Caledonia

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:26 pm

The model does look better in blue than the real Cale did , I wonder if the same would be true for Hutchinson! :twisted: There's only one way to find out!

New Haven Neil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by New Haven Neil » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:47 pm

It has caused some 'discussion' to say the least - it seems to be a marmite job. Most of the locals here hate the blue, not as much as they hated Hutchy in blue with 'that cab' though!

I love it (not Manx born!) and many others have e mailed to say the same - not sure my old mum (Manx as the hills!) would agree with me though!! :?:

I agree with the comment above totally, in that the model looks better blue than she did in real life. ;) Odd, not sure why that should be???
Living on an island paradise, the Isle of Man - narrow gauge trains and motorbike racing!

MTA

Post by MTA » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:18 pm

williamfj:52616 wrote:The model does look better in blue than the real Cale did , I wonder if the same would be true for Hutchinson!  :twisted:  There's only one way to find out!
FIIIGGGHHHH.... Oh no, wait, you didn't say which is better :lol:

My first visit to the IoM was just before they ripped the track up to lay the sewer pipe underneath, and when Cale was just returned to service in blue.

I like both Cale and Hutchinson in blue, but then I do like something that's different.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:28 pm

I really liked it when all the IOM locos were in different liveries (including Hutchinson in blue!), the one time I visited I was disappointed how everything looked the same, indeed I was hoping Caledonia would be out for a bit of colour variety! Needless to say it wasn't (it was Maitland and Hutchinson...)
Much prefer the blue version I must say!
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:56 am

I think the red version is the wrong shade - she looks Indian red, although I realise that cameras don't always capture colours accurately. Proper, dark red MNR livery, fully-lined and lettered, is the best livery for her IMHO. That's not to say I dislike the blue, though...

...and Ailsa green suited her well too - but then, everything looks good in apple green! :P

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:55 am

MuzTrem:52642 wrote:I think the red version is the wrong shade - she looks Indian red,
There is no 'wrong shade' of IMR indian red. Paint was mixed as required in Douglas works and matched by eye to a sample sheet on the wall, so the shade you got on any given day would depend on the weather- bright or cloudy. On my first visit in 1993, I found No4 Loch in a brilliant deep LMS crimson, while 11 Maitland was in a lurid orange the colour of baked beans. Both of these machines were listed as being "indian red".
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)

New Haven Neil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by New Haven Neil » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:47 am

MuzTrem:52642 wrote:I think the red version is the wrong shade - she looks Indian red, although I realise that cameras don't always capture colours accurately. Proper, dark red MNR livery, fully-lined and lettered, is the best livery for her IMHO. That's not to say I dislike the blue, though...

...and Ailsa green suited her well too - but then, everything looks good in apple green! :P
There is a version in MNR maroon too, but none of my pals have one yet! The indian red one is spot on in reality, to my eyes. However, she was so dirty at that time it was hard to tell what shade it was! She was only green for about 6 months, I am told. If they had done a green one, I would have had that - I'm a Geordie by birth, Manx & Scots parents!
Living on an island paradise, the Isle of Man - narrow gauge trains and motorbike racing!

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:41 pm

TommyDodd:52645 wrote:
MuzTrem:52642 wrote:I think the red version is the wrong shade - she looks Indian red,
There is no 'wrong shade' of IMR indian red. Paint was mixed as required in Douglas works  and matched by eye to a sample sheet on the wall, so the shade you got on any given day would depend on the weather- bright or cloudy. On my first visit in 1993, I found No4 Loch in a brilliant deep LMS crimson, while 11 Maitland was in a lurid orange the colour of baked beans. Both of these machines were listed as being "indian red".
Nevertheless, since her 1990s restoration - I almost said "in preservation", but realised that such a term is inaccurate in the case of the IMR! - No. 15 has carried a rather darker shade of red than any of the Beyer, Peacocks, with the possible exception of Loch. Photos show she was a brighter red during the Ailsa era (after her brief spell in green) but I think this is not considered to be correct for the Manx Northern.

Have just had a look at TrackShack and seen the full MNR version - stunning!
http://www.gardenrailwaysfromtrack-shac ... ve992.html

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:53 pm

The unlined red is as she was in the 60's, and (cleanliness ignored) looks pretty good to me.

The model represents her in the time of her life when she was essentially a steam powered snowplough- I'm hoping someone will make a representation of said plough!
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

New Haven Neil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by New Haven Neil » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:03 pm

Totally correct, Matt.

The indian red colour is spot on, it was matched to a sample from the railway. The MNR version is too fiddly looking for me, but is correct for the era.

She was repainted in an awful red after her brief spell spring green, it was a foul colour, sort of 'James the Red Engine' red, nothing like the correct MNR colour.....thankfully no-one seems to want a model in that colour!

The blue is just too contravertial to mention in polite company on the island, but apprently the model is selling strongly, I just love mine (the indian red one isn't mine!) it is growing more on me every day too!

I would love to see what she looks like black - I like black engines!

NHN

RSB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RSB » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:51 pm

I must admit that whilst admiring the locos on this thread, the blue lined livery looks much more appealing to me then any other...

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Must say its a lovely looking loco and yes, blue is best!!!

I do hope they bring out the southwold sharpies now they are doing more 3ft stuff!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

New Haven Neil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by New Haven Neil » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:14 am

An interesting point Mr Bond - there of course were two Sharpies on the island, the MNR had 2 ('Northern' & 'Ramsey') prior to the Beyer 'Thornhill' and Cale herself. I think they were a touch bigger than the Southwold locos, but similar in appearance.

Food for thought.... :?:

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:01 pm

New Haven Neil:52892 wrote:An interesting point Mr Bond - there of course were two Sharpies on the island, the MNR had 2
Food for thought.... :?:
Not only that, but there were three slightly bigger sisters further 'over the water' in Ireland. The County Donegal's first narrow gauge locos were a trio of Sharp-Stewart 2-4-0Ts, named ALICE, LYDIA and BLANCHE. You may recognise the names since they were recycled for the CDRs last steamers, the 5A superheated 2-6-4Ts.

http://www.donegalrailway.com/class-1/
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)

New Haven Neil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by New Haven Neil » Mon May 02, 2011 10:27 am

RSB:52876 wrote:I must admit that whilst admiring the locos on this thread, the blue lined livery looks much more appealing to me then any other...
I agree.... :P funnily enough! :lol:

grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Post by grumpfuttock » Wed May 18, 2011 1:51 am

Congratulations Neil !

We had a Caledonia turn up here on the 2nd of May, the Manx Northern version pictured here. Sorry the photo isn't great, but the light in the kitchen wasn't good.  Unfortunately the owner whisked it away after the two of us sitting and gazing at it for 2 hours after it was unpacked !
After 1½ hours of gazing at it and a few photos of the full sized version, the extremely happy owner suddenly exclaimed "I've found something missing !!" I panicked, thinking that he had found something vital missing (like the boiler for example :lol:) . He then said " look at the tool box, see that little ring on the side...THE PADLOCK IS MISSING !" :lol:

John.

"I am not an armchair modeller, I have a garden railway, so I am a deckchair modeller."

http://www.tumblydowncottage.dk

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Thu May 19, 2011 8:23 pm

Maroon one is certainly my favourite, it's stunning.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Fri May 20, 2011 1:38 am

I spotted the missing lock right away too. It's a glaring omission on an otherwise beautiful engine. :lol:

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Fri May 20, 2011 1:53 am

Keith S:53742 wrote:I spotted the missing lock right away too. It's a glaring omission on an otherwise beautiful engine. :lol:
LOL, of course you did!
:D
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.