Another Faller Railbus

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Andrew

Another Faller Railbus

Post by Andrew » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:07 pm

Hi all,

Various re-workings of the old (45 years-ish) Faller E Train railbus have appeared on this forum over the years, and it's not really a surprise. Although a little on the small side, they're really attractive vehicles, which need little modification to achieve very pleasing results and, once upon a time, they were available pretty cheaply. I've been running one re-painted in chocolate and cream livery for over twenty years now - it crops up on my (Windmill Hill) Welsh Highland thread from time-to-time, despite looking nothing like anything that ever ran over the real WHR. It's among my favourite models, I've had a second railbus stored away for decades, and I fancied a quick distraction from some long-running projects - I decided it was time for another one...

Although they can look great with nothing more than a coat of paint, I decided to ring the changes a little with this one, removing the top headlight and swooping moulded lining at each end, and replacing with new lining that continues straight across the front. I added further lining across the doors and above the window line, all from microstrip that was once my Dad's, so is probably about as old as the railbus itself. See below for a comparison with the largely unaltered chocolate and cream version:

Railbus 1.jpg
Railbus 1.jpg (438.2 KiB) Viewed 343 times

After that, it was time for painting, and I've gone for a green livery this time - the lining will be picked out in cream:

Railbus 2.jpg
Railbus 2.jpg (400.15 KiB) Viewed 343 times

I've already painted the interior, which is otherwise unmodified - you could do tons to these, but I think you'd lose a lot of the original's charm.

Lining next, then a look at the chassis. That seems to be running OK, I just need to take it apart as much as possible in order to paint it.

Cheers all,

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Another Faller Railbus

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:07 pm

That has changed the character so much and will make a nice railbus model when complete.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:01 am

It looks wider, or is that just the photo angle?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

StuartJ
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by StuartJ » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:12 am

I've always liked these. I have an ETrain one that i started to repaint years ago that really needs stripping back and starting again.

The green works very well on yours.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:21 am

ge_rik wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:01 am It looks wider, or is that just the photo angle?
It does, doesn't it?!

I think it's partly the angle/perspective, and partly that the addition of the roof and chassis makes the chocolate and cream version look taller and thinner.

I have seen a Faller railbus which has been widened, and had extra height added too, I think, to make it more in keeping with other 16mm scale stock - that seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to!

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:25 am

StuartJ wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:12 am I've always liked these. I have an ETrain one that i started to repaint years ago that really needs stripping back and starting again.

The green works very well on yours.
The first coat of green I applied was from an old (possibly very old) can of spray paint I found knocking about somewhere. I knew it was a bad idea - it looked like I'd pebble-dashed it! I had to rub it down and re-spray, and the finish isn't quite what I'd like in places - happily though, this isn't a model intended for either close inspection or entry into competitions!

Glad you like the green - I have a soft spot for old DMUs in their earlier guises. The lining should really lift it, just hope I can apply it neatly enough!

Andrew.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:48 am

Andrew wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:21 am
I have seen a Faller railbus which has been widened, and had extra height added too, I think, to make it more in keeping with other 16mm scale stock - that seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to!
I started to do that with one of mine but gave up in the end, it just didn't seem worth the effort. I was actually planning a 3-car set with the middle one have both driving cabs chopped off and the other two being single ended!

The one pair I do have are in green, as I've shown before, and they look fine, I think.
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 am

philipy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:48 am XI was actually planning a 3-car set with the middle one have both driving cabs chopped off and the other two being single ended!
I really like that idea! I do actually have another railcar, but I've robbed loads of bits for the first two - I'm wondering about turning it into a twin cabbed diesel loco, but that's a VERY long way down the to-do list...
philipy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:48 am The one pair I do have are in green, as I've shown before, and they look fine, I think.
Me too! I had yours in mind...

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:49 am

I do like a railbus, never seen a Faller railbus I didn't like but these are particularly nice. Loads of character and quite distinct.
Rheilffordd Moel Rhos: blog - photos - videos

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:20 am

SimonWood wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:49 am never seen a Faller railbus I didn't like
A truth universally acknowledged...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:21 pm

Caution! Line painting in Progress!

IMG_20240428_191740.jpg
IMG_20240428_191740.jpg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 166 times

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:30 pm

Well, that looks pretty good to me!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:11 am

Strewth! That looks amazing! I've seen a fair bit of lining over the years but that must be among the best.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:05 am

Thanks chaps!

I am pleased with how it's turning out, although it's more a case of colouring in than lining, in that I'm painting along either original moulded lining, or extra stuff I've added. It's pretty fiddly ( don't look too closely!) and time consuming (each line's needed two coats), so I've only done one half so far. I'm hoping to get the other end done during the evenings this week...

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:11 am

Excellent work, sir. :salute:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works