Swansea Vale Light Railway (SVLR) - maybe???

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
tegfan railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by tegfan railway » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:26 pm

Keith S:69078 wrote:Your wife wants a bridge or a tunnel? It sounds like all of your problems are good ones! I'm afraid there's only one thing MY wife wants: NO RAILWAY!!!

(Just a joke really, she's been indulgently supportive of my rolling-stock building activities, but we don't even have a garden)
I am quite lucky, she is very supportive of all my model hobbies RC Gliders and Helicopters, Plastic model kits and sailing boats but has not shown any real interest. I had my first Mamod steaming up outside and she suggested putting a track around the garden, she has even offered helping with the buildings when I get round to it!

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:34 am

Oh, there you go. I wish my wife would show an interest in something I like.

tegfan railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by tegfan railway » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:35 am

Well I have managed to make some progress with phase one. I had planned to complete phase one this holiday but havent managed it due to other jobs that I had to give more priority, man flu, and diversionary tactics flying model aeroplanes. So progress so far:

I have pegged out the phase one loop. Laid foundations and bedded in some concrete blocks to form the track bed. The track has not been permanently fixed yet, I will do that once I have laid all the track bed for phase one. Hopefully May Bank Holiday weekend will bring some good weather for further progress, as I am busy over the next few weekends.

Red Rock
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Red Rock » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:47 am

Looks a sound start to me, keep it up! I should really get on with building my own garden railway and every time I see someone making a start like this it brings it to the front of my mind again. Hope the weather is on your side so you can progress during the bank holiday!! :D
Happy Days!

Scott - Charnwood Forest Garden Railway - Rothley Station

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:45 am

I can see a possibility for a bridge, If you were to put in a straight just before the upturned black pot a bridge could go almost directly across to where the brown pot is then rejoin your planned trackbed again. Looks good so far.

tegfan railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by tegfan railway » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:10 pm

UPDATE:

Since last writing progress has been slow due to time and weather (lack of and the wrong!) Anyway I have done some work today, levelling and fixing the initial track sections, I have also got one of the points installed going to phase 3(which may be part of phase 1) It seems to be quite an organic thing with me changing and coming up with ideas as I go. My biggest issue at the moment is trying to get work done with a 22 week old pup trying to help, he has seen me digging in the area and he now does the same, there are plenty of other places to dig but he chooses to dig right were the railway is going! I also have to make sure that any wet concrete etc. is covered up well to set - don't want paw prints in the track bed! Will post some new pics when I have made more progress.

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:19 pm

Just a thought, but if you dug down to below level with sensible gradients you could still have your bridge and the locos won't run away as they'll slow down coming back up the other side. only downside is possible flooding in the cutting unless you dig it out in such a way that drainage wouldn't be a problem?
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

tegfan railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by tegfan railway » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:42 pm

laurence703:74384 wrote:Just a thought, but if you dug down to below level with sensible gradients you could still have your bridge and the locos won't run away as they'll slow down coming back up the other side. only downside is possible flooding in the cutting unless you dig it out in such a way that drainage wouldn't be a problem?
That could be a possibility especially if I put drainage in - I quite like the idea of a cutting with a bridge going over. Laid about 4 yds of track today, decided to check the running with the ragleth and a mamod - just an excuse to get them up to steam! Here are some pics.

[/img]