I.P. coaches

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Keith S
Driver
Driver

I.P. coaches

Post by Keith S » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:02 pm

I've become rather enamoured of a VoR "summer coach" someone is building here. I looked at them on IP's website and they look great there too. I think one of those might look nice behind my Roundhouse "Billy". I've also noticed that they have some coaches that are specifically meant to look well behind Roundhouse locos, has anyone seen these? Presumably they are slightly taller or wider than the normal ones. If I bought one of these in the future, would it look funny if it was coupled to the summer coach, or are they roughly compatible?

How do the IP coaches rate in general? They certainly look nice.

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:09 pm

Look at any british narrow gauge and you will find roof lines and heights differ in a train of coaches.

Personally I think the IP roundhouse range are too tall. It is not uncommon for the loco to be taller than the coaches and vise versa

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:15 pm

All IP kits are awesome :D
But the roundhouse range aint very good, there still routed!
Thanks
Jack

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:15 pm

Oversized not to scale try looking for 16mm scale items today not much about either near or there. All manufactures seem to say is near to! It might as well be the 17mm narrow gauge modellers who cares as long as it looks good. Tell me if an IP bug box, an andel bug box a triassic bug box are all the same dimensions, probably not therefore stick to one manufacturer and Ip is probably a good start but Brandbright are the scale kings for me as I have scale 16 locos.

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:16 pm

Roundhouse started this being out of scale!

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:17 pm

Roundhouse locos are generally 10'8" tall and 8'4" wide in 15mm scale. The vertical dimension isn't so bad, but the width is about 1'6" wider than most Irish three foot gauge lines. Strange as it may seem, my Accucraft Ruby is in gauge being roughly 10' tall and 7' wide in 15mm. My Clogher Valley coach shares the same loading gauge, but my TDLR stock is a little narrower.

Peter in AZ

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:53 pm

OK thanks guys, but for a guy who can't be bothered with "scale", how do the coaches look otherwise? I'm just looking for something to chain to the backside of the Billy that won't look ridiculous.

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:24 pm

Simply IP coaches are wider and taller and are designed and built to suit Roundhouse locos. So you wont go far wrong with IP. They will be well suited. I build my own and so Im biased to scale and have made some views on that point Check out e bay for some good bargains when it comes to rolling stock you will find you wont have the need to build then, but if building is your forte have a go at it yourself its amazing what you can produce from a sheet of 4mm ply.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:58 pm

90733:49230 wrote:All IP kits are awesome :D
But the roundhouse range aint very good, there still routed!
I had an IP Roundhouse 2 compartment coach kit bought for me for Christmas just gone and over the laser cut freelance guards van kit I just built from them this coach kit is no where near as good.

I think now I would of preferred a freelance laser cut kit (I think it's cheaper as well, they seem to have pulled the 2 compartment coach kit from their website so can't check the price).

Also, you can't fit chopper coupling using the buffer beams provided as they don't match the same height as Accucraft rolling stock, for example. I only found this out after gluing it all in place :(

I like IP kits so not damning them, just think these coach kits are dated now and laser cutting is the way forward. They also dwarf the rest of my rolling stock so look a bit out of place.

Cheers,

Tom

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:13 am

Their VoR matchwood stuff is laser cut, so should be pretty good. To be honest, I think the summer coach looks just like something I would like to see on a little scenic railway. I think I'll order one. If it's a bit oversize so much the better, it's going on 45mm track behind a Roundhouse engine.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:24 am

Well, I've decided I'm going to just order a couple of 4-plank open wagons. I'm pretty good at building things out of wood; I made this "traction wagon" for my old traction engine.

Sorry for posting a non rail picture. But I figure it wouldn't be to much trouble to make a similar wagon with railway wheels.

Maybe I'll make my own after practicing on an IP open wagon.

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:35 am

I think you could make some great wagons mate, that trailer on a set of rail wheels and a grey or marroon paint job would look smashing behind your billy.

I love IP coaches (scale is just another rule which ruins the fun, as long as they look right to you their perfect ;) ) Iv got 1 of the VOR coaches and its great but personnally I think something from the Freelance coach range would look better behind your Billy
http://www.ipengineering.co.uk/page96.html

but if you want a VOR coach go for it mate, I doubt youll regret either decision 8)
A steam propelled life-style.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:05 am

Hi Pauly, I really like the freelance one with the balcony on it. I looked at the dimensions for the VoR coaches and they are rather low for the Billy, I've seen some youtube vids of Billys hauling them and they look smallish. I just really like the summer coach because it looks like something I would like to go for a ride in. I'll keep thinking about it, I don't have a lot of room for lots of rolling stock at the moment anyway.

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:27 pm

I've become rather enamoured of a VoR "summer coach" someone is building here.
And who could that be? :roll: :D :lol: :D

Its a smashing little, sorry LARGE :D kit. I didnt have any problems with it apart from mine warped a little but that was my fault for not doing it properly. I think adding the detail to the seats, and adding the vac pipes also helped to give it that little bit more detail. Go for what you want but im sure you'll end up buying one of these.

Next step for me is to get 2 of the smaller enclosed coaches to go either side. :D
Cheers Tom

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:31 pm

If yours is the green one with gold window frames, and matching guard's van then that's the one. It looks pretty good.

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:13 pm

If yours is the green one with gold window frames, and matching guard's van then that's the one. It looks pretty good
It sure is mine :D, Thanks Keith :D

Cheers Tom

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:12 pm

I've ordered some open wagons from IP's "classic range". I think this makes a good first wagon, then if I enjoy building them I will order a coach. Everybody has a few open wagons, and these were a good price. Now I have something to build while I decide what kind of coach will look nice with a "Billy".