Gmeinder & Co loco

What is your latest project?
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Gmeinder & Co loco

Post by FWLR » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:14 am

So there is no way I could print it with just filament then, that's such a shame, I think it's a brilliant build and extremely well designed. :thumbright:

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:09 am

With filament you wouldn't get the same level of detail, for certain, but I'm not sure just how much you would actually lose. In due course, I'll probably upload the stl's on here, so you could try printing one of the front bonnet sides by itself and see if it works and whether you think it worth going further. I doubt that the grilles would print in filament and the makers plate certainly wouldn't, but the other parts should be ok because they could be printed flat on the bed.
Philip

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:32 pm

It looks like most of it would print reasonably well in filament. I'd probably use the three-part version of the bonnet to allow the sides to lay flat and minimize support. With a 0.12 or 0.16 layer height most of the detail should come through, possibly even the grille- but I always scrutinize the slicer preview with fine stuff like that.

(Great, now you've got me thinking about printing one too!)

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:35 am

philipy wrote: ↑Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:09 am With filament you wouldn't get the same level of detail, for certain, but I'm not sure just how much you would actually lose. In due course, I'll probably upload the stl's on here, so you could try printing one of the front bonnet sides by itself and see if it works and whether you think it worth going further. I doubt that the grilles would print in filament and the makers plate certainly wouldn't, but the other parts should be ok because they could be printed flat on the bed.
No harm in trying it Philip, not going to lose a lot really, just a little bit of filament. :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:40 am

drewzero1 wrote: ↑Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:32 pm It looks like most of it would print reasonably well in filament. I'd probably use the three-part version of the bonnet to allow the sides to lay flat and minimize support. With a 0.12 or 0.16 layer height most of the detail should come through, possibly even the grille- but I always scrutinize the slicer preview with fine stuff like that.

(Great, now you've got me thinking about printing one too!)
( :oops: ... :roll: )

Hopefully when Philip has got around to putting the files into stl: I will try those setting Drew. :thumbright:

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:42 am

philipy wrote: ↑Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:43 pm I'm fairly happy with the overall proportions, but I've been a bit bothered about the actual dimensions and I've juggled them around several times. I even tried to make contact with the museum to ask, but there has been no response at all, which was a bit disappointing. Anyway I think I've settled on the final version ( till next time!).
Back earlier in the month I said that I'd had no reponse from the museum re dimensions, but that was very unfair, I did get a very helpful response which promptly went straight in my junk folder and I've only found by accident this morning! I have of course apologised to them for not acknowledging it. :oops:

I'm actually quite chuffed with my scaling of the original photo because, allowing for the inch measurements he sent, converting to mm and then scaling to 16mil:
The overall buffer beam width should be 64mm and I've got it at 63mm,
The door height should be 67.5 and mine is 68.5.
The door width is a bit out - it should be 26.75 and I have it at 30mm.
Overall, I think that isn't too bad. :D

However, he also sent me a couple of pictures, which I hadn't asked for, and one is a better view of the inside of the cab and I can see where the extra 3.25 on the door width is. The seat appears to be actually fixed to the back wall of the cab, whereas I have it about 3mm clear. Also, because the seat is fixed to the back wall, there doesn't seem to be any sign of the two back legs that I thought I could see on the original pictures! I'm too far along now to make any changes just for those little details, unfortunately, but it won't affect the overall appearnce too much.

The poor loco has been sadly neglected since the museum received it and is in a terrible state now, which is a shame. He said it was never properly primed last time it was painted and has just been left exposed to the sea air.
IMG_2367.jpg
IMG_2367.jpg (8.23 MiB) Viewed 635 times
IMG_2372.JPG
IMG_2372.JPG (4.64 MiB) Viewed 635 times
Philip

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:01 am

Now there is a challenge for the weathering experts!

A little sad, when the custodians of heritage let it rot, but I suppose there is only some much time, money, and man-hours?

Phil.P

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:09 am

Such a shame :oops:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:03 am

Phil.P wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:01 am Now there is a challenge for the weathering experts!

A little sad, when the custodians of heritage let it rot, but I suppose there is only some much time, money, and man-hours?

Phil.P
All true, plus, I suspect, being basically an aircraft museum, they aren't overly bothered about an old German diesel loco. He did also say "Hopefully it ends up on the restoration list at some point!" :dontknow:
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:43 am

Wow. That is a sorry spectacle. You did amazingly well on those dimensions, Philip. My model is more of a compromise as I had to make it fit the HGLW chassis and cab.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 am

I'm working towards the end of this one now!

Firstly, my normal fixation about colour, isn't too much of a prob this time. :lol: :lol: I have 4 choices:
Lightish grey and rust, as per the original picture,
Heavy rust and an assortment of other colours as per the latest picture,
or take it back to its original WW2 colour, which gives me two choices. As far as I can make out, Luftwaffe ground vehicles were painted a very dark blue/black up until 1943 and then the colour changed to a dark greenish black after that.
Nowhere can I find any specific reference to the light grey with red trimmings, so I wonder if that was a post-war repaint to disguise it's military origins? - As we all know, "Continental" railways were very fond of painting wheels etc red. :lol: However, Vallejo specifically do both of those wartime colours. Looking at the original loco picture, at the bottom of the frames is a dark/black area, which could be black or it could be the dark blue/black of the early period, so with nothing else to go by, thats what I'm going for.

