Modifying Couplings

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Post Reply
IrishPeter

Modifying Couplings

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:26 pm

I use Accucraft chopper couplings on most of my stock, but due to the hook for buffer chain couplings on top, they are quite high profile. I need to eliminate the hook on some of the couplings to lower the profile so a SG wagon axle will clear when bein rolled on/off a transporter wagon. (Yep, the Calthrop bug has bitten!) I assume this can be achieved by either shortening the existing bolt by removing the hook portion, or by using a new bolt (or one scavenged from the 'B' end of a vehicle.

Peter in AZ

User avatar
GTB
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1719
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:46 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Modifying Couplings

Post by GTB » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:34 am

IrishPeter:66612 wrote:  I assume this can be achieved by either shortening the existing bolt by removing the hook portion, or by using a new bolt
The 'bolt' and hook are a single formed piece of rod, with a thread at the bottom. The washer on the top of the coupler box is usually only held in place by the paint in my experience, so shortening the hook would also require cleaning off the paint and soldering the washer to the top of the rod to retain everything in place.

The hook is threaded M2, like the mounting screws they supply in the bag. I just take the hooks out and replace them with an 8BA x 1/2" bolt and nut, so I can recess them in the end sill. 8BA is a bit bigger than M2, but they fit OK.

8BA hex head bolts and nuts will be as rare as rocking horse droppings where you are, but 2-56 is the US equivalent and should fit. The one I measured was between M2 and 8BA in dia............

If you can't get 2-56 x 1/2" locally, try this mob, who have brass ones in hex head, as well as brass nuts. They also list M2 x 0.4 x 12mm, but not in hex head type.

http://www.microfasteners.com/index.cfm

They also stock the #2 hex head woodscrews that I use for detailing wooden rolling stock.

Graeme

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests