Paint for Mamods
- dougrail
- Driver

- Posts: 1535
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
- Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia
Paint for Mamods
Hi,
I've been using Plastikote Super paint in my operations sofar. However sometimes I suspect that the paint is gradually softening in the heat [external fired loco...] and therefore I believe I'll be needing to do two repaint jobs in the new year.
Regarding lining, the Trimline tape is starting to show its vinyl weakness, moving or shrinking again from the heat. Therefore I've decided to also invest in a lining pen [£45 for a full kit...!] but again, what paint is best for lining out, using said lining pen given the heat situation?
Lastly, if someone were to repaint and then paint-line their Mamod/Jane/external fired engine, would a lacquer/varnish be required ontop and if so, what brand/type would be best? Acrylic / Halford's car acrylic lacquer has been quite the disappointment as it visibly softens, moves and allows for fingerprints when the loco is still warm. :/
Thanking you for the help
I've been using Plastikote Super paint in my operations sofar. However sometimes I suspect that the paint is gradually softening in the heat [external fired loco...] and therefore I believe I'll be needing to do two repaint jobs in the new year.
Regarding lining, the Trimline tape is starting to show its vinyl weakness, moving or shrinking again from the heat. Therefore I've decided to also invest in a lining pen [£45 for a full kit...!] but again, what paint is best for lining out, using said lining pen given the heat situation?
Lastly, if someone were to repaint and then paint-line their Mamod/Jane/external fired engine, would a lacquer/varnish be required ontop and if so, what brand/type would be best? Acrylic / Halford's car acrylic lacquer has been quite the disappointment as it visibly softens, moves and allows for fingerprints when the loco is still warm. :/
Thanking you for the help
-
DLRdan
I have had quite some experience with paint, I should say this is only what I've found. Plasticote is not nice stuff, its very thin, takes an age to go solid and isn't very good with prolonged heat. HYCOTE is a car paint so is avaliable in almost every colour. I have had good results with the satin black, it is very easy to get a good finish with. I've used it on a couple of smokeboxes, Pete's included, and its prooved quite heat proof. Their colours however are ones to avoid as they do not like the heat one bit and are quite prone to meths damage. I am currently using Carplan paint which is very nice stuff. Goes on reasonably well, the finish is good, hardens off quickly and gives a very tough finish without baking. The only thing you need to be carfull of is the smell, some don't smell at all while others will give you headache instantly.
- dougrail
- Driver

- Posts: 1535
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
- Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia
http://www.toolgurus.co.uk/black-car-gl ... ray-paint/ < this?? It's also acrylic-based paint though...so wouldn't it have the same properties and problems?
-
Vapouriser
Paint for mamods.
Not being able to use anything that smells nasty I m going to try sprayfoaming my Lady Ann inside the tanks!when I ve found the courage ,I ll put the results on the forum.
-
DLRdan
-
Sir haydn
One of the most important things when painting is the primer. This has to adhere well to the base metal and have a nice smooth finish, without this your topcoat will peel and chip easily and if badly applied will make your top coat look like it was sand blasted on.
The other thing to look out for is paint formulas. There are 3 main paint types you can buy in spray can form, Acrylics, cellulose and enamel. The rule normally is stick to the sam type and you will be ok, but be warned different manufactorers are now using different mixes and 2 enamels will react with each other! Plastcote is certainly a brand to steer clear of. I have heard of some of their products not drying!
I would recomend if you want to spray paint using cans go to precision paints, buy a can of single pack etching primer and a can of top coat. Get the surface clean and warm and warm the can. Shake the can for a good 5 mins and you will get a top finish!
The other thing to look out for is paint formulas. There are 3 main paint types you can buy in spray can form, Acrylics, cellulose and enamel. The rule normally is stick to the sam type and you will be ok, but be warned different manufactorers are now using different mixes and 2 enamels will react with each other! Plastcote is certainly a brand to steer clear of. I have heard of some of their products not drying!
I would recomend if you want to spray paint using cans go to precision paints, buy a can of single pack etching primer and a can of top coat. Get the surface clean and warm and warm the can. Shake the can for a good 5 mins and you will get a top finish!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests
