Best Butterley Bash Yet!

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
Post Reply
User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Best Butterley Bash Yet!

Post by dougrail » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:00 am

I've been to Butterley a few times now and have had a mixed experience, mostly due to the time of year, the weather and awkward locomotives [le Mamods]. The company however has been great and yesterday combined with fine tuned engines and mostly sunny weather to provide by far the most enjoyable experience I have had yet...

BUTTERLEY GARDEN RAILWAY SUNDAY 22ND APRIL 2012 - "GET EQUIPPED"

The first major event of the day after some gentle running in and trains was the formation of a Mamod Rally...there were no less than 4 IP Janes/Janets/Dreamsteam locos present...!

Britomart, no longer quite as greedy on the meths...
Image


Tad, an original IP Jane....[didn't run in the 'Rally'] - a shame...

Image


..and two former shedmates, one of which was "Ogwen", formerly known as "DSW No.5 'Black Knight' before it was sold in pieces to the WLLR - now lovingly restored and in good order.

Image


Meanwhile, on the Main Line League...

A  'Red Devil' appeared. Lovely engine and a pleasure to see in action...

Image -

but after the one at Llechfan, there could only be one reaction from the Works Staff ;)  -and true, there was no direct interaction but something woke up....

Image

=============

Swordbreaker - come back for "Payback" on the Butterley railway after the thoroughly miserable last visit of failure and heavy rain dampening the spirits. Now fettled at the York and Poppleton, a few last minute tweaks [and a frantic search for wire for the tender coupling! :lol: ] - and raring to show the audience what it could do...

Image


An Interlude with a steamup of the Swordbreaker and finally lapping at Butterley without hitches - definitely a personal highlight...

Onward...
Image

and round...
Image


And up...
Image

..and away...

Image

Image

======================================================================================

GET EQUIPPED - THE TIME OF DECISION

As some of you may know, Greg said 'goodbye' to his green Caradoc - but gained a maroon Kerr Stuart Leader. Now we reveal all...

In short, as everyone knows, I was looking to get my first non-oscillator locomotive. I had been hunting about, evaluating the pros and cons of the different types, both of the Houses of Roundhouse and Accucraft. I had also sent out some feelers about second hand locos [at one point, a 'Bertie' bargain had been sighted - alas[?] the sale ad was out of date.] Negotiation with traders hadn't gone well - but they had been tempting.


...then a few weeks ago, Wizard Gregdalf turns around and in proper LOTR style, sets me a quest:

"Bring me a maroon Leader and we shall trade for the Caradoc, as you seem quite fond of these[/i]" boomed he forth.

In an exploit involving the canteen, Manx cats, a postal service fuelled by magic and a decision racked with doubt, I went ahead and purchased the locomotive of his desire. One of the last maroon ones available and damn I pulled it off at a good mark...;)

Let's not forget the arduous trek from the sixth layer of Hell, aka Birmingham and all the way to the Gates of the Midland Railway Centre - I almost lost the bag at one point! Nerve wracking indeed.

Moving back to Butterley, we moved to the clubhouse to finish unpacking and conclude business. One condition had been I could keep my decision  -keep the Leader or collect the Caradoc - uptil the last moment, at Butterley. So...the time had come.

The Two Halves of the Trade...

Image



Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Man, via Birmingham - one Maroon 'Leader', in brand new condition:

Image

From deepest Westwood, via B2B6[!] - one ready to run, modified 'Caradoc' in near-enough GWR/Talyllyn livery to boot...

Image

I have to admit, the Leader had grown on me in the week I'd had it. But at the same time, it wasn't "my engine" - it wouldn't have suited me in a number of ways. In the end, I made the right choice:

Cadno, I choose you.
Image

- the deal was sealed and two very happy blokes left the clubhouse to steam up Accucraft's finest.

Greg, in his wisdom and greatness, had written up a little instruction guide AND took half an hour out to tutor me in the prepping, readying, firing and driving of the Caradoc. Having only had Mamods and related types, this was one hell of a step up. It's a learning curve, as there's more to do in a way but the start up time is comparatively much quicker than some Mamod type...