Next, a question for anyone who knows or wants to guess. The front of the loco is clearly wearing and an 'iron cross' surrounded by a wreath of leaves, and above it is a small rectangle which looks to have a picture/photo on it.
Any offers as to what it is? I'm tempted to think that it is a memorial of some sort, but it seems a very odd place to put a memorial
2c4429870b8d17299a3d49b93c695bbe--diesel-gauges big 200.jpg
2c4429870b8d17299a3d49b93c695bbe--diesel-gauges big 200.jpg (213.41 KiB) Viewed 573 times
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 am

Looks like this, maybe? I've not found the significance of the oak leaf wreath
german-iron-cross-and-oak-wreath-vector-1057295-2504599054.jpg
german-iron-cross-and-oak-wreath-vector-1057295-2504599054.jpg (359.86 KiB) Viewed 563 times

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 am

Thanks Rik,
I'd not seen that specific pic, but there are loads of variations on the theme. It's the little plaque and apparent picture that puzzle me. TBH, I don't really want to put it on unless there is a good reason to, and I suspect that this is maybe referring to a wartime death somehow associated with this particular loco - a "Hero of the Reich" type thingy?
Philip

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

It's an iron cross and a laurel wreath, so it might be a memorial or a symbol of the locomotive's use. Searching "Eisernes Kreuz im Kranz" yielded similar results:
s-l1200(1).jpg
s-l1200(1).jpg (175.56 KiB) Viewed 561 times
https://www.akpool.de/ansichtskarten/27 ... ichenkranz

Also, https://www.alamy.com/war-memorial-of-t ... 70378.html

Most wreathed iron crosses I've seen are either oak or half oak and half laurel, so it's interesting that the one on the loco is all laurel. The oak is a symbol of strength and longevity and closely connected with Germany.

As for the plaque above it, my best guess is a number plate unrelated to the cross and wreath. They don't seem connected at all in the clearer photo, and here's another Gmeinder with a number plate mounted in that location:
20190907_FFB_Fahrtag_20.jpeg
20190907_FFB_Fahrtag_20.jpeg (688.78 KiB) Viewed 561 times
https://freundeskreis-feldbahn.de/freun ... inder.html

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

Thanks Drew.
I've seen them with 1914 on as well.
Unless somebody can advise differently, I think I'm going to forget about it. I can't believe it was a standard fitting!
Philip

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

I don't think it was standard, and may be considered as a step too far, in authenticity?

I think I would leave it off.

Phil.P

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm

philipy wrote: ↑Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am Thanks Drew.
I've seen them with 1914 on as well.
Unless somebody can advise differently, I think I'm going to forget about it. I can't believe it was a standard fitting!
I've seen a lot of Gmeinders at this point and only this one has it... Unless you're attempting to recreate this particular display, leaving it off seems appropriate. :thumbup:

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:10 pm

Iron Cross & Wreath...gone, from the to-do list!

One of the things I've avoided till now is the question of the couplings. Obviously on the original photo there is a curve fronted bar and what appears to be a chain fixed to an eyebolt, but detail is difficult to see. The new 'rusty' pic is clearer and, by looking at the train behind, it seems fairly clear that they have link & pin couplings, so it looks as though a 3-link coupling but without a pin on the loco, is the answer.
Next point is that the loco coupling is lower than my standard coupling height. I did have thoughts of burying magnets in the front of the bar, but they will be about 10mm lower than the rest of my stock, so forget that one! So for now, I've printed and glued on the bars and turned my thoughts to the couplings. As an experiment, I tried completely printing the whole thing as one item, and to my amazement it actually works. :shock:

So, this is printed complete, no joins :D
Coupling.gif
Coupling.gif (9.97 MiB) Viewed 498 times
I can't see it being strong enough for pulling a full train, but it's an interesting excercise.

Other than that, my new Rx arrived this morning and is working OK on the bench controlling a motor. P1 is working as LED 2, as it should do. I haven't got as far as testing the sound yet.

Oh, and I've also worked out how to use Giphy! :D
Philip

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:54 pm

Wow, that chain is impressive! Resin printed? I knew a guy who carved wooden chains like that out of a single block.
philipy wrote: ↑Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:10 pm Oh, and I've also worked out how to use Giphy! :D
I knew if I put it off long enough my guide would be unnecessary! :oops: :sleepy1: (Almost done anyway!)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:06 pm

philipy wrote: ↑Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:10 pm Iron Cross & Wreath...gone, from the to-do list!

One of the things I've avoided till now is the question of the couplings. . As an experiment, I tried completely printing the whole thing as one item, and to my amazement it actually works. :shock:

So, this is printed complete, no joins :D
Coupling.gif

I can't see it being strong enough for pulling a full train, but it's an interesting excercise.
I have some printed coupling chain links from Jerry Irwin and can confirm their strength....

The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?