What would you choose?

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
taliesin001
Driver
Driver

What would you choose?

Post by taliesin001 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:07 pm

If you could build replicas of a long since gone narrow gauge loco and piece of rolling stock what would you choose? I think NWNGR Beddgelert would be an impressive sight! The leek and manifold coaches would be pretty nice too!

I think it's good how 20 years ago if somebody had asked that question a L&B loco would probably have been top of most peoples list. I doubt too at that time someone could have predicted a full rake of W&L pickerings. Just shows what can be done!

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:11 pm

I'd want to see a southwold sharpie going again, which is lucky as they are half way through building one!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:21 pm

the minning wardle 'Canopus' and the saloon carriage off of the cornish pentewan railway would be nice

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:02 am

there arnt many main locos that interest me.
mainly because i am into little industrial locos more.
Bagnall wing tank excelsior would be nice to see.
Many many little industrial loco.

Beddgelert would be nice to see.

I supose Billy doesnt agree with this topic, would much rather restore somthing..... ;)

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:46 am

Sir haydn:44806 wrote:the minning wardle 'Canopus' and the saloon carriage off of the cornish pentewan railway would be nice
Exactly what I was going to say :D I lived very near where the Pentewan was, never knew there was a railway there until I started on this hobby... amazing! Maybe even 'Trewithen', the 0-6-0 tender loco, similarish to 'Canopus' lacking the saddle tank.

'Canopus'

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:49 am

I ain't really sure what i would like to see restored that much really, as like andy, I prefer smaller locos, mainly hunslet etc, but if Beddgelert is the 0-6-0 Hunslet loco that would be interesting to see!

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:07 am

Mountaineer or Little Giant in original form or James Spooner in its final guise.

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:09 am

Beddgelert is the 0-6-4 loco from the WHR.

How about Jurrasic and Triassic, both pecketts in need of restoration

MTA

Post by MTA » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:59 pm

Sir haydn:44824 wrote:Beddgelert is the 0-6-4 loco from the WHR.

How about Jurrasic and Triassic, both pecketts in need of restoration
You read my mind, Matt.

As Lewis nodded towards, I'd have said an L&B Manning Wardle. But I can't say that now!

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:32 pm

Well, there are any number of engines I could suggest, so I'll limit myself to a couple that haven't been mentioned already: Moel Tryfan and Rheidol. Although as Andy notes, there are any number of wonderful industrial designs that would all be worthy subjects for replicas. But is there any one design that is sufficiently well-known that it would attract enough support for a replica, that isn't already represented in preservation?
Also, when it comes to industrials, there are still plenty rusting away (or even still working - just!) in far-flung corners of the world. It might be good to repatriate more of those, as Statfold have been doing.

And yes, I quite agree - restore the geological Pecketts!

MoelygestLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by MoelygestLR » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:12 pm

the railway at pentewan has always entriged me! I have holidayed on the large campsite next to the small village many of times and always wondered what the railway had been like. there are still (or was last time i went) some of the tracks buried in the sand on the old quayside and an old weighbridge near a car park in the villiage there was even an old small engine shed that i swore had an old small diesel loco in (probably just me seeing what i wanted to rather than what was actually there!). also the trackbed is now a cycle track and myself and my dad cycled along it once. it would make a great restoration project.

Must go back and visit it one day.
Thanks,

Paul Wood
MGLR

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:23 pm

Another loco i would love to see, is a peckett, i dont know the class, if it had one..
turn to page 66 in the industrial narrow gauge album. its called czecho

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:35 pm

MoelygestLR:44843 wrote:the railway at pentewan has always entriged me! I have holidayed on the large campsite next to the small village many of times and always wondered what the railway had been like. there are still (or was last time i went) some of the tracks buried in the sand on the old quayside and an old weighbridge near a car park in the villiage there was even an old small engine shed that i swore had an old small diesel loco in (probably just me seeing what i wanted to rather than what was actually there!). also the trackbed is now a cycle track and myself and my dad cycled along it once. it would make a great restoration project.
A better picture of Canopus taken when it was in MoD service was posted on the 16mm egroup a couple of weeks ago.

I first went to Pentewan in 1972. Back then the harbour was still surrounded by the decaying remains of the hoists used to put china clay in the visiting ships. I've been back a few times since.

I remember the diesel in the shed too, but it wasn't there when I last visited in 2008. The remaining tracks on the harbour are nothing to do with the Pentewan Railway but were a later operation used by a sand company, IIRC. This is what it looked like in 2008:
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

MoelygestLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by MoelygestLR » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:00 pm

yup, thats the one!
brings back all those memories.
Would make a lovely little line if it could be restored!
Thanks,

Paul Wood
MGLR

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:13 pm

Beddgelert for the win

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:34 am

andysleigh:44844 wrote:Another loco i would love to see, is a peckett, i dont know the class, if it had one..
turn to page 66 in the industrial narrow gauge album. its called czecho
Two similar machines, both 042ST, were used on the Furzebrook tramway in Purbeck, Dorset. Sextus was scrapped when the system shut down but Septimus came within a hair's breadth of survival, being bought in 1955 for the proposed North Somerset Light Railway [I don't know much about it but I believe it was a scheme to lay narrow gauge track on part of the former Weston Clevedon and Portishead] and only sold for scrap in 1962 when the scheme failed.

http://www.pmmmg.org/Pikes.htm

Probably the closest thing existing today would be the 3' gauge 060ST "Scaldwell", late of the Scaldwell ironstone system in Northants.

http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/60/Ironstone.htm (scroll about halfway down)

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:18 am

Anything from the Giant's Causeway Tramway. (Yes, there are a few items of rolling stock still around, but I'd love to see it run.) Modern H&S probably indicates that it would need to be in the later, overhead powered form rather than the third rail, fun though that would be.

My mum just remembers seeing and sitting on the carriages, after closure, as a little girl but was just too late to travel on it.

Would also love to see one of the 2-4-2T compounds from the NCC 3' gauge lines.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:46 pm

TonyW:44846 wrote:A better picture of Canopus taken when it was in MoD service was posted on the 16mm egroup a couple of weeks ago.
This one? The Pentewan had a few unusual steam locos, 2x 0-6-0 tender locos with really thin, long boilers named 'Trewithen' and 'Pentewan', an 2-6-2ST from the Yorkshire Engine Co., named 'Pioneer', and of course, 'Canopus'. I'll have to scan in the photos of these locos from my Cornwall Narrow Gauge book, very interesting things.

The loco in the shed was a Simplex I think, run by the Pentewan Dock and Concrete Co., on 2' 6", same as the original Pentewan Railway. They also had 3 Rustons, one is at the China Clay Museum in St. Austell.

And Paul, that was Pentewan Sands camp site then - very nice, I've even stayed there myself before we moved down!

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:01 am

mhlr:44948 wrote:This one?
Yes! Thank you.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks