Cheapo diesel sound card

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cheapo diesel sound card

Post by -steves- » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:12 am

That card sounds really good in there, as you say, a little short in range, but then diesels don't rev that hard anyway :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:12 am

Is the limited range because you are not using the full-range of the control when actually driving a loco?

On the bench, you can 'wang' (technical term) the control over the full-range, whereas we tend to be a little more restrained, when actually driving.

Phil.P

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:20 am

Phil.P wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:12 am Is the limited range because you are not using the full-range of the control when actually driving a loco?

On the bench, you can 'wang' (technical term) the control over the full-range, whereas we tend to be a little more restrained, when actually driving.

Phil.P
I did wonder that as well, but I 'wanged' the loco up to full throttle out on the track and the engine note hardly changed. I'm wondering it I can somehow tweak the servo output on the Rx.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:27 am

You can supposedly tweak the servo range on the 65c, though I have never tried it..

It might be easier to wait, and see how it reacts, with the MR603?

Phil.P

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:11 pm

Phil.P wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:27 am You can supposedly tweak the servo range on the 65c, though I have never tried it..

It might be easier to wait, and see how it reacts, with the MR603?

Phil.P
I can answer that, it works perfectly with the MR603c. I borrowed one which had a later version on it and it has Pad 1 setup as a servo on CH1. Perfect, now I just have fit it into a model at some point rather than my desk sounding like a diesel engine.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:28 pm

I must say that Andy has been very clever in finding a way to put the Rx into programming mode. As well as the Deltang method, the MR603 can go into program mode by tapping in SOS in morse code on the bind button.

Clever chap!

Ril
------------------------

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:11 pm

ge_rik wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:28 pm I must say that Andy has been very clever in finding a way to put the Rx into programming mode. As well as the Deltang method, the MR603 can go into program mode by tapping in SOS in morse code on the bind button.

Clever chap!

Ril
Indeed, that's the method I use, I thought it was a great idea too :thumbup:

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:47 am

OK, chaps I need some advice, or even just thoughts!

I have a Deltang Rx41d-x-v5 lead-out on P2 passed through MA002b, configured as servo on ch4, sitting around doing nothing.

I originally got it for the Austo-Daimler but didn't use it so it's currently working fine at controlling the Gmeinder chassis going back and forth, so naturally I'm wanting to add the Cheapo sound card, as you do. :D That doesn't seem to be working, though, but I'm not sure if I've not got things wired right, or the Rx programming is wrong, or what?

Andy at Micron programmed it with a servo output on P2/Ch4, so I'm 99% sure that is Ok, and that is his wording above.
I have connected the Rx to a 9v battery that's working fine.
I have connected one of the sockets from the sound card to the servo outputs from the Rx ( yes, the right way round!) and obviously, connected their speaker to its plug.
Turn the Tx knob and the motor spins but the sound system is silent as the grave.

Am I missing something?
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:06 am

philipy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:47 am OK, chaps I need some advice, or even just thoughts!

I have a Deltang Rx41d-x-v5 lead-out on P2 passed through MA002b, configured as servo on ch4, sitting around doing nothing.

I originally got it for the Austo-Daimler but didn't use it so it's currently working fine at controlling the Gmeinder chassis going back and forth, so naturally I'm wanting to add the Cheapo sound card, as you do. :D That doesn't seem to be working, though, but I'm not sure if I've not got things wired right, or the Rx programming is wrong, or what?

Andy at Micron programmed it with a servo output on P2/Ch4, so I'm 99% sure that is Ok, and that is his wording above.
I have connected the Rx to a 9v battery that's working fine.
I have connected one of the sockets from the sound card to the servo outputs from the Rx ( yes, the right way round!) and obviously, connected their speaker to its plug.
Turn the Tx knob and the motor spins but the sound system is silent as the grave.

Am I missing something?
Why is the servo output on ch4? I have my servo output set to ch1 to follow the throttle channel. The sound card should "tick over" as soon as you plug voltage to it, the speed increase is done by mimicking a servo with ch1, on any Pad output. I would recommend using the same battery for esc and sound as it will share the negative. I hope that helps?

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:07 am

P2/Ch4

I think that is your problem?

The throttle output will be Ch1.
Unless you have a way of driving Ch4, there will not be an output.

