PD Hancock Tram

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
MVL Bridges
Cleaner
Cleaner

PD Hancock Tram

Post by MVL Bridges » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:41 pm

Hello everyone,
In a moment of impulse when the heart ruled the head yesterday I purchased this Sheffield Tram on Ebay. The listing claims it was owned by the late P D Hancock and could be seen on his Torlum Hill Light Railway. It is unpowered and is set at 45mm gauge and is 16mm/ft scale.
I thought that at £25 Buy it Now it was worth a look.
Although it hasn't arrived yet I was wondering if anyone can help with its history. Any information or pictures of the Torlum Hill Light Railway would be much appreciated.
Like many people, it was PD Hancock's 'Narrow Gauge Adventure' which fired my early railway modelling interests and it would be great to have something of this great man on my railway.
So can anyone help?
Thanks
Michael

OldMetaller
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by OldMetaller » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:02 am

Hi Michael, I can't help with the history although of course I remember reading about PD Hancock's works when I was a kid 40 years ago.

I can, however, see that lovely vehicle as a trailer coach behind a narrow gauge version of the Wantage Tramway's 'Jane'. :)
Regards,

John.

MVL Bridges
Cleaner
Cleaner

PD Hancock Tram

Post by MVL Bridges » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:09 am

Thanks for that John.
I have managed to obtain a copy of the Railway Modeller May 1996 containing an article he wrote on the progress of his garden railway, the Torlum Hill Light Railway. On page 199 is a superb photo showing part of his Glen Vrackie Tramway
and there at the station is this very tram. Unfortunately he doesn't refer to it specifically in the text.
My plan for the tram is to motorise it and possibly add a simple radio control. My efforts to find a suitable motorised tram chassis were unsuccessful. However I have ordered a chassis from Essel Engineering to the correct wheelbase. This should fit inside the dummy frames which were presumably constructed by PD Hancock. The chassis will be dual gauge 35mm/45mm. How I fit batteries, switches, etc. will be decided later. My aim is to alter the tram as little as possible. I might not even restore the paintwork but we will wait and see.
I will add updates on progress.
What I would be really interested in is some definite evidence that PD H actually built the tram.
Thanks for the interest.
Michael

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:43 pm

25pounds well spent

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:19 pm

jim@NAL:92544 wrote:25pounds well spent
Indeed, and £25 going to a good cause. All of PD Hancock's Garden Rail models were donated to the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway Preservation Society in PD Hancock's Will and were disposed of for the benefit of the Society funds. A number of projects are being funded by this bequest, and others including a new water column at Dalegarth, work to improve The Green station with a new picnic area and rebuilding of Fisherground halt with platform and station shelter. Additionally, it is proposed to finance the construction of a new steam loco for the line, but this would require much additional funding.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."