DCC Chip Identification

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

DCC Chip Identification

Post by -steves- » Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:01 pm

Does anyone happen to know what chip this is?

Thanks
Attachments
IMG20230805160006.jpg
IMG20230805160006.jpg (3.54 MiB) Viewed 2601 times
IMG20230805160000.jpg
IMG20230805160000.jpg (3.83 MiB) Viewed 2601 times
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: DCC Chip Identification

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:12 pm

Shouldn't it come with fish?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:14 am

-steves- wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:01 pm Does anyone happen to know what chip this is?
Hard to tell, since the manufacturer couldn't be bothered printing their name and a model no. on the pcb. The soldering is nothing to write home about, so it may be a DIY kit.

It's a standard NMRA DCC 9 pin socket and the size looks like a fairly generic HO decoder. Assuming it is working and meets the NMRA DCC standards, then reading the value of CV8 will tell you the manufacturer ID and CV7 may give you a software version.

I haven't had a reason to fit a decoder to a loco for years, but I have a decoder tester and an old computer with a copy of JMRI software installed for this sort of thing. There's a couple of hundred DCC manufacturers come and gone over the years and there may easily be a couple of thousand decoder types kicking around by now.

Graeme

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:06 pm

GTB wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:14 am
-steves- wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:01 pm Does anyone happen to know what chip this is?
Hard to tell, since the manufacturer couldn't be bothered printing their name and a model no. on the pcb. The soldering is nothing to write home about, so it may be a DIY kit.

It's a standard NMRA DCC 9 pin socket and the size looks like a fairly generic HO decoder. Assuming it is working and meets the NMRA DCC standards, then reading the value of CV8 will tell you the manufacturer ID and CV7 may give you a software version.

I haven't had a reason to fit a decoder to a loco for years, but I have a decoder tester and an old computer with a copy of JMRI software installed for this sort of thing. There's a couple of hundred DCC manufacturers come and gone over the years and there may easily be a couple of thousand decoder types kicking around by now.

Graeme
I don't think it's a home build as I have 5 of these but no longer have any DCC layout. Amongst the stash I found was 5 of these, 1 x bachmann DCC and 2 x Hornby DCC R8249. I did have them all fitted at one point but I just have no idea who makes these and that makes them a tad difficult to sell, lol :lol:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/