..and now that I was the very proud owner of an Accucraft Caradoc, it was time to place it on my siding. Matching up very nicely with my TR stock...

Image

======================================================================================

THE MAMOD RALLY 2012

Britomart, Ogwen and Swordbreaker had all had solo runs, just warming up and running in. Now it was time to organise things for a spectacle indeed - a triple header of mamods!

Image

Image

Image

...amazingly to all, it actually worked for a few laps of the Upper Circuit.

Sadly after a few laps, Ogwen had to retire, leaving Britomart and Swordbreaker to forge on, in a repeat of November's "boot camp double header" - this time, Swordbreaker was able to haul its fare share of the train - Britomart doing very well in reverse however!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Aaaaaand some video...

Image [click to view]

After, Swordbreaker went solo, hauling a neat line of quarry trucks from Snowdonia...

Image

Image

Image

===========================================

THE INAUGURAL STEAMING OF 'MYFANWY'

Image

Meanwhile, Greg was prepping his newest acquisition and after a few tweaks in the clubhouse, steam was raised to the sound of cheering.

Image

Coupled up to appropriate WLLR stock...
Image

Image

Is it me, or does that engine suit the WLLR and its coaching stock really well? ;)
Image

======================================================================================

After Lunch, and a showery interval, the clouds began to part, marking the start of the afternoon's festivities...

THE ACCUCRAFT RALLY

Three proud owners, and three fine locomotives, all drivers in matching colours to their locomotives - Cadno, Phoenix, and the newly-christened Myfanwy. How good could this get?

Well now...

Firstly Pheonix and Myfanwy took the road to warm up.

Image

As I was putting out Swordbreaker and drying the little engine off, as well as getting to grips with firing up an Accucraft, there was a delay between Cadno and the triple header...

Image

Image


After some posturing...
Image

....the triple header was set! :D:D:D

Image

Coupling on...
Image


And away the Three Railway Engines went!

Image

Image

Image

It was at this point we discovered why a Goodall valve had been included with the 'Leader'  -as elegant and dainty as they are, they have smaller boilers than the 'Freelance' 0-4-0 types  :shock: And they ran out of gas quicker. At one point Cadno was hauling both Pheonix and Myfanwy - for half a circuit before their crews stopped the train and corrected that....

Image


And some videos of the Accucraft Triple Header, hard at work...

Image

Image

Mission Accomplished, and a great deal of fun with James and Greg! :D

Meanwhile, a second WD Baldwin was merrily making use of the lower circuit...

Image

I am only sorry that I didn't get a photo of the first  :oops: Matt's was a lovely engine, and after all the bad things I had heard, seeing his in action was an eye opener.
###########################################

Ending an eventful afternoon...

Cadno in the sun...

Image

Image

Image

Swordbreaker winding down...

Image

Image

And lastly, the Pair:

Image

Myfanwy and Cadno - one event, two very different outcomes...

Image

======================================================================================

And that, as they say, is that. It now explains where the Caradoc has gone - keeping it in 'the family' as it were ;) to a good home.

On reflection, this Sunday was likely the best garden railway day I have had in a very long time indeed. It got wet at times but otherwise, with running trains, acquiring and learning to run my first 'proper' locomotive - and especially in very good company indeed made for a great day out!

Many thanks go to James [DolwyddenLightRail] and a heap of thanks and goodwill to Greg [NarrowMinded] for making this a great day indeed - for garden railwaying that Sunday? I wouldn't have gone anywhere else 8)

Hopefully again sooner than later....!


All the best

Doug
Last edited by dougrail on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeachBottom

Post by PeachBottom » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:42 am

I love that you've named it Myfanwy!!

