British businesses who won't sell to Canada

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Keith S
Driver
Driver

British businesses who won't sell to Canada

Post by Keith S » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:12 am

Hi guys,

I know I've posted about this before and received answers, sort of, but I can't remember what the answers were. I don't actually think I've ever received a satisfactory explanation for this.

Yet again while looking at a small-scale manufacturer's website, I saw a note saying "at the present time, we can not sell kits to Canada, the U.S.A., or countries in the E.U."

I am wondering if anyone understands why this happens. Shipping costs can not be the reason: these companies WILL ship to Australia and New Zealand, along with presumably any other country that is not in North America or Western Europe.

I can assume any manufacturer would prefer to sell as many kits as possible. I can also assume that this isn't an artifact of any anti-Canadian sentiment among small-scale manufacturers of British model railway supplies. That being taken for granted, If I were to order a kit from one of these manufacturers, what would happen to them? Let's also take for granted that any additional shipping costs would be happily covered by the purchaser.

I am really quite baffled as to why some manufacturers outright refuse to sell me a kit or some parts. One (now defunct) manufacturer once told me in person at the 16mm assoc. show in Peterborough, that he wouldn't sell me his product in person because he knew I would be taking it to Canada. (to be fair this guy wasn't British)

I am not trying to criticize anyone. There must be a reason for this. It's just that I'm damned if I can work out why the proprietor of a small manufactory can't put a kit in a box, go the the post office with all the other boxes he'll be gladly sending to Australia that day, and post it to Canada. What is stopping him from doing so? Can anyone explain this? I know I've asked before, but I STILL don't understand.

I have an address in the U.K. I can have things sent to. But that isn't the point.

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Re: British businesses who won't sell to Canada

Post by drewzero1 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:06 pm

The only explanation I could think of is government regulation, something like Canada Consumer Product Safety Act, that might place additional requirements on the manufacturer for documentation and support. I have heard the EU have similar protections, but generally not so much in the US (varies by state). I can't imagine why a seller might not let you do your own importing though, presumably that would insulate the seller from consumer laws outside of the country of sale. :scratch:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:46 am

Seems a bit harsh that. Although if the seller or even the buyer isn't covered for legal reasons or whatever it is, should be addressed I think, why stop a buyer from buying something that another buyer from other countries can buy it, apart from those that you have mentioned...just so harsh again... :dontknow:

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:52 pm

The only guess I have is that registered businesses must have more responsibilities than just "putting something in a box and posting it" the way you or I might if we were selling something. Some condition of having a business license, if that's even a thing.

What's confusing is why some will and some will not ship to Canada. IP engineering, Brandbright, Locoworks, Roundhouse, DJB models, just to name a few, will happily post to Canada, whereas Swift Sixteen, Resurgam, and others I can't be bothered to remember will not. It must have something to do with insurance, or something?

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:17 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:46 am Seems a bit harsh that. Although if the seller or even the buyer isn't covered for legal reasons or whatever it is, should be addressed I think, why stop a buyer from buying something that another buyer from other countries can buy it, apart from those that you have mentioned...just so harsh again... :dontknow:
Right, if it's bought in a country in which the seller can sell, what's it to them where the customer takes it afterwards? That sounds like more of a problem for customs when the buyer transports it, and not something the seller should be concerned about at all at the time of sale.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:51 am

Not sure if it's their reason, but when I was running RC Trains, I stopped selling to distant non EU countries basically because Sod's Law applied in a couple of cases and their kit developed faults. Annoying as I had very few returns overall. I had to cover their return postage costs and also the cost of sending it back to them. In the end it cost me a lot more than any meagre profit I was making so I felt it wasn't worth the effort.

You'll also find that quite a few suppliers won't send to Ireland. I did but one of my Irish ustomers denied the parcel had arrived. Interestingly, when I replied that I would check the tracking details (which I didn't actually have), the parcel suddenly turned up. From then I would only send to Ireland if the customer paid for end to end tracking. A couple of Irish customers withdrew their orders as a result.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:40 am

I can understand that problem Rik when producers sell something that is electrical or mechanical, then there could be issues, but I think what Keith S is talking about is building models kits which usually have no moving parts, so wouldn't it seem right that producers should sell to those countries. It's something that I have just encountered yesterday. I am after a B54MXL-Timing Belt for my little table saw. I have seen them for sale, but the UK manufactures sell them at ridiculous prices, yet in the US I can get them for 40 cents, yes that's correct, but they wont deliver to the UK. I did put 10 in the basket and it din't make any difference. I have found a company that will sell them for $2+ and with p&p it comes out at Β£5-8's difference. The downside is it will take 9-12 days to arrive, which isn't a problem for now, but or the UK suppliers to charge what they do is just money grabbing if you ask me.

This is what I want, the item in the photo isn't the size I want, it would have 54 printed on the belt and not 42...
C23C60D1-2B7F-4D16-B1B6-70F52CD94265.png
C23C60D1-2B7F-4D16-B1B6-70F52CD94265.png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 332 times

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:28 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:40 am
This is what I want, the item in the photo isn't the size I want, it would have 54 printed on the belt and not 42...

I know there is Β£3.33 postage on these but cheap enough at 34p each

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32814325775.html
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:35 am

Keith S wrote: ↑Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:12 am

Yet again while looking at a small-scale manufacturer's website, I saw a note saying "at the present time, we can not sell kits to Canada, the U.S.A., or countries in the E.U."

What in particular are you looking at buying? There is a chance that someone in the UK might buy whatever it is and you pay them for it plus postage? Just a thought.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:43 am

-steves- wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:28 am

Thanks for that Steve. :thumbright: They are not wide enough unfortunately. :(
I need them to be 9.4mm wide. :thumbright:

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:44 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:43 am
-steves- wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:28 am

Thanks for that Steve. :thumbright: They are not wide enough unfortunately. :(
I need them to be 9.4mm wide. :thumbright:
There is always these, choice of length and width.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3280811 ... ry_from%3A

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:03 am

Thanks Steve, there perfect :thumbright:

big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by big-ted » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:54 am

As a fellow Brit now living in Canada, all be it on the far side vs. Keith, I've only experienced this from Swift Sixteen, but also don't know the reason. I do know that Canada has some VERY restrictive laws on paint, beyond just requiring all safety guidance to be included on the label in both English and French. My local shop gave up bringing Humbrol paints in for this reason. As well, here in BC, where it's dark and rainy 14 months of the year, our road markings don't use reflective paint due to difficulties obtaining it. Driving at night with my aging eyesight is a harrowing experience at times, and I'm only 41!

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:28 pm

I think this is due to insurance restrictions?

I have been refused insurance for RC Trains, because I answered 'yes' to do I sell to either the USA or Canada..

Unlimited liability, means the smaller companies can't / won't be able to get insurance..

I have a broker trying to get me an annual deal, rather than 'per show' for public liability etc.

The insurers say I am 'manufacturing', as opposed to just selling something on, I assume.

I do agree, the costs involved in shipping, back and forth, if an item needs repair are a problem. - You probably have to pay duty / vat to get the item released to you when it comes back into the UK for repair, and it is a PITA to claim it back.

Phil.P