Winter

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Matt
Driver
Driver

Winter

Post by Matt » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:07 am

Is it me, or are winters getting colder, and not warmer as the scientists have been telling us for the past decade or so?

Looking outside my window, there's a good 2 inches of snow on the ground, with more snow coming in, and the Met office is telling me I should be enjoying glourious sunshine right now.
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:25 am

Global Warming changed to "Climate Change" about 2 or so years ago, cause they finally realised that the world isn't going to warm up, but in places cool down significantly. Britain as a whole is going to cool down to a mini ice age eventually as the gulf stream is going to shut down (maybe by the time the teenage generation is in their 70-80's people now recon, whether it's true or not is a different matter!) so we are definatly going to get colder. Before that happens though we are going to get cooler wetter summers and milder wetter winters which will lead to very dry hot summers and very warm wet winters, so there will be a lot of extremes that will happen e.g. droughts in summer to flooding in winter etc. Winters will eventually get warmer but at the moment the jet stream has been all over the place, last winter it was over Moscow when it should have been above us, bringing bl00dy freezing cold air from the arctic, where moscow revieced very warm air from the equator, which meant it actually had a heatwave! and the reason for the cold winter this year is that we are still getting cold air from the arctic but it is meeting warmer air above us, which means it's condensing and turning to snow over the higher grounds and now the lower grounds and it's meant to stay with us for a fair bit of this winter!

I'll get my coat :oops:

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:30 am

Agreed.

All I wish is that the BBC either a), get the weather forcast right, and stop telling us we're going have a mild winter when in fact we're buired under several feet of snow, or b), stop doing forcasts altogether, and go back to doing things they're good at, like Sherlock or Dr Who.
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:33 am

well tomorrow is our first day of summer dec 1st and the month of nov hasnt hit 30C yet so is a record month for low temperatures.

global warming NOT LIKELY :roll:

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:58 am

Matt:44563 wrote:Agreed.

All I wish is that the BBC either a), get the weather forcast right, and stop telling us we're going have a mild winter when in fact we're buired under several feet of snow, or b), stop doing forcasts altogether, and go back to doing things they're good at, like Sherlock or Dr Who.
I'm hoping that that's agreeing with me getting my coat and going outside more! :lol: :roll: And thats just AS level Geography! :?

But as i mentioned above there are also other factors that i would need graphs and pictures to explain which would give a slightly clearer explaination of it all! But from the sound of things it looks like the whole world is cooler this winter/summer (whichever season your in!) due to the sunspot activity (as there aren't that many at the moment, meaning cooler winters/summers etc when more sunspots mean warmer summer/winters etc)

again, i'll get my coat! :roll: :lol:

MoelygestLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by MoelygestLR » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:46 pm

Global warming is a load of hot air! (pun intended :lol: )

absolute B****cks!

so is climate change. at the end of the day they are predicting the future and no one can do that as hard as they may try.

i dont believe a second of it, deal with what you have infront of you and take each day as it comes.
Thanks,

Paul Wood
MGLR

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:22 pm

MoelygestLR:44585 wrote:i dont believe a second of it, deal with what you have infront of you and take each day as it comes.
Bad advice! You have to plan ahead in life, otherwise you end up doing everything in a last-minute panic, or find that somebody else has beaten you to whatever it was you wanted.

Now I'm the first to admit, global warming is only a theory, but the fact that more and more evidence has been found to point to it over the years makes the case quite convincing, IMHO. Better safe than sorry, at the end of the day. If the ice-caps melt large parts of Britain will be flooded...is that really what you want?

You live in Wales yes? You might think it won't affect you if East Anglia ends up underwater. But the displaced population of East Anglia is going to have to go somewhere, and population density is already extremely high. Oh well...looks like we're just going to have build houses in the Snowdonia National Park, then, doesn't it?

Make no mistake. This will affect you. And this is why we should have taken action thirty years ago. But we didn't, thanks largely to Ronald Reagan. So the next best thing is to minimise the damage by taking action now.