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:01 am

Cracking Comprehensive Coverage Containing Copious Colour Countenances, Considerably Captivating Concept Choice, Coincidentally Connecting Chronicle Category Correspondance! :D

(or - Great write-up & photo's of a cracking day! ;) )

You're right about the smaller boiler - I'd forgotten, and was so used to the Caradoc, I nearly "overcooked it"  :oops:
I love that you've named it Myfanwy!!
She's been given the name as a Class Continuation C.. (oh no, not again! :lol: ) - she's a direct descendant/replacement for my old Baldrig (which was my first "proper" loco), so I thought it most appropriate. :D

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:17 am

Here's a few pics from me from the day:

Whilst Narrow Minded and Doug were in the club house dicussing the politics, I thought I'd start the day off with Pheonix showing off it's mirror reflecting buffers.....

Image

A rather shiney and new Accy Leader appears.....

Image

Britomart had a great start to the day :lol:

Image

Ogwen and Swordbreaker also appear out of the mist!

Image

Unfortunately this is the only decent pic I managed to get of the Baldwin Sir Haydn was running!

Image

Britomart carried on trundling round in it's poor health

Image

Image

Image

Whilst Greg got the Leader up and running!

Image

Pheonix came out for another play!

Image

Image

and after a bit of fettling with the steam pipe, Myfanwy was back up and running!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Whilst Britomart came out once more to terrorise everyone! :D

Image

and coupled up to Ogwen

Image

Which lead to.....

Image
Last edited by DolwyddelanLightRail on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2473
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Cambridge & Peterborough

Post by -steves- » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:17 am

Looks like a fantastic day out I have to say, some lovely looking loco's and great to see them running. :D

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:54 am

Omg James, can we please kill that last photo? Please? :shock:

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:16 am

There you go :lol:

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:37 pm

DolwyddelanLightRail:70105 wrote:Whilst Narrow Minded and Doug were in the club house dicussing the politics, I thought I'd start the day off with Pheonix showing off its mirror reflecting buffers.....
............. and its Meccanno regulator handle.................................

Some excellent pictures from all concerned.

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:38 pm

Narrow Minded:70104 wrote:Cracking Comprehensive Coverage Containing Copious Colour Countenances, Considerably Captivating Concept Choice, Coincidentally Connecting Chronicle Category Correspondance! :D

(or - Great write-up & photo's of a cracking day! ;) )

You're right about the smaller boiler - I'd forgotten, and was so used to the Caradoc, I nearly "overcooked it" :oops:
I love that you've named it Myfanwy!!
She's been given the name as a Class Continuation C.. (oh no, not again! :lol: ) - she's a direct descendant/replacement for my old Baldrig (which was my first "proper" loco), so I thought it most appropriate. :D
Ouch, my head :lol: - can't believe we all dressed for the occasion too - I in Green, you in maroon, and James in black [Cadno, Myfanwy and Pheonix matching...!]

Shame about the smaller boiler - but use the Goodall valve, wise sir ;) I shall stick with the "one fill, one gas" method. :)
MDLR:70112 wrote:
DolwyddelanLightRail:70105 wrote:Whilst Narrow Minded and Doug were in the club house dicussing the politics, I thought I'd start the day off with Pheonix showing off its mirror reflecting buffers.....
............. and its Meccanno regulator handle.................................

Some excellent pictures from all concerned.
Thanks MDLR - see you there someday? :)

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:55 pm

Quite possibly next Sunday - I'll waft some butane in your direction!

(wink!)

User avatar
Keith S
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1668
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Canada

Post by Keith S » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:24 pm

Nice pictures guys. Am I correct in noticing the first Baldwin "Bridget" has Roundhouse cylinders and valve gear? It looks different than the one in the second picture.

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:36 pm

MDLR - Fraid we're not going to be there then :/ Sometime later I guess. :P

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:33 pm

dougrail:70135 wrote:MDLR - Fraid we're not going to be there then :/ Sometime later I guess. :P
I may do if I can either find a lift from Alfreton or if I feel up to it cycle there :lol:

DLRdan

Post by DLRdan » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:00 pm

Quite suprised no else has noticed this but 2010 Doug ?

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:24 pm

DLRdan:70348 wrote:Quite suprised no else has noticed this but 2010 Doug ?
D'oh!! :lol:

The secretary goblin responsible has now had their fingers flayed over a hot fire. :P

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests