Page 54 of 61

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:31 pm
by DVT Dweller
Have you seen the length of the CVLR? Think WCML but slightly more level...... I think for mamods it would have to be a relay pass the train on to a new mamod at every loop :lol:

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:36 pm
by laurence703
Prehaps a half way service in a loop or siding and then continue?

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:14 pm
by Pendo Pilot
On top of the length of the line which is a good size I believe, it's the parts between loops that would cause issues for a mamod's. Because I wanted a railway where the loco's had to work there is some good gradients. Combined with the length between the loops the locos would be pushed to maintain good pressure whilst working hard. With a light train this is possible as even my mamod has done bottom to top in one go (with one wagon in tow). But it only did it once. A better mamod could well do it I suppose. Either way I look forward to trying it. ;)

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:16 pm
by laurence703
The CVLR Loco trials? be a bit like King of N.W.A.G lol

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:18 pm
by Pendo Pilot
Not had much chance to fettle this week thanks to stupid day shifts.. But the branch has started to be bedded in. The retaining wall needs columns cast for the gaps & then painted & more earth fill & edging needed at the back. Footbridge to go back in as well.

Image
From the loop you can just see the branch approaching from the left.

Image
An overview of the branch Jnc area.

Image
Branch Jnc & retaining wall.

Image
Looking up the unballested branch towards the Jnc.

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:27 pm
by DolwyddelanLightRail
Is the branch flat, or on a slight incline, cause if it is on an incline, what gradient is the mainline at?

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:30 pm
by Pendo Pilot
Mainlines flat (ish, to CVLR version of flat anyway), branch drops away from Jnc. Idea being that stuff coming off the branch will have to give it some beans with a long train for accoustic effect off retaining wall. :D

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:51 pm
by dougrail
DolwyddelanLightRail:67849 wrote:
Pendo Pilot:67842 wrote:All challengers welcome Trebbers, however like the modern railway we charge delay fees of the usual £1000 a minute for delay from other TOCs.. :-)
Will the opposite apply if it runs early? And is the track access charge included in that :lol:

Loz, Britomart has a 40psi boiler however every little help would most likely be needed! :lol:
Image

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:54 pm
by laurence703
It seems you have three people that have accepted the challenge!

Britomart, Swordbreaker and Ofario... That would make quite an impressive triple header would it not? Any thoughts on this gents?

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:59 pm
by dougrail
If James can make it, I reckon the "Blues Bros" could have a pretty good stab now Swordbreaker's also had the DolLR treatment 8)

Where did the 'Ofario' name come from? :)

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:05 pm
by laurence703
dougrail:67943 wrote:If James can make it, I reckon the "Blues Bros" could have a pretty good stab now Swordbreaker's also had the DolLR treatment  8)

Where did the 'Ofario' name come from? :)
The name Ofario was a mistake I made on a headboard for a 15" gauge Severn Lamb Rio... The headboard was supposed to say "Return of a Rio" but I put the letters too close together and it said "Return Ofario"... its an ongoing joke between myself and a friend... I thought he should name the Rio that but he didn't want to so I kept the name.

I think it would be a good laugh, three mamods or four mamods on a fantastic railway. Obviously with Shane's approval lol he might not have a railway left if we've set fire to it!

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:06 pm
by DolwyddelanLightRail
dougrail:67943 wrote:If James can make it, I reckon the "Blues Bros" could have a pretty good stab now Swordbreaker's also had the DolLR treatment  8)

Where did the 'Ofario' name come from? :)
It would be quite easy to do that, Britomart would just have it's burner like it normally is, Swordbreaker have it's gas turned high and for Ofario if you'd let me have a little fettle with the burner Laurence that would also help as well.....


......might even be able to haul a standard CVLR length train with that! :lol:

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:13 pm
by dougrail
And now that I have one of Dan The Man's weighted domes, it would look much more stylish :lol:

I'm in, maybe late summer-autumn time :P Need to finish No.3, get my monies and then overhaul Swordbreaker - including finishing the livery.

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:44 pm
by Pendo Pilot
Sounds like a plan, now I wonder should we schedule this for the May open day or another date? Would be more fun with a few of the other regulars here to witness the events unfold. Oh & remember a standard (ish) CVLR train is anything between 8 & 18 wagons (accucraft size). The ultimate challenge is of course going clockwise round as then you have to tackle "Box Bank" (named after Matts rather powerful Box cab failing to lift its train up it). Box bank climbs obviously the same height as if you went anti clockwise up Mawll & Llangunllo banks. It just does it in half the distance! :roll: :twisted:

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:47 pm
by laurence703
When is the May open day? I ask because May is normally hectic for me!

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:56 pm
by Pendo Pilot
Havent set a date yet Loz, need to find out when DVT dweller, Narrow minded, Sir Haydn & Hussra are all available for a recreation of last years. Plus more with a bit of luck for total railway carnage!

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:05 pm
by Narrow Minded
It's all looking mighty fine there Shane - lurve the retaining wall! :D

All this "Mamod Challenge" is making me smile too! ;)

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:12 pm
by Pendo Pilot
Narrow Minded:67950 wrote:All this "Mamod Challenge" is making me smile too! ;)
Ta, ;) .

Thats why I would like to have the mamod challenge as part of the open day for added fun. Should be good stuff. Most powerful mamod on the CVLR, longest duration of mamod etc etc.. :shock: :D

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:15 pm
by Narrow Minded
Pendo Pilot:67952 wrote:
Narrow Minded:67950 wrote:All this "Mamod Challenge" is making me smile too! ;)
Ta,  ;)  .

Thats why I would like to have the mamod challenge as part of the open day for added fun. Should be good stuff. Most powerful mamod on the CVLR, longest duration of mamod etc etc..  :shock:  :D
It doesn't take "Mystic Meg" to tell you that the out-takes alone will make a complete movie ;)

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:15 pm
by laurence703
Some mamods are a force to be reckoned with... there are videos on youtube of them pulling quite considerable length trains and doing it well!
This is shaping up to be a very good day :)