It really should be possible to reduce greenhouse emissions to sustainable levels. We could make a very good start if only the governments of the world could agree on renewable energy. After all, we wouldn't need to cut electricity consumption if it was all generated cleanly, would we? I think vested interests in fossil fuels are probably partly to blame. I realise there are still technological barriers to be overcome, but they will be. In the meantime, personally I think nuclear would be an acceptable stop-gap.

Get as much in the world as possible powered by electricity, and generate that electricity cleanly. It's not difficult. Then we might be some way towards a solution.

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:37 pm

i shall just stock up on plenty of coal, and buy myself a 4" scale traction engine, and some equiptment, so i can power stuff.
:D

the world changes all the time, Britains been in mini iceages etc before, blah blah

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:53 pm

My main concern is the lack of oil which I think people should be consentrating on rather than climate change- our lives depend on oil for medicine, food, clothing, warmth and obviously energy. Without it the world can onlly support a maximum of 1million people. Scary?

Also, I don't want the DVLR to have to move to wales....
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:59 pm

There is actually much more oil on the planet than most people think...

...trouble is, how to get to it! So I reckon the way to solve this, is to build a bloody HUGE great syringe! :D

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:01 pm

mhlr:44605 wrote:There is actually much more oil on the planet than most people think...

...trouble is, how to get to it! So I reckon the way to solve this, is to build a bloody HUGE great syringe!  :D
problem is its all them landys guzzling it all up ;)

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:03 pm

andysleigh:44606 wrote:problem is its all them landys guzzling it all up  ;)
Knowing you, you've probably used more steam oil than I have diesel! :lol:

And anyway, we need the Landies to keep the roads moving... lol

MoelygestLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by MoelygestLR » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:31 pm

Some of the points you raise are reasonable, i suppose you should plan ahead slightly (but anyone who knows me - bruno - will know i usually leave everything to the last minute, its usually how i work best!).

yes i admit it points towards it but what im saying is we dont know what is going to happen. also the ice caps are freezing up at the same rate that they were melting at one point so it all equals itself out. if they were melting that bad how come we havent had widespread flooding on high tides around the country?

I dont live in wales i live in st helens in merseyside, I have a caravan in wales. however good luck getting the SNP to grant permission for all these houses!

Im not sure if it will. not directly anyway. I agree that there is a problem with the energy crisis, we need to find alternative ways to generate energy, not just electricity although it is the main one. the problem with renewable energy is the technology just isnt advanced enough yet and it doesnt produce enough energy.

Finding something that we can run our cars on that is economical and easily available will be a start.

And i agree about Nuclear, okay chernobyl and all that but things have moved on since then.

As andy says the world changes all the time, what makes this time so different from any of the others?
Thanks,

Paul Wood
MGLR

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:45 pm

I find it amusing that "experts" can tell me what the weather will be like in 20 years, but not what it will be like next Tuesday.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

MoelygestLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by MoelygestLR » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:55 pm

exactly tony! exactly! guesswork at the best of times. (oh and FYI it will probably be cold windy and may include some snow! :lol: )
Thanks,

Paul Wood
MGLR

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:51 pm

Solve the oil crisis in one hit put buckets under landrover sumps and recycle. :lol:

My railway is staying in the southern area cos Summer comes sooner on southern :lol:

MTA

Post by MTA » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:24 pm

Sir Clothem Cap:44633 wrote:My railway is staying in the southern area cos Summer comes sooner on southern :lol:
As well as the winter sunshine!

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:26 pm

I havn't seen that poster before brill :lol:

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:22 am

Sir Clothem Cap:44633 wrote:Solve the oil crisis in one hit put buckets under landrover sumps and recycle. :lol:
...or all those Suzuki differentials that explode! :lol: I'll have you know, my Landy is well sorted. However, the Ford... well that IS bucket fulls!

Tell you what, I've never felt so cold in Cornwall before! Wore a scarf for the first time since I was a lil kid! :shock: :lol:

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:29 am

Did you notice how I managed to avoid PMSL at the land rover sump quote............Words cannot express how much I held back on that. :D :D :D :D

Oh & Pete, what kind of Yorkshire man are you, you are supposed to be out in minus 7 wearing shorts & a vest top... All that time in the south has made you go soft! :twisted: :D
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.