Kenversions Parts

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Kenversions Parts

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:16 am

As advertised in the August 1984 edition of Railway Modeller. I am fortunate to have many of these parts - not the tender though. They are great Mamod enhancement pieces.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:48 am

The last time we discussed Kenversion parts there was a suggestion that Ken Best was going to start them up again.

However I think that was just wishful thinking on the part of the correspondent. I think the very small market for these now would make them rather expensive to produce.

Do you have a photo Peter that shows how to use the metal plate with the burner for mounting - last time you suggested it was not used as a chassis spacer but something to do with fixing to the cab back if I recall correctly.

Chris Cairns.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:15 am

Ah, Kenversions....three years ago I'd have murdered for one of their tenders and a saddle-tank bodykit. Nowdays such would be impractical given the future but it would have been nice if originally my flagship engine had been a George England.

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:48 am

Chris Cairns:88557 wrote:Do you have a photo Peter that shows how to use the metal plate with the burner for mounting - last time you suggested it was not used as a chassis spacer but something to do with fixing to the cab back if I recall correctly.
Hi Chris - couple of quick pictures. These are from another 'special' Mamod I have built but have never shown in public. Here is the cab rear - yes the loco is Mamod red :) - same colour as the stationary engine bases. You will see the Kenversions coal bunker and the piece of metal strip supplied with the kenversions 'cut frame' burners attached to the inside of the cab. I think they used to get soldered on as part of the conversion but I used a 6BA screw. The tab is shaped to push against the meths tank filler / breather tube and so hold the burner in place by pushing it against the boiler back plate. It works very well and is a neat way to secure the burner once the cab rear is replaced on the loco.

Image Image

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:32 pm

That is great. Thank you for posting those photos Peter.

Chris Cairns.

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:09 pm

I thought that was one of your coal bunkers for a moment Peter. ;)