A Norwegian Garden Railway

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
KjellAn
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by KjellAn » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:32 pm

Hello

Here is my first video of my Garden Railway. Enjoy it.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Y1mJC07qM

Until now it has been mostly construction and tracklaying. But this week my first locomotive arrived the Railway - a Roundhouse Billy.

It's real fun to operate my own steam-engine. I actually love it. :lol:
Kjell Anderdal :)

Livesteam 16mm on my line - the Pine Hill Railway (PHRy)

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:49 am

That's great! How funny- I was just looking at facts about Norway on the computer and wondering if live steam garden railways were popular there.

The garden setting looks pleasant. What part of Norway is it?

KjellAn
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by KjellAn » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:54 pm

Garden Railways has become more and more popular in Norway the last years.

Actually there are several kinds of Garden Railways in Norway - mostly those who run the LGB-trains of German and Swiss prototypes, then some who runs US-prototypes both LGB and ther brands, and untill now a few who run these lovely trains from the islands from the other side of the North-See. :D About 250 Roundhouse engines are sold in Norway in the 10 last years.

In spite of the hard winter-conditions in Norway there are a increasing number of enthusiasts who builds their Garden Railway and operate it also thrue the winter-season. With Livesteam there are no problems according to bad current-pick-up when running the trains on a icy rail.

I have almost completed the construction of my Garden Railway these days. As you can see on the video, the train has to make a sudden stop at the end of the line. After that point there will come a trestle, and I hope to finish this part of the line in a few weeks.

I live in a city called Sarpsborg. It is in the south-east corner of Norway - about 90 kilometres south of Oslo.

There will be more videos and pictures from my Garden Railway in a few weeks. Hope You all have enjoyed it. :D

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Re: A Norwegian Garden Railway

Post by MDLR » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:00 pm

KjellAn:59591 wrote:With Live steam there are no problems according to bad current-pick-up when running the trains on a icy rail.

There will be more videos and pictures from my Garden Railway in a few weeks. Hope You all have enjoyed it.  
Yes we have - how VERY sensible of you to run live steam - getting away from track power is one of the reasons some of us have gone into the garden. Do you have a decent snow plough, or do you rely on The Big Hand In The Sky to clear your track?
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:32 pm

Lookin Good ;)

KjellAn
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by KjellAn » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:57 pm

Do you have a decent snow plough, or do you rely on The Big Hand In The Sky to clear your track?
Here in the south-east part of Norway the snow hopefully will come as rain most part of the winter, but last winter we had both snow and below freezing point for several month.

To keep the line open for operation during winter-season I would like to try a rotary snowplow - like this on ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EwkKwwVPtQ