The (Windmill Hill) Welsh Highland Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: The (Windmill Hill) Welsh Highland Railway

Post by FWLR » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:34 am

Great photos Andrew and they do look good.

How do you get so many photos to load please. I have tried with Dropbox and Flicker but I some how get it all wrong, just me I think, but once I have done it, it all becomes clear and easier...
:lol :lol

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:37 am

philipy wrote: ↑Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:23 am
Andrew wrote: ↑Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:04 am
At Clarach, for some reason (because I don't actually have a quarry, perhaps??!)
So time to stop messing about with fancy observation cars for the pampered public, and get yourself a quarry built and properly generate some revenue!! :lol: :lol:
I am sometimes tempted to flog Russell, the Baldwin etc and buy myself a fleet of Quarry Hunslets...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:42 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:34 am Great photos Andrew and they do look good.

How do you get so many photos to load please. I have tried with Dropbox and Flicker but I some how get it all wrong, just me I think, but once I have done it, it all becomes clear and easier...
:lol :lol
Thanks Rod!

I don't know whether it's the most logical method, and it is a little time consuming, but I send myself an email from my phone, attaching the photos I want (I can send about 4 at a time via my Yahoo mail). Then I save the thumbnails (not the actual image file) to my PC and upload those to the forum - they're about the right size and quality.

Hope that helps?!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:00 am

Thanks Andrew,

I will try that later.
Just taken our car πŸš™ for a checkup on it’s tracking, hope it’s serious and blooming costly πŸ™πŸ™

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:56 am

Andrew wrote: ↑Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:37 am
At Clarach, for some reason (because I don't actually have a quarry, perhaps??!)
So time to stop messing about with fancy observation cars for the pampered public, and get yourself a quarry built and properly generate some revenue!! :lol: :lol:
I am sometimes tempted to flog Russell, the Baldwin etc and buy myself a fleet of Quarry Hunslets...
But then it wouldn't be the WHR any more. ☹️ Did any of the quarries served by the railway have their own quarry Hunslets?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:25 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:56 am
But then it wouldn't be the WHR any more. ☹️ Did any of the quarries served by the railway have their own quarry Hunslets?
Don't worry Rik, I won't really do that!

Funny you should ask about Quarry Hunslets and the WHR... I don't think any of the WHR-served quarries operated the classic QHs, but the Cilgwyn quarry, at the end of the Bryngwyn branch, was home to larger Hunslet saddle tank Lilla - the lovely green livery she currently sports is the one she wore there. In 1928 she was sold to the Penrhyn railway, lowered down the incline and dispatched to her new home via the WHR. What if (that classic modeller's phrase!) there was an accident on the incline, and while she underwent a protracted repair at Dinas the Penrhyn deal fell through, leaving the WHR with a loco on their hands? And what if, during testing, she was found to be the perfect motive power for the (imaginary) Clarach branch, a branch which made just enough money to make purchase of the loco viable?

The real "what if" here is "what if I flog some older locos I don't/can't use anymore and cough up for a Roundhouse model of Lilla?" It's very tempting, especially after riding behind the real thing back in June. And, vitally importantly, if I do, should it be in black, green or WHR red??!

StuartJ
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by StuartJ » Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:32 pm

Andrew wrote: ↑Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:25 am
ge_rik wrote: ↑Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:56 am
Don't worry Rik, I won't really do that!

Funny you should ask about Quarry Hunslets and the WHR... I don't think any of the WHR-served quarries operated the classic QHs, but the Cilgwyn quarry, at the end of the Bryngwyn branch, was home to larger Hunslet saddle tank Lilla - the lovely green livery she currently sports is the one she wore there. In 1928 she was sold to the Penrhyn railway, lowered down the incline and dispatched to her new home via the WHR. What if (that classic modeller's phrase!) there was an accident on the incline, and while she underwent a protracted repair at Dinas the Penrhyn deal fell through, leaving the WHR with a loco on their hands? And what if, during testing, she was found to be the perfect motive power for the (imaginary) Clarach branch, a branch which made just enough money to make purchase of the loco viable?

The real "what if" here is "what if I flog some older locos I don't/can't use anymore and cough up for a Roundhouse model of Lilla?" It's very tempting, especially after riding behind the real thing back in June. And, vitally importantly, if I do, should it be in black, green or WHR red??!
Go for it! You clearly want to!

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:12 pm

Red, just to be different!

*Comment may contain bias due to favourite colour :lol:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:50 pm

Hi all!

