Lady Owain

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Dor_Crank
New User
New User

Post by Dor_Crank » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:50 am

Annie:116044 wrote:All those rivets! - but the final result is well worth it.  This is going to be a very nice steam loco indeed.
1. Where did you buy those brass scaled rivets? The sewing pin heads are not symmetrical and the shafts are usually not centered
on the heads

2. Is that a special tool you've made to punch in the rivet
pins? I would think after drilling holes just say under .002"D
of the pin shafts, u won't need any tool to push them in?

Steve
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Steve » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:28 pm

several model engineering supplier carry these rivets in the UK.

maccmodels.co.uk/other-fastners-rivets/rivets/brass-rivets/3-64-x-3-8-brass-rivets-pack-of-100.html

www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk/

www.sapphireproducts.co.uk/641t1.htm

ekpsupplies.com/brass-roundhead-rivets.html

to push them in I used
ekpsupplies.com/3/64-rivet-snap.html
then soft soldered behind

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:04 pm

What a great job you have done there. As someone who has gone cross-eyed doing rivets I have to admire your patience and the result is spot on.

I suffer from bloody awful colour vision, is it green?
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Steve
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Steve » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:11 am

Jim

Yes its Halfords Rover Brookland Green
and
ProMatic Satin Black

The ProXL 2K Clear Lacquer is yet to be applied - maybe this weekend, waiting for a nice dry day - I will not use that inside

Steve
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Steve » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:13 am

close up of the rivet detail

Steve
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Steve » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:48 pm

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:25 pm

I'm still catching up on threads but fair play Steve that is a beautiful loco. I think Keith is right, Roundhouse are fine in my eye but this takes the loco to another level and rewards your craftsmanship.

Whittles
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Lady Owain

Post by Whittles » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:54 pm

Hello All,
Sorry this post is years off the mark but please could anyone please explain the best way to go about making a gas tank such as the one shown here, its going to be for a Lady Owain as well, any help would be apricated.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:16 pm

Whittles wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:54 pm Sorry this post is years off the mark but please could anyone please explain the best way to go about making a gas tank such as the one shown here, its going to be for a Lady Owain as well, any help would be apricated.
You dug deep to find that one......

You don't say what workshop equipment you have, or your prior model engineering experience. A gas tank is a pressure vessel filled with highly flammable gas and not the sort of thing I'd recommend to a beginner as a first project.

The minimum setup needed would be a lathe to make the bushes, a bench drill, metalworking hand tools and a suitable size propane torch, along with some prior experience with silver brazing (known as silver soldering in civilised countries). I use a 15mm propane torch tip for making gas tanks, as things like a Bernzomatic, or the torches that clip on a butane can, aren't up to the job.

Are you certain that the gas tank that comes with a Roundhouse Lady Anne boiler kit won't fit in the corner of the Owain cab? The Owain kit was designed to fit an Accucraft chassis that came with a horizontal tank, but that doesn't necessarily rule out the RH Lady Anne cab layout. The other advantage of a Roundhouse tank is that it comes with a test certificate.

The photo below shows a horizontal tank I made recently for my replica Dylan which is built on a Lady Anne chassis and boiler. It is made from two pieces of 3/4" square brass tube 60mm long, with 1/16" end plates. This meets the Aust. code for gas tanks using the local butane grade, but I've no idea if it is up to the job in countries that use butane/propane mixtures. It was silver soldered up using SB42 silver solder which is the commonly used silver solder grade used for model boilers here in Oz.

IMG_0627.jpeg
IMG_0627.jpeg (155.44 KiB) Viewed 2889 times

The gas tank that came in the boiler kit would have fitted into the cab on this model, but that tank had already been used in another loco.

There's not a lot written on designing and especially building butane gas tanks for little locos., but the process is similar to building a boiler. You may find a few designs for gas tanks in project articles for garden scale locos.

Regards,
Graeme

Whittles
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Whittles » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:49 pm

Hello Graeme,
Thank you for your reply and pictures of your excellent work, way beyond my skills at the moment, but something I would like to aspire to in time, your quite right about the Roundhouse gas tank, I am sure it would fit but I can't stand the look of them, spoil a good model!!