbrol weathering powders but getting close to being finished. LGB tipper bodies on resin casting chassis, axleboxes and tipper supports. Bachmann wheels add some weight and overall they weigh in at 6 and half oz each.

User avatar
Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:48 pm
Location: Teesside

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:05 pm

lovely stuff!

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:01 am
Location: haverhill suffok

Post by jim@NAL » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:36 pm

looks brilliant I like the rust

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests