PRESENTING rubber band power

A place for discussing diverse methods of powering locomotives, such as Internal Combustion, Wind, etc...
Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

PRESENTING rubber band power

Post by Crackingjob » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:31 pm

I finally got my hands on the Diplock trophy (mine all mine hahahahahahah...o err sorry)

PACK and STACK was a concept which I will post elsewhere later, but I also tried out rubberband..inspired by the fact I had never seen a 16mm/g scale loco with this power (though sure someone will have tried in the past)

My small band gets me 3 feet and I will need a longer band (similar to model aircraft) and have had some advice re this...I do however need a method of controlling to speed output. Winding up would have to be by hand drill with one end attched to the drive, the other pegged to stop unravelling.

So folks come on lets develop it.

Crackingjob

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:49 pm

For a governor, why not try a musical-box-style "vane" governor? Geared off the main shft, with a pair of vanes that restrict the speed 'coz they cant spin round fast..................
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:20 pm

Thanks for the advice I remembered you suggesting it and have already sketched the drive unit out, and also for the emergency power idea (attach string and pull....we should all have some for our locos)
Crackingjob

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:30 pm

When I spotted those at Stoneliegh I thought of you! :lol:

Didnt know youd built them, there great!
A steam propelled life-style.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:14 pm

Wow those are awesome can't wait to see them in action!

steam4ian
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by steam4ian » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:08 pm

MDLR:51644 wrote:For a governor, why not try a musical-box-style "vane" governor? Geared off the main shft, with a pair of vanes that restrict the speed 'coz they cant spin round fast..................
Brian's idea of vanes has merit but I think it relies on the vanes being driven a high speed and via a course worm gear system to actually work. Worms are hard to drive backwards whilst the torque required to drive the vanes increases as a square of the speed.

Very old watches and clocks had the same problem and used an conical grooved drum called a "fusee" to even out the torque from the spring.

My son was at one time in his youth involved with indoor flying with rubber powered "Hangar Rats". The same thing could happen for rubber powered rail vehicles. More recently I have seen school tech studies projects based on air and rubber powered cars.

Loads of opportunities.  

Regards
Ian
Ian