Project Double Fairlie

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
lukejpetch
Cleaner
Cleaner

Project Double Fairlie

Post by lukejpetch » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:35 pm

Hi All,

Today I started balancing together components for my latest project, a mamod based double fairlie.

I should say that, whilst I am starting this today and do intend on keeping track of my progress by posting on here - I don't anticipate this being a fast turn around kind of thing. Rather unfortunately I've exams at sixth form and such that won't go away so this will be an as and when project that hopefully I learn something from!

I've been inspired by a few other who have achieved similar things and would like to do the same, I haven't yet decided whether I'll make my own boiler or go for a stationary engine type set up - but we'll soon see.

Here you can see the two (bits of) chassis, or bogies rather, balanced together for an initial photo.

I've marked the length I want to cut the chassis down by.

And the final one for now, the four! frames bolted together prior to their shortening.

Things next on the list to do:
Cut the frames, bolt back together to see what it looks like.
Mark and cut the smokeboxes, I'll be mounting these on the boiler so will remove the buffer beams.
Source some more parts!

Cheers, await the next update! :)

PS. Hopefully this is interesting to a few people! I will be asking for help along the way and learning too! :)
Ames Light Railway
Chief Engineer - Luke Petch

"So Luke, is this the one that set fire to the track?"

WVLR
Fireman
Fireman

Post by WVLR » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:51 pm

Good luck with the project which I will be following with interest.
Mike

Wood Valley Works
http://www.woodvalleyworks.co.uk

Wood Valley Light Railway
http://www.wvlr.co.uk

lukejpetch
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by lukejpetch » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:59 pm

A bit boring but it's an update before I get stuck into a few days of Mock Exams.

The Chassis are shortened as below, this brings there length to around 150mm which is a tad longer than I wanted. So I may bring them back further (closer) to the rear driver, then re-drill for a supporting chassis spacer.

I have also decided that I will position the bogies such that the reversing lever is in front of the smokeboxes rather than with the reverser through the cut out as per standard mamods.

That's all for now!
Expect another update when some more bits have arrived in a week or so ;-)
Ames Light Railway

Stuvon
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Stuvon » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:07 pm

lukejpetch:95527 wrote:So I may bring them back further (closer) to the rear driver,
Great project! Always been tempted by doing this but have been put off by the work involved.

I think you need to consider the balance of the bogie. The weight of the cylinders will try to tip the bogie up which could make them stiff to pivot.

Either you will have to add a counter weight (like the real thing) or, you could move the pivot point towards the rear axle to have the same effect?

Good luck and keep us updated!
Stuart
Manager: Notley Docks Light Railway - Stanway Works
www.photobucket.com/ndlr

lukejpetch
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by lukejpetch » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:27 pm

Either you will have to add a counter weight (like the real thing) or, you could move the pivot point towards the rear axle to have the same effect?
My plans are to move the pivot towards the rear axle as you said there, and to have the rear frame spacer as a solid section of brass that runs the height of the frames rather than just a cylindrical spacer - with the aim of correcting (or aiding in) the centre of gravity.

Thanks for you comments, keep 'em coming and that way the updates will flow! :D

Spoke to a friend in the club at the weekend about having some parts machined up so progress is still being made (of sorts)!

Hope to get a few more bits done during the week, smokeboxes are next for cutting up and then I will begin to think about re-assembling the bogies. I will have to work out some measurements before I go to much further so I know where I am mounting the bogies etc. in relation to body and boiler length <- added to the growing list!

Cheers!
Ames Light Railway

lukejpetch
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by lukejpetch » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:42 pm

Another little update, I've been cutting up smokeboxes these past few evenings - Although they're not finished (need that Fairlie shape to the base plates) I thought I'd share them.

I think I'll finish rounding these off and purchase the next series of bits for the project, as I don't seem to have gotten any replied to my 'wanted' post on the forum!

Cheers :)
Ames Light Railway

lukejpetch
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by lukejpetch » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:08 pm

Hi All,

Been working away on the DF project over the last few days. Some computer trickery gives us the below image - 'this is what we hope it'll look like' kind of thing.

I've finished one of the smokeboxes, I think I'll whack on some sort of overlay over all the holes David has cut in the smokebox plate.

I should add that David is the chap from our group who gave me this magical box of bits to build the double fairlie. He is also going to machine up the pivot for me!

Here's another one of the back end, or front end balanced together. I think it shows that the chassis is far too short pretty well too. Hopefully I shall take some steps to resolving this soon! I will be mounting a centre buffer in front of the reverser too - hopefully it doesn't look too odd.

A friend should be sending over some bits at the end of the week, and I'll order the brand new parts that I need too - then begin thinking about boiler making... More learning!

Cheers ;-)
Ames Light Railway

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:08 am

Some good progress Luke - I look forward to seeing how you get on with this interesting project.

Have you seen this thread over on the Unofficial Mamod and Other Steam Forum? http://modelsteam.myfreeforum.org/about14110.html

A lot of excellent information for your build perhaps?