I think that what Andy has done, is give you a servo output on P2, which is controlled by Ch4. - Possibly a misunderstanding, between the two of you?

Phil.P

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:41 am

Thanks guys, that makes sense, I think.
So are you saying that if I take a wire from the Ch 1 output, thats all it needs?

BTW, it is currently configured that way deliberately, because I was using the inertia knob on the Tx22 re-programmed Ch 4, to control the 360deg servo which raises and lowers the roof on the Austro Daimler.
Philip

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:57 am

You can prove that Ch4 is driving the soundcard, by setting your Tx22 to control Ch4 from the Inertia pot. - It will be centre-off, so you will need to set it to the mid position..

A programming change (on the receiver) will be needed, to set up P2 to be a servo output following H1 (the speed controller).

Phil.P

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:41 pm

Thanks Phil. Yes I had already checked like that, and no sound was produced. I just put a servo on and that did nothing either. Eventually discovered that the signal wire had dropped off the Rx pcb but couldn't see it because of the heat shrink!
Resoldered it and all working fine, both the servo and the sound card, on P2 Ch4

As others have said, I'm quite impressed by the sound card, and when controlled by the inertia knob, the volume is noticeably variable. As expected, the sound also improves significantly when the speaker is enclosed, even just cupped in my hands.

So, all I have to do now is fight the programming. :evil:
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:36 pm

I see you've already been advised - yes, it needs to follow Ch1.
Reprogramming should be easy enough if you have a tx20. Possible with a tx22, but trickier.

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:32 pm

Phil, Rik,
Sorry, being a bit thick now. I kind of know what you mean by "follow P1" but I don't understand what that means in practice? David T's programming instructions are difficult enough for the 65b but for the 41d they are completely impenetrable. :dontknow:
Philip

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:35 pm

Would set Pin2 to be a servo output, following Ch1 (throttle).

Getting the receiver into programming mode, will be the problem..

Would be less than a minute, with a Tx20.
I ought to know where in the country you are, but the brain isn't retrieving the information so well, these days..

We are going over to Porthmadog, end of month (from Nottingham) and I will be stand Y6 at the National show, at the end of April, if either helps?

Phil.P

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:56 am

Thanks Phil.

I'm in S. Northants, but neither of those exhibs are an option I'm afraid, but I appreciate the thought.
Now that I have an idea what I'm aiming at I'll have another play at it myself when I have a spare minute, it isn't urgent.

Having looked at your 3,2,1,1 on the programming table, I can now see how that works although never in a million would I have worked it out for myself!
Philip

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:43 am

OK, progress of sorts, I think.

1) Tx 22 in program mode, that is fine.

2) Rx 41d-22-v5 in program mode, seems to be Ok but...( I'll come back to that in a sec)

3) Tried to set it to 3,2,1,1, but not sure that it has actually accepted it.

4) Connect everything up, and motor runs fine and sound is on from switch-on but NOT following motor speed.

5) So coming back to (2) above, when programming:
Starts with one flash... input 3, which it repeats so ACCEPT it.
Moves to two flashes... input 2, which it repeats, so ACCEPT it
Moves to three flashes... input 1, continues with three flashes, input 1 again, continues with three, then repeat ad infinitum, so eventually ACCEPT anyway.
Moves to four flashes... input 1, continues with four, input 1 again...and so on, eventually ACCEPT in frustration,
Moves back to One flash... goes through the whole sequence again, and again, and...! :dontknow:

Now, I can't remember the detail, but I think I had similar issues when I tried to set it up to P2 Ch4, which is why I sent it to Andy to do, so could there be a problem with my Tx somehow not sending the One flash code?
Philip

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:17 am

If you can change the number of flashes for the other options, you should be able to change any of them. - You are sending the same commands..

It could be you have either an older/earlier version receiver, and the firmware is slightly different.
Or,
There could be a 'feature' in the code in the receiver.

You should be able to work out the version you have, from the numbers written on the chip.

Phil.P

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:32 am

Phil.P wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:17 am

You should be able to work out the version you have, from the numbers written on the chip.
I bought it brand new from Andy in Sept 2022, but there are no numbers written on the chip. I know the Rx65b had the version handwritten in gold, but this is the 41d and appears to be different in that respect.
Philip