SVLR - progress being made

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
tegfan railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

SVLR - progress being made

Post by tegfan railway » Wed May 08, 2013 7:22 am

Image[/img]

I know I am probably doing this wrong, but its my railway and this is the way I decided to work. I have split my build into phases where I survey, lay the track, landscape, plant then ballast for each phase rather than laying all the track first. I am in the process of completing the Phase 1 green house loop. Track is the popular PECO SM32, it is laid on a combination of concrete blocks and cast concrete. I have used some miniature slow growing conifers, thymes, some small leaved shrubs whose names escape me and some mind your own business. Need to take a few weeks break in construction, phase 2 will commence in a few weeks.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed May 08, 2013 8:12 am

Nice progress!
I can't see why you think you're "doing it wrong" - one of the golden rules for gaining momentum is to Get Something Running!, if it's running through a completed section then so much the better I'd say :D

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:49 am

Arhh I think it looks great. When the connifers get to twice the size i.e. in two years time pull them out buy some new small ones to replace or change. errr most rolling stock even locos can be made to go round Peco 605 set track curves.....Looks lovely keep going.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed May 08, 2013 9:02 am

Very scenic. Looks like a garden railway rather than just a railway garden.

Keep up the good work :)

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Wed May 08, 2013 9:04 am

That's coming along nicely! :D

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed May 08, 2013 9:39 am

steamie1:83205 wrote:When the connifers get to twice the size i.e. in two years time pull them out buy some new small ones to replace or change.
Or - keep pruning them and you'll effectively "Bonsai" them as well as creating proper shapes. I even have some Oak trees on the W&L that have been there for years which I grew from acorns, absolutely no need to keep uprooting and replacing stuff! ;)

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Wed May 08, 2013 11:07 am

looking nice and tidy, not like a building site, will keep watching

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed May 08, 2013 8:14 pm

A fantastic start, nice one! It'll look lovely with a train chugging round it.

All the best,

Andrew.

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:16 pm

Hows your railway going

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:13 am

Lovely job!

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: SVLR - progress being made

Post by andymctractor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:32 pm

tegfan railway:83201 wrote:
I know I am probably doing this wrong,
??????
Looks fine to me.
One mistake I made when I started out was to try and catch up too quickly with other members of our local group, some of whom had been garden railwaying for many years. Your method allows you to enjoy developing your railway at your own pace. When you get fed up of running up and down a short bit of track you will be encouraged to get on with the next phase. Also you will develop new skills as you go along and might come back and make changes to the earlier phases anyway.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:16 pm

I found hebes incredible and can be trimmed to suit scale.
Watch out for your skyrocket they shoot up really quickly

tegfan railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by tegfan railway » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:23 pm

METHSSNIFFER:88804 wrote:Hows your railway going
Progress has been quite slow, I can only really get things done during school holidays. Summer and half term I had other things needed doing so I was planning a push over Christmas. Saddly after a stint in hospital I am on light duties. I have an electric loco and some rolling stock to build so that should keep me happy. Will post updates once more progress is made.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:41 pm

Light Duties are not a bad thing. I find a few weeks of nothing heavy means the collection of unbuilt kits goes down. I also think that a time away from a project can give you a bit of thinking time so when you do get back to it you know exactly what you want to do.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

tegfan railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by tegfan railway » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:20 pm

I am glad in a sense that I had a light duties ticket, since posting the weather went upside down. I wouldn't have been able to get any track laying done as the monsoon arrived and the ground was waterlogged! Anyway on the one dry day I was allowed out, we took the dog for a walk in the foothills of the brecon beacons at the top of the Swansea valley. I came across some old lime kilns a quarry and remains of a permanent way. When I got home I ordered a brace of Swift Sixteen tube wagons with the view to building a quarry section. They have not arrived yet, will post pictures as soon as I make a start along with pictures of the hopefully finished electric quarry shunter.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:07 pm

keep conafers in there pots they wont grown very big then iv done this and it works well