Good luck!

lukejpetch
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by lukejpetch » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:19 pm

Superbiker_uk:96360 wrote:Have you seen this thread over on the Unofficial Mamod and Other Steam Forum? http://modelsteam.myfreeforum.org/about14110.html
Thanks very much, I had read through it a few times before considering my own approach - I'll be attacking it in a similar way to what 'Titan' has done with his build.

Unfortunately I haven't had the time to do that much over the last two weeks, I've been preparing for my driving test which on monday! :shock:

Will hopefully have some more to report over the half term week off of college.

Cheers :-)
Ames Light Railway

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:36 am

lukejpetch:96782 wrote: Unfortunately I haven't had the time to do that much over the last two weeks, I've been preparing for my driving test which on monday!  
Good luck with your test :)

lukejpetch
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by lukejpetch » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:17 pm

Pleased to report that a few parts for the Mamod DF were picked up at P'boro on Saturday.

The side tanks, new cylinder for leading bogie and con rods for the same bogie were purchased from RWM. I now only need two more frame spacers and a cab from to begin re assembly of the steam bogies - then onto worrying about boilers!

Took plenty of photographs of 'Heritage' DFs at the show, which will provide plenty of inspiration when it comes to paint and cab/steam connection layouts.

Cheers! :-)
Ames Light Railway

KNO3
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by KNO3 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:49 am

Pics would be appreciated :-)

BTW, what happened to the driving test?

lukejpetch
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by lukejpetch » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:49 am

(Passed the driving test with just two minors- and have been the happy owner/driver of an 04 Reg Corsa for the last two months.)

I'm away for a couple of days but will post some photos of what I picked up and my Heritage DF inspirations! :-)

Cheers!
Ames Light Railway

KNO3
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by KNO3 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:45 pm

Congratulations! Try to avoid racing on the streets though :-)

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:50 pm

Not really qualified to talk about mamods (although I look forward to seeing what is the second mamod double fairlie to be documented on this forum) but well done on the driving test. I passed one minor second time round and have an 06 Corsa.... 8)
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:01 pm

Corsa's are ok I supose but you really need a Focus :D
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:27 am

Corsa's are ok I suppose but you really need a Focus
As long as you are not using them in Scottish winters. Had lots of problems with the brakes (badly warped front disks, seized on handbrake cable, etc.). Always been a Vauxhall fan previously (Cavalier then Astra's) before this Ford but the Corsa driver's position is too cramped for my 6' stature.

Chris Cairns.

lukejpetch
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by lukejpetch » Thu May 01, 2014 12:06 am

Chris Cairns:99611 wrote:the Corsa driver's position is too cramped for my 6' stature.
Chris Cairns.
I'm 6'3" so it does look a little funny when I climb out of it (I definitely agree about the cramped driving position -it's only when i see other people driving I realise how tight it is!) Anyway, back to the project chaps!

Some great progress has been made over the last few days, I now have all the body panels I need to complete the engine, all of which have been primed and are ready for painting (Haven't decided a colour yet - might pontificate for a while to put off worrying about the tricky stuff to come!)

Here's what I picked up from the show as mentioned in a previous post. Mike Chaney cylinders for the leading bogie, new side tanks, new RWM con rods and some other bits and bobs.

Here's the bits that I had so far, just after the show - they are beginning to appear now!

I placed an order with Roy Wood for the remaining body panels and my frame spacers which I have been meaning to get for so long! They arrived last week.

I began priming parts at the beginning of this week and these are the results so far.

Yes, before you ask, I have done my maths right. I have since finished priming the fourth one!

All looking good!

I also had this arrive the other day, it's the Tee Piece that will be used to split the steam pipe from the lubricator/regulator to the two steam bogies. I was discussing this elsewhere and decided that one roundhouse (or RWM) displacement lubricator would suffice - although I have seen plenty of examples with two. (I will get round to posting some of my photos of the double fairlies on display at P'boro soon!)

I've also got some flexible pipe on order - it's actually the same stuff what's used for engine coolant so it should be good up to around 200 degrees or something like that - will update you when it arrives.

That's all for a little while again folks! I shall be contemplating colour schemes, burner arrangements, and steam pipe arrangements in between revision for the fast approaching set of exams!

Ames Light Railway

lukejpetch
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by lukejpetch » Sun May 11, 2014 11:15 pm

A touch more progress.

I was spurred on to prime all of the body parts and bolt them together after the FR's recent work.

And now my attempt.

The last view of project DF for this update.

Just the steam bogies and a bit of plumbing to assemble, then on to worrying about the boiler and burner!

One last found I found online earlier. This time of FR Double Fairlie 'Merddin Emrys'. I reckon I might be able to achieve something that looks a bit like that... (Especially with Swift Sixteen's new Mamod Dome!)

Ames Light Railway

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon May 12, 2014 12:16 am

This is coming along very well Luke.

Are you going to upgrade the other set of cylinders to 'O' ring pistons? I know Ian (Titan) had to do that with his build to have similar performance power units. Mike Chaney upgrades are rare to find these days. I had 2 of those 'O' ring piston kits - one ended up in those MSS cylinders you now have from Sam and the other went to another Mamodificationist.

Chris Cairns