Swift Sixteen Snowplough

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
pauly
Driver
Driver

Swift Sixteen Snowplough

Post by pauly » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:19 pm

Im going to buy a Swift sixteen resin snowplough soon, could anyone recomment a suitable piece of stock to mount it on or if it could even be temporary mounted on a steam loco.
A steam propelled life-style.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:20 pm

Looking at his web site, the plough looks as if it "hangs" on the centre coupling and he's put it on what looks like an IP VoR passenger brake van, so I would suggest that the world is your mollusc of choice! My own view is that it would look odd behind an open wagon - a van would be better.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

mandatrix
Cleaner
Cleaner

Swift Sixteen Snowplough

Post by mandatrix » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:13 pm

Whilst this item is yet to be tested in anger with the "right kind of snow"
it is a delightfully made cast block of resin which I have attached to an old Playmobil Covered van
see
http://michaelayland.wordpress.com/2011 ... t-it-snow/

but it needs a massive counterweight. My Snowplough weighs 2.75Kg so may need double heading.

ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:54 pm

Howdo
Quick couple of piccies of mine. Its on a chopped up mamod wagon chassis with the plough ground out with a dremmel cutter to accept the wheels and axle boxes.
Quick hint to get both wheels squre. Build it with the full chassis and find the distance from the tip of the plough to the bench (mines 3mm). Make some packes that will hold the plough 3mm of the deck. Chop out the wheel sets from the chassis. Fill the recess's with epoxy (not rapid) and puch in the new axleboxes and wheels. Quickly turn the plough right side up and fit the packers between plough and flat surface. The drying wheels should slide down onto the workbench and when they dry are perfectly square and true. Oh yeah 5 1/2 Lbs of steel block in the rear body also helps with running in snow. :D

I did try with the standard chassis but found the overhang to be horrendus so thats why I went for the long wheelbase.
http://www.freewebs.com/pinetreelightrailway/index.

Cecil your engines on Fire!

Its a Mamod it does that.