Snow

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:11 pm

I remember those days. On the second fall we did attempt to clear the line with a shovel and a pair of Caradocs back 2 back. It didnt work to well.
http://www.freewebs.com/pinetreelightrailway/index.

Cecil your engines on Fire!

Its a Mamod it does that.

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:16 pm

Up on the Ratty during the sencod fall, the trains were cancelled, and they sent a diesel up the line to see what was happening. Somewhere between Irton Road and Eskdale Green, the loco got stuck in a snow drift. Unable to get the engine out, the loco crew aboundond it and walked home in the blizzard, which was slowly getting worse!

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:31 pm

haha, that was 2006, the Shelagh got stuck at the top of hollin how bank! I was planning to go to narrow gauge north in leeds that day, but it was too risky

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:41 pm

Matt wrote:At my last school in Cumbria, we had a very heavy snow fall on a friaday morning in early march 2 years ago.  During lunch hour, the entier school site became a snowball war zone :D , with the entier school of 1000 Kids having a huge snowball fight :D .  I hit about 100 people, and got hit back as many times :D .  After lunch hour, the treachers werer worried that some children wouldn't get home, so they sent us all home, and we didn't have to do afternoon lessons :D .  

Back on the farm where i lived, there was a large, half ball shaped hill, which I, my bothers, and almost every kid in the village, spent the rest of the day sledging down :D .

About 2 weeks later, we had a bizard, which lasted all the way through sunday.  The snow was so deep, we couldn't sledg on it!  Also, because some of the roads were still blocked for days afterwards, school was cancelled on Monday :D !

Sadly, I didn't get a chance to run my trains on those to occasions.  One was that I was having fun sledging, and 2, the track was under 2 feet of snow!
We had a day like that 2 years ago when I lived in Somerset. I lived on the Blackdown hills, the school was in the valley, we managed to get there in my Land Rover, but only 1/4 of the school was there.
I only spent the morning there, and my dad had to come and collect me cus it was getting too deep and there were vehicles stuck on the hill (haha, a anti - 4x4 person refused a tow from us lol). So I got back and went sledging in my field (I used my tractor to tow my sledge back up!!! Ahhhhh, fun times....

No snow in Cornwall, just a little hail :(

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:32 pm

Pity. We got snow, which fell for about 6 hours, but it never fell heavy enough to settle :( . Never mind. There's always next year.