One of a kind?

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Post Reply
User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 5723
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

One of a kind?

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:47 pm

Many years ago, when I had the opportunity to visit places of interest, I spotted this item put in a siding on a preservation site and have wondered since what it could possibly have been intended for?
If it could be identified as a useful piece of equipment on a garden line I will make one as a talking point. However, I need to know its purpose and origin as people will never believe me otherwise.

Image
Sorry for the poor quality of the picture as this is a photo of a 35mm photograph.

User avatar
Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 632
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:57 am
Location: Forest of Dean, UK
Contact:

Post by Dannypenguin » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:50 pm

Wow, thats an interesting one! :) Is it powered? I can't see any other reason for the outside cranks but there is no visible driving cab...
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:49 pm

If that was taken as the same time as the Fowler, it's at Armley Mills, Leeds.

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 5723
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:35 pm

Yes Brian, it was and you can just about see it on the Fowler picture.
I told you I had been to Armley Mills but the picture didn't stir the grey matter!
Anyway, what is it?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:43 pm

I would hazard a guess at possibly a battery loco.
Or possibly a remote controlled unit of some kind or other, either as a stand alone driverless loco or an additonal power source, I think the yanks call them 'helpers'.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:47 pm

The colour suggests possible MOD origins, Target tug?

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:18 pm

Looks a bit big - the ones I saw at Dungeness were small enough for you to sit on!

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 676
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: kent england

Post by invicta280 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:00 am

Looks like a powered 'slave' unit to attach to a loco providing additional traction/braking.

Crackingjob

Post by Crackingjob » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:29 pm

Get rid of the box on top and its a bit like the Guinness converter truck for their small locos!

User avatar
Andrew
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3422
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:33 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:12 am

MDLR:94938 wrote:Looks a bit big - the ones I saw at Dungeness were small enough for you to sit on!
Now I don't want to be accused of Health and Safety gone mad etc etc, but that doesn't sound like a great idea to me!!!

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:46 am

They didn't do it often.................... and certainly NOT when they were "under fire"!

User avatar
alanf
Cleaner
Cleaner
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: South Cheshire

Post by alanf » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:24 am

It's the remnants of a standard gauge coke oven loco (Greenwood & Batley 2543 of 1955) ex Smithywood Coking Plant, it's missing it's very tall cab.

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 5723
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:40 pm

alanf:95028 wrote:It's the remnants of a standard gauge coke oven loco (Greenwood & Batley 2543 of 1955) ex Smithywood Coking Plant, it's missing it's very tall cab.
Thanks for that, confirmation of another message kindly sent to me from Narrow Minded, along with picture which shows the very tall cab and the locos in use. I have never seen anything like it before but it proves what they say.....'you couldn't make it up!'

Woodfields Light Railway

Post by Woodfields Light Railway » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:57 pm

im confused..... (i always am.) Could you post that picture here plz, to make my brain work? ta.

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:43 pm

Woodfields Light Railway:95048 wrote:im confused..... (i always am.) Could you post that picture here plz, to make my brain work? ta.
coke oven loco in google images brings up some strange specimens, you live and learn, very interesting.

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 5723
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:34 pm

Thanks again Bazzer 42, I've followed the link and now I'm a believer!!! Never seen anything like those things before but they are designed for a specific purpose and I doubt I would have seen one on my local line.
I guess they are IC powered, not battery?
Perhaps I won't be making one after all..... I don't have a coking plant on my railway, yet!!!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests