Gmeinder & Co loco

What is your latest project?
Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Gmeinder & Co loco

Post by Old Man Aaron » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:35 am

philipy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:10 am Well, so far it's had an initial grey primer spray, 2 coats of acrylic black spray, a coat of black acrylic brushed on, and another coat of grey primer on top!
Egg on my face, then! :lol:

Perhaps a sliver of aluminium foil could be positioned in the 1mm slot, above the LED, with tweezers? It's thin and flexible, yet solid enough to block light.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:48 am

Old Man Aaron wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:35 am
philipy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:10 am Well, so far it's had an initial grey primer spray, 2 coats of acrylic black spray, a coat of black acrylic brushed on, and another coat of grey primer on top!
Egg on my face, then! :lol:
Nah, not really. It was a sensible suggestion. I think the real problem is that the light output from these little LED's is so intense they could double as a laser cutter! :lol:

TBH it isn't really worth the bother that everyone is putting in to suggestions for this. It's highly unlikely that it will ever run at night - it's too @*"$*# cold here by the time it gets dark enough, and even then the blackout light shouldn't show any appreciable light if it's working properly, so it's a bit pointless anyway! :lol: :lol:
It's really just a theoretical excercise whilst I'm waiting for the motor to arrive and I do have one other thought to try at some point.
Philip

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:35 am

Increase the series resistor, and 'weather' the LED..

:geek

Phil.P

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:23 pm

Phil.P wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:35 am Increase the series resistor.....
Beat me to it - my suggestion as well.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:24 pm

Think I've cracked it. I modified the brass tube by filing a slot across the side of the inner end and then soldered a piece of shim brass across the end to cap it. Net result is to trap all the light and only allow it to shine forward. So,

first pic shows it from the top with a minimal sideways light spill but nothing from the top. According to the spec of the real thing, the light cannot be seen from 2000metres, and I think this woudl comply even scaled down. :lol:
IMG_0721.jpg
IMG_0721.jpg (247.15 KiB) Viewed 356 times

2nd shows it from the front
IMG_0719.jpg
IMG_0719.jpg (414.96 KiB) Viewed 356 times

the third pic shows how much light goes back down the tube and out the bottom.( The blue colour is from a piece of tape holding it in place.)
IMG_0717.jpg
IMG_0717.jpg (410.81 KiB) Viewed 356 times
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:26 am

Just been looking at your thread Philip and I have to say you are getting more and more professional at this stuff. The loco you are doing is looking just like the real thing and for you to do that with out very little in the way of dimensions is just exceptional and mind blowing with your human movable parts. It's way beyond me Sketchup and all the rest of the programs you use and I couldn't use a printer like the ones you use because of the health issues Anne has and I am not to sure about me either, but Anne is the one mainly.

Still I am really looking forward to seeing this loco built and running on some track. I get so excited about garden railway stuff, it's taken over my life and things like you and other members who make such brilliant models are truly inspiring. :salute:

Thank you for all that you do and to the other members to... :salute:

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:58 pm

Thanks Rod.
This has been a pig to draw, not because it is inherantly complicated but simply to try to get all the component parts looking at least roughly in proportion, working only from the limited photo info available. I'm still not 100% happy with the interior cab fittings and the driver. I thought I had the cab right, it looked fine, but then when I got a driver figure to suit, either the cab was wrong or the driver would have needed to be a midget! I've fudged it and I'm going with what I've got now, although I know the seat isn't right, but it would be workable, I think.

Sooooo. this is my 'cuttng list', or I guess that should be 'printing list'. :lol:

I am intending to print the two bonnets exactly as shown, but they are in fact both 3 separate parts, if that fails.

Screenshot 2024-03-17 13.46.07.png
Screenshot 2024-03-17 13.46.07.png (53.56 KiB) Viewed 316 times
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:03 am

Would I be able to print that on my printer using PVA or similar. I have only actually printed with PVA though. It's just that you hear some stories about how difficult ABS and other filament can be. I have had some rubbish PVA though and it's been really terrible to use.

I am no where near ready to start printing yet though, I have loads of projects half started, it think we all have don't we.. :roll:

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:56 am

FWLR wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:03 am Would I be able to print that on my printer using PVA or similar. I have only actually printed with PVA though. It's just that you hear some stories about how difficult ABS and other filament can be. I have had some rubbish PVA though and it's been really terrible to use.

I am no where near ready to start printing yet though, I have loads of projects half started, it think we all have don't we.. :roll:
Rod,

I normally use PVA filament, I can't be bothered messing about with temperature controlled enclosures for ABS. I did use it experimentally in my early days but back then my old Qidi printer was fully enclosed which made it simple. Now I have open frame machines, to me it's not worth the hassle, PVA does everything I want.

I'm intending to print the powered chassis and wheels in PVA filament but the rest of it will be resin. I'm not sure how the detail would fare if done in filament. Certainly I'm pretty sure that filament would struggle with the small/fine bits like the bells, lamp, front grilles, etc.

The biggest bits are the two side frames, which are 150mm long, I don't know if they will fit on your printer bed, I know you've had size problems before?

TBH, no, I don't have loads of half finished projects, I don't work that way. :lol: It does often take me a while to get going, but once I start something ( anything) I go at it non-stop until its finished. I simply can't put things down half done. The only exception is the DeWinton I was working on nearly 18 months ago but had big problems with, and its been on the back burner for over a year.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:05 am

philipy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:56 am The biggest bits are the two side frames, which are 150mm long, I don't know if they will fit on your printer bed, I know you've had size problems before?
Will they fit diagonally?

Rik
PS I think you mean PLA filament. Sorry to be pedantic.
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:17 am

ge_rik wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:05 am
philipy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:56 am The biggest bits are the two side frames, which are 150mm long, I don't know if they will fit on your printer bed, I know you've had size problems before?
Will they fit diagonally?

Rik
PS I think you mean PLA filament. Sorry to be pedantic.
:roll: Your correct Rik....PLA.. :lol :lol And it all depends on how wide it is Rik. I am placed some of yours and other members stuff at an angle before but like I say, it all depends on width.
philipy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:56 am
FWLR wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:03 am Would I be able to print that on my printer using PVA or similar. I have only actually printed with PVA though. It's just that you hear some stories about how difficult ABS and other filament can be. I have had some rubbish PVA though and it's been really terrible to use.

Rod,

I normally use PVA filament, I can't be bothered messing about with temperature controlled enclosures for ABS. I did use it experimentally in my early days but back then my old Qidi printer was fully enclosed which made it simple. Now I have open frame machines, to me it's not worth the hassle, PVA does everything I want.

I'm intending to print the powered chassis and wheels in PVA filament but the rest of it will be resin. I'm not sure how the detail would fare if done in filament. Certainly I'm pretty sure that filament would struggle with the small/fine bits like the bells, lamp, front grilles, etc.

The biggest bits are the two side frames, which are 150mm long, I don't know if they will fit on your printer bed, I know you've had size problems before?

TBH, no, I don't have loads of half finished projects, I don't work that way. :lol: It does often take me a while to get going, but once I start something ( anything) I go at it non-stop until its finished. I simply can't put things down half done. The only exception is the DeWinton I was working on nearly 18 months ago but had big problems with, and its been on the back burner for over a year.
Yes I do only have a 150 bed. I am so easily misled.... :lol :lol

Well it looks like I wouldn't be able to build that mightily impressive loco your drawing because of the smaller pieces. Still I am looking forward to how this turns out and can't wait to see it in the flesh so to speak....

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:24 pm

Would the side frames (or one at a time) fit on the diagonal? Just rotated 45° to fit along the hypotenuse of the build plate?

Also, happy 5000 posts Philip! 8)

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:13 pm

drewzero1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:24 pm

Also, happy 5000 posts Philip! 8)
Thanks Drew, I had no idea! :lol: :lol:
Philip

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:09 am

Slowly slowly, getting there. This is the complete kit of parts, apart from the rear end face which is on the printer right now.

The motor with long axles turned up from AliExpress a couple of days ago, despite them saying it would be 5th May! So the chassis is working although the wheels and motor will have to come out again to fit the chain drive between the axles.
IMG_0723.jpg
IMG_0723.jpg (391.63 KiB) Viewed 211 times
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:36 am

I have to say, that does look exceptionally good :thumbleft:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:39 pm

Yes indeedee!
Is the entire thing resin printed?

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:56 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:39 pm
Is the entire thing resin printed?
Thanks guys.

Rik,
The grey is resin and the black is filament.
Philip

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:22 pm

The resin all looks beautifully crisp. I must resume the struggle with my resin printer, if the rewards might be anything like that kind of quality!
Rheilffordd Moel Rhos: blog - photos - videos

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:24 pm

SimonWood wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:22 pm The resin all looks beautifully crisp. I must resume the struggle with my resin printer, if the rewards might be anything like that kind of quality!
Crisp enough? :D
IMG_0728.jpg
IMG_0728.jpg (276.52 KiB) Viewed 174 times

The 'elephants foot' effect is due to being printed flat on the bed, but a couple of file strokes will soon sort that
Philip

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:28 pm

Stunning.
Rheilffordd Moel Rhos: blog - photos - videos