MDLR Works Reorganisation

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Post Reply
MDLR

MDLR Works Reorganisation

Post by MDLR » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:32 pm

The Works (AKA the Shed) is a semi-permanent tip - mainly because my tools never get put away, because if I DO put them away, I can never find them again! I resolved to do something about it, and the result arrived today.................

Image

It's a Moore & Wright engineers' tool cabinet.............

Image

............... with green baize lined drawers.............

Image

............... and the all-important trade mark on the back.

Image

Gawd knows who owned it before - I found THIS in it (a Field Marshall Diesel tractor starting cartridge).............

Image

............... together with this delightful set of little brass signs.............

Image

........... and these dinky little spark plugs - I suspect for model aircraft.

Image

So far, it's been sanded down, the drawers have been washed out and the baize removed, the knobs have all been taken off (as has the lock) and the front planed down so it'll shut properly.

Tomorrow: stain & varnish! I don't know whether the baize will go back in - antbody got some (or some old snooker table cloth)?

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:36 pm

antbody got some (or some old snooker table cloth)?
Funny you should ask.................

I have some somewhere, not sure if I'll have enough green - will blue do?

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:45 pm

Yes - that'll do nicely!

User avatar
TonyW
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1357
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: North Wales
Contact:

Post by TonyW » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:01 pm

Very nice Brian, and even better that has got some "provenance".

The absolute best investment I have made in my workshop was for three magnetic tool strips from Lidl, at about £3 each IIRC. They have saved me loads of time that was wasted hunting for lost tools.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:51 pm

OK - an update! Having removed all the remaining knobs from the front of the drawers, I got vicious with the sander and removed all the varnish..................... (God, how I HATE the "palm" sander I had to buy because I can't get sander sheets for my older, bigger one..........

........ then I decided to give the interior of the drawers and cabinet a wash (which "released" the used-to-be green baize from the drawers and got me into trouble for using The Wrong Thing for wiping 'em dry)..............

Once all was dry, a coat of Walnut wood stain, followed by a couple of coats of satin varnish was followed by cutting out green baize, fitting the same to the drawer interiors with Spray Mount ("don't you DARE get that all over my work surface" "No, Dear.............") and refitting the knobs.

The result??

Image

I have a problem - I need 4 more of these..............

Image

............. which as you can see are very small. In the interim, I'll adopt the "Standard Workshop Practice" of putting nuts and bolts through the holes................

LMS-Jools

Post by LMS-Jools » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:53 pm

Luvvly :D

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:09 pm

It's given me a LOT more room in the workshop, AND I'm putting my tools away properly, because I can get at them all!

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:02 pm

....... and finqlly.....................

Steve Thompson of Hog Hill Works came up with the goods - some old terminal knurled nuts "(Hey mister...... have you ever had YOUR nuts knurled?") to replace the missing drawer knobs. They are in keeping, if not a match.

So, here we are, job done!

Image

garratt100

Post by garratt100 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:26 pm

What a superb job Brian!

I think i may have a few jobs here in the workshop that you might be handy with...

Chris Moody
Loco-Boxes...

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:19 am

Talk to me nicely in April........................

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 62 guests