Reversing point to point section in oval

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
JohnJ
New User
New User

Reversing point to point section in oval

Post by JohnJ » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:28 pm

I am using an Aristo-Craft reversing set for a point to point track layout. I have decided to modify that layout by turning it into a complete oval. I would like to wire it to keep the reversing section functioning as a reversing section or by flipping a switch disable it so the oval functions normally. Will this solution work: Using a double throw switch, keep the connection to the reversing unit in place or throw the switch to bypass the reversing unit and have the oval work as usual. I hope this makes sense--hard to explain without a diagram of the layout. (The layout is traditional DC, by the way.) Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Reversing point to point section in oval

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:03 am

JohnJ wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:28 pm I am using an Aristo-Craft reversing set for a point to point track layout. I have decided to modify that layout by turning it into a complete oval. I would like to wire it to keep the reversing section functioning as a reversing section or by flipping a switch disable it so the oval functions normally. Will this solution work: Using a double throw switch, keep the connection to the reversing unit in place or throw the switch to bypass the reversing unit and have the oval work as usual. I hope this makes sense--hard to explain without a diagram of the layout. (The layout is traditional DC, by the way.) Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
It does sound feasible. However, I'm not familiar with the Aristo reversing unit. Does it need isolated sections at each end with diodes?

Rik
PS Welcome to the forum btw
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:38 am

Just did a bit of googling and discovered that the reversing unit does require isolated sections with diodes wired in.
Screenshot_20230701-080704.jpg
Screenshot_20230701-080704.jpg (512.48 KiB) Viewed 2502 times

To extend it to an oval you will need to put in breaks in the track beyond each isolating section and then by-pass the reversing unit with a DPDT switch and also by-pass the two diodes with two DPST switches.

Here's a rough sketch of what I mean. If you need more detail, let me know and I'll draw you a better diagram
reverser2.jpg
reverser2.jpg (316.92 KiB) Viewed 2502 times

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:13 am

Actually, on reflection, put the DPDT switch on the supply side of the unit - and one of the DPST switches can be replaced with a SPST switch
(And I think I've got the diodes the wrong way round)
I did say it was a rough sketch ..... 😉

Rik
------------------------

JohnJ
New User
New User

Post by JohnJ » Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:24 pm

Very helpful including your diagram. I think what I will do is temporarily just connect and disconnect by twisting bare wires together before adding switches. Thank you so much for your thorough response.