As I mentioned on my Rolling Stock thread, I don't really know why I stopped my Hudson toastrack project halfway through - I do know why I restarted it though. That was because I rode in the real thing at the Welsh Highland 100 event back in June. On the day I rode on the FR's No 39, it was being pulled by Welsh Pony, in a little rake that also comprised the Ashbury "Summer Car" and passenger brake number 5. It was a lovely little train, just "right" somehow, so I thought I'd recreate it for the toastrack's first proper run. My version's not the same in every detail (a different loco for a start, but the same shape!), but I think I captured the essence of it. Watching it snake up the bank, it reminded me of the "Woodland Wanderer" services the FR's been running for the last few years too.

Wanderer 1.jpg
Wanderer 1.jpg (986.95 KiB) Viewed 10825 times

Wanderer 2.jpg
Wanderer 2.jpg (828.95 KiB) Viewed 10825 times
Wanderer 3.jpg
Wanderer 3.jpg (850.63 KiB) Viewed 10825 times
Wanderer 4.jpg
Wanderer 4.jpg (856.61 KiB) Viewed 10825 times
Wanderer 5.jpg
Wanderer 5.jpg (909.17 KiB) Viewed 10825 times
Wanderer 6.jpg
Wanderer 6.jpg (753.11 KiB) Viewed 10825 times

I'll try to squeeze in one more passenger run before the weather really takes a turn for the worse, then the buildings will come in and it will be "goods only" until Spring...

Cheers,

Andrew

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:05 pm

It all looks great, really neat.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:44 am

Nice them Andrew, just looks right behind the other coaches and the loco too. :thumbright:

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:37 pm

Bucolic perfection.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:39 am

Thanks for the kind words chaps, much appreciated!

Each year, come the autumn, the (WH)WHR gives up on passenger services, and this weekend's sunshine seemed the perfect opportunity to mark the occasion.

Having finally outshopped three very long-term carriage projects this year, the train pretty much chose itself. Between them, the observation car, Ffestiniog brake composite and Hudson toastrack have taken over twenty years to complete! It's commitment, if nothing else...

Last passengers 23 A.jpg
Last passengers 23 A.jpg (943.09 KiB) Viewed 10523 times
Last passengers 23 B.jpg
Last passengers 23 B.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 10523 times
Last passengers 23 C.jpg
Last passengers 23 C.jpg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 10523 times
Last passengers 23 D.jpg
Last passengers 23 D.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 10523 times

So, back to occasional goods trains for me (not that passenger services are especially regular!), and long winter evenings of new projects and catching up with the maintenance backlog...

Cheers all,

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:14 am

Thats why we do what we do isn't Andrew, to love the hobby no matter how long things take. We never finish adding to the rolling stock or buildings in some why do we.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:18 pm

Fantastic Andrew, the whole train is a credit to you, in a lovely setting.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:40 pm

A beautiful set Andrew, worth the wait and a great addition to the fleet.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:35 am

Your line has matured beautifully and blends well into the garden, and the time and effort put into those carriages has been well worthwhile. As they say - Rome wasn't built in a day!
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:25 pm

Afternoon all!

Firstly, apologies for my absence of late. Life's been busy, but the Christmas break has seen me find some time for my hobby - including my traditional New Year's Day run.

I usually opt for steam power at New Year but, for various reasons, my little RH "Hercules" was the only option available this year. It's quite appropriate really, perhaps, because if all goes according to plan (??!) by next January it should no longer exist in its current form but be powering the Kerr Stuart diesel I've been working on instead.

The run was a simple one - extricate some manky tippers from the siding at Penlan, then trundle them up and down the bank a few times. And, despite the wet and murky weather (I was in full waterproofs!) , it went pretty well, a refreshing break in the garden and a reminder of what the hobby's all about. I particularly enjoyed the little loco's headlight glowing bravely in the gloom...

Happy New Year everyone!

Andrew

NYD24 A.jpg
NYD24 A.jpg (219.33 KiB) Viewed 9057 times
NYD24 B.jpg
NYD24 B.jpg (410.39 KiB) Viewed 9057 times
NYD24 C.jpg
NYD24 C.jpg (195.88 KiB) Viewed 9057 times
NYD24 D.jpg
NYD24 D.jpg (254.01 KiB) Viewed 9057 times

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:25 am

Interested to hear about the Kerr Stuart. I've requested the book about KS narrow gauge diesels as my birthday present and am planning to find something in it to go with a soundcard I bought off eBay. These days, my loco builds seem more related to what bargains I find on eBay.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:08 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:25 am Interested to hear about the Kerr Stuart. I've requested the book about KS narrow gauge diesels as my birthday present and am planning to find something in it to go with a soundcard I bought off eBay. These days, my loco builds seem more related to what bargains I find on eBay.
Ooh, I reckon a KS would look great at the head of one of your sand or stone trains...

The thread on mine (a 4 wheel version from a cut-down PDF kit) is here: https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 16#p149605

Progress has stalled somewhat, but I'm hoping to crack on with it over the coming months...

Cheers,

Andrew.