The Awchit and Cyder Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:52 pm

ok so I've had a bit of a garden clean up and it now looks like this;

Waterfall is back in action too!

No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

Roberts wood light railwa
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Roberts wood light railwa » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:44 pm

i have just been having a look at your thread and im really impressed. ive only recently started my line which is basic and alot smalled than yours but if mine looks anyhting like yours when its finished i'll be very happy. well done
If its not made to run on rails I'm not bothered

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:33 pm

Thanks... it's still very much a work in progress... the newest parts are still track on a plank and there's still much to do in terms of planting and making it look like a garden and not like a building site...

The Part where the line runs parallel with Upchit Stream looks a bit like the Aberglaslyn Pass so there will be a tunnel and more rocks to make a steep one sided valley...

Not got any sidings at the moment either... Although I do have the track to lay them.

Roberts wood light railwa
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Roberts wood light railwa » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:44 pm

i dont think a line is ever finished is it? lol looks fantastic as i say. keep up the good work and i shall follow progress of this wonderful line
If its not made to run on rails I'm not bothered

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:43 am

Superior and Barmy have been out in the garden Easter Monday...

Also I built a tunnel... rather poorly built a tunnel...

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:00 am

At present Cyder station doesn't exist so this will need to be rectified in the near future however I'm not certain yet as to where it will be placed... I think once I have the new shed (2ft square) then I'll think about where it'll go but until then I have sidings again!!

Awchit station had a Ffestiniog style make over and now has two sidings for steaming up.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:14 pm

Plenty of opportunity for lining up lots of locos for photographs!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sat May 09, 2015 8:06 pm

Couple of photos from recent goings on...

The First Slate train on the railway.

Even Marmite has been out!

ALL THE APPLES!!!

Wolverton has been out on a "just before work Special"

Cobble stones have been introduced in an attempt to stop ballast creep... Judging from a look see today this hasn't been entirely successful...

Leek and Manifold wagons have appeared!

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Mon May 11, 2015 8:32 pm

Abandoned sand exchange siding on Upchit creek...

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Thu May 14, 2015 8:09 pm

So this turned up...

It's the camera angle... not the chimney

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Sun May 17, 2015 10:43 pm

lucky man!!!
If it can be made full scale it can be made 16mm

My line: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about7200.html

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:58 pm

So its been a while and once again parts of the railway are no longer there or have been altered considerably... all because of this little chap...

Who has a deep fascination with bodies of water... so after a few days of removing him from the pond and an ear infection and expensive vets bill later, the pond had to go... so it is now gone and replaced with a lot of blue slate...

Image[/url

The loco roster has changed also... Leader now has a new home and I've had two new arrivals in the form of a Victory and a Baguley. Rolling stock wise, I've gained five coaches, two opens, one bredgar and wormshill and two Yatton L&M's... Which are huge... they make everything look tiny...and a Gauge 3 wagon for the L&M transporter...

unfortunately the opens were dylan's first instigated derailment...

Victory and the L&M wagons

Victory and the Bredgar and wormshill coach in A&CR livery

One of the L&M's under construction at the Barley Pit Railway, next to one of the resident L&B's and Machlyn

and one suitably muddy Baguley

There are plans to recreate one of the leek and manifold stations on the railway somewhere,most likely the back straight but more on that later.
Last edited by laurence703 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:31 pm

laurence703:112212 wrote:So its been a while and once again parts of the railway are no longer there or have been altered considerably... all because of this little chap...
But you have to love him........ he's gorgeous!
The water and stinky ears problem are a Springer thing. Our two are just the same.
BTW.... the locos and rolling stock look great too!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:43 am

He's not gorgeous when he's rugby tackling the L&M transporter wagon and wanting to attack the baguley... Thankfully he's not fussed by steam locos... too much...

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:57 am

Plenty of activity - I can't keep up!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:32 pm

Just wait till I've finished those 2 small carriages.... Your line will require some more work on the track bed then :P
If it can be made full scale it can be made 16mm

My line: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about7200.html

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:44 pm

Every home needs a dog. I have a border collie that likes adjusting track work. They get better with time. Sort off
'Professional Bodge artist '

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:57 am

So once again I've neglected this thread and the railway has seen some change...
A week or two ago the back fence decided it wanted a lie down during the high winds. Not just a panel or two... the whole lot went. So a morning was spent recovering usable panels and a trip to B&Q for the necessary fence posts and other bits and pieces. Within a few hours I had rebuilt the back fence and made the garden an absolute wasteland in the process.

So yeah, the garden is a mess and there's not a great deal I can do until Spring.

But on the plus side, the new fence has allowed for a bit more room on the back straight for a Leek and Manifold inspired station.
One more thing that has come to my attention is a little dodgy bit of track that really does give a rough ride so that'll be rectified but while I'm at it I'm going to attempt to level out the back straight just a little bit cause it goes up hill then drops like a lead balloon.

Then of course there's the question of clearances again... Victory fouls Awchit Platform and I have a feeling the two rather long Yatton L&M's will foul it as well... and probably everything else in the garden... But there's no way of telling this until they arrive on the A&CR.

Stock update:
"Wedge" the railways newest snowplough has recently been made fit for traffic by adding some weight to it. Meaning that "Jaws" the original snowplough can now be retired.

"The Spanish Acquisition" (Isibutu) has been started on by DLR Dan and is progressing well by all accounts. It started out as a kit of parts... most of these have been scrapped and now there's not much original left of it... just the body and the odd Roundhouse parts. Everything esle is being built from new.

"Boxy" needs its batteries changing for the second time this year... not bad for x8 AA's

"Dylan" the ELR Quarry hunslet has been back to ELR to have its wheels turned and it's tank repaired after it split a little bit. It's also received a little bit of paint in places and still runs incredibly well.

"Baguley" has been back to Barley Hill for some TLC after it stopped... no idea what happened but its now running much better now.

"Superior" has found a new home due to funds being required for the wedding... a shame but it had to happen.

"Wolverton" has a new DJB resonator whistle and sounds rather nice.

"Ofario" hasn't seen the sunlight in a very long time now and won't see the sunlight until next year when I have a mad moment.

"E.R.Calthrop" is quite happy sitting in its box for the moment until I've tinkered with the track a bit.

And that just leaves "Charlie" the line's Bertie class loco, "Charlie" had a good run at Brambleton recently and is still one of the nicest engines to just set and leave it to do its thing... plod about at a nice pace with a nice long train of wagons.

All in all things are alright rolling stock wise, the two open coaches are now flat wagons with ends, just looking for some suitable loads for them now.
Something else that's lurking in the shadows is a rather large lump of metal on a 4 wheel chassis that once I've made a good solid coupling for will be used for load trials...

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:16 pm

The Isibutu, wouldnt of had a bad chassis, okish body, very basic boiler, and mostly roundhouse parts
'Professional Bodge artist '

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:49 pm

Isibutu's frames had holes drilled wrong other than that they were alright, The boiler we both looked at and both said no chance is that being used... it weighed a lot more than it should have. The body wants a little bit of cleaning up, but other than that its ok, wants new Smokebox, new footplate and new bogie and wheelsets, minus the drivers, they're ok. Apart from that its ready to roll...