TPO in trouble

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Andrew

TPO in trouble

Post by Andrew » Fri May 03, 2013 1:27 pm

Hi all,

Just found this video of a rather unfortunate incident involving the Great Central's Ivatt mogul and TPO. It's a strangely undramatic clip in which almost nothing happens. "Almost" being the key word there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr5EztEPJS8

Cheers,

Andrew

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri May 03, 2013 3:08 pm

Already been discussed elsewhere by the Heritage Railway community on-line.

Unlikely RAIB will be involved so down to what the GCR will release publicly.

That is the problem with today's society and personal equipment - too many cameras and mobile phones around to quickly record the unusual (Big Brother is indeed watching).

No one seems to have yet posted the lifting by the steam crane - http://youtu.be/qflXYQqbd4M

Chris Cairns.

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Fri May 03, 2013 3:19 pm

Cor! Thats rare! Never seen one like that. Loco crew probably being lynched!
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Fri May 03, 2013 5:58 pm

Too early to say. He's obviously been cautioned by that signal, all the whistling suggests that. Signalman hasn't set the catch points and drivers not spotted it so blame could go either way, without the full facts we can only speculate. The armchair expert brigades been commenting on youtube already with stupid comments.
proudly flying in the face of convention

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri May 03, 2013 6:47 pm

Nice demo of the effectiveness of catchpoints though! ;)

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri May 03, 2013 7:20 pm

As has been pointed out elsewhere on-line these are actually trap points, being used to protect the main line from traffic from sidings (as here) or a branch line.

Catch points are used to derail vehicles which are out of control down steep slopes.

Chris Cairns.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri May 03, 2013 8:09 pm

My bad, Catch Points is the "catch all" term I always use anyway, but beside that, I always associate "Trap Points" with a sand drag and "Catch Points" with derailing into the cess (as in the video ;))
I guess I should have studied the Quorn & Woodhouse track plan before commenting, sorry 8)

(My mind was elsewhere - thinking about protecting the main running line at the Butterley Garden Railway from drivers who fail to observe the right of way.... those reading this will know who they are :lol: )
Last edited by Narrow Minded on Fri May 03, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri May 03, 2013 8:10 pm

There's a set of these at the mid suffolk light railway. They both stop wagons from running down hill AND from entering the main line. What are they called?
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri May 03, 2013 9:15 pm

No need to apologise Greg. I was fortunate to be the recipient of a chain e-mail from a Heritage Railway discussing this incident, and the correct phrase of trap point was pointed out there.

At Dunaskin the ARPG has a set of catch points fitted on the track from the shed to the platform. These are clamped and padlocked open during running days to prevent any vehicles coming down from the shed, which cannot be seen from the platform.

Zach I'm no expert but it sounds like your point would be trap points. Have a look at the photo in Wikipedia from the NYMR. It shows the train approaching up the gradient from Grosmont with the catch points ahead of the train on the main line, and the trap points and sand trap on the station passing loop on the left - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Catch_trap_drag.jpg

Chris Cairns.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon May 13, 2013 7:33 pm

The blame clearly belongs to Murphy-of-the-Law fame....

AND....

Oh for the days when one could utter a few well chosen expletives and quietly re-rail the errent vehicle with t'Brass being none the wiser and the onlookers regarding it as a great wheeze!

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.