Billy with various added details and snow

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:57 pm

Keith S:96504 wrote: Good point. The Inuit never developed railways though, and Canadian trains from that era bear a closer resemblance to American ones.
Aust. Aborigines never developed railways either, but two of my locos have an aboriginal name, as many of their words have entered the local version of English......

I'm sure we've had this discussion before, but as 'they' say, there's a prototype for everything.

Have a look at the third photo down, taken in Toronto during WW1. It would seem that Canadian builders also copied German industrial locos. Granted it has the obligatory bell and US style headlight, but it also has the look of an O&K like Billy.

http://torontoist.com/2011/10/historici ... aterfront/

Regards,
Graeme

Marquis DeCarabas
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Marquis DeCarabas » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:33 pm

Keith S:96504 wrote:The engine's name is weird, but I like Inuit stuff.
You missed a trick - I think oᒥᖕᒪᒃ would look quite nice as a nameplate.
De Carabas

At the service of angelislington

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:49 pm

GTB:96497 wrote:It looks very nice. I do like a red loco.....

I've never seen that much snow. I hope the clanking noise in the background was a brass monkey passing by and not worn side rods........... ;)

Keith S:96478 wrote:  But seriously I should look up head codes and figure out what they mean. I simply have the lanterns like that because I have two of them and I like how it looks with one on top of the smokebox and I'll lose the other one if I don't put it on the loco somewhere.
The loco has an Inuit name so presumably it runs on a Canadian railway. Why would anyone assume it uses UK headcodes? :roll:

Graeme
I only mentioned the headcode to tease Keith, he always seems irritated by rivet counting ;)
A steam propelled life-style.

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:03 pm

You have done a really nice job with all the add ons and made it a unique engine. The photos in the snow show it off very well.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:59 pm

GTB:96525 wrote: I'm sure we've had this discussion before, but as 'they' say, there's a prototype for everything.

Have a look at the third photo down, taken in Toronto during WW1. It would seem that Canadian builders also copied German industrial locos. Granted it has the obligatory bell and US style headlight, but it also has the look of an O&K like Billy.

http://torontoist.com/2011/10/historici ... aterfront/

Regards,
Graeme
I have to say I'm impressed by your research skills. I wonder where that locomotive was built, whether it's a Canadian copy, an actual O&K or maybe even one of Barclay's O&K-influenced engines. It doesn't appear to have the same design of boiler, but the cab certainly looks familiar, as do the tiny cylinders and well-tank frame. Those things seem to pop up everywhere.

Pauly is right though, I'm not really interested in specific prototypes. When I bought the kits to build my engine, I didn't know what it was supposed to look like in real life, I just thought it looked like a nice engine. I just wanted a steam model and I think it's nice to keep it ambiguous with respect to what, exactly, it's a model OF. That way I can happily run it with all kinds of rolling stock you would never see together in real life. When I eventually do have a proper railway to run it on, that particular "head code" will mean "look out, there's a train coming". That's it.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:10 am

Aha! Next thing coming in the post is a WHISTLE! I'll put up a picture of that when it arrives.