Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by FWLR » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:22 am

Always love your work Andrew. Don't know why, but you always seem to do the weathering just right. I have done my first real weathering attempt on a Binnie tipper. I must put it on here for you to look at. Anne likes it, but I think it looks rubbish......

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:07 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:33 pm Will your brake gear be scratch built, or do you used purchased items?
I scratchbuild it, but it's greatly simplified, just an impression really, so that the eye sees something between the wheels and the brain thinks "ah, that must be brake gear"... I thought I'd posted a picture somewhere, but I can't find it so I'll take another...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:09 am

ge_rik wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:41 pm Be interested to see the corrugated roof
It's that rusty thing in the foreground of the last picture! It's a sheet of corrugated sheet from Bole Lasercraft, heated in boiling water and bent to shape, or at least near enough to shape to allow me to glue it on... Pictures of the finished van by the end of the week, I hope!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:13 am

FWLR wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:22 am Always love your work Andrew. Don't know why, but you always seem to do the weathering just right. I have done my first real weathering attempt on a Binnie tipper. I must put it on here for you to look at. Anne likes it, but I think it looks rubbish......
Thanks Rod, much appreciated. Weathering tippers is hard, I think, I'm not entirely pleased with mine. I prefer wood, because you can get stuck in with th sandpaper...

There are always things we wish we'd done better, but - for what it's worth - my top tips for weathering are to look at lots of pictures of the real thing, only weather in natural light, and be prepared to experiment. I disregard all of them sometimes, but those are often the times where things don't turn out as I'd hoped...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:55 am

Andrew wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:09 am
ge_rik wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:41 pm Be interested to see the corrugated roof
It's that rusty thing in the foreground of the last picture! It's a sheet of corrugated sheet from Bole Lasercraft, heated in boiling water and bent to shape, or at least near enough to shape to allow me to glue it on... Pictures of the finished van by the end of the week, I hope!
So obvious when you point it out. I like the rusting effect. Iron filings and vinegar?

Rik
------------------------

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:52 am

ge_rik wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:55 am
So obvious when you point it out. I like the rusting effect. Iron filings and vinegar?
Thanks Rik!

It's iron filings (the finest I could find) and copper suplate solution, which seems to produce a more orangey rust than vinegar. I tried to replicate the way that the rust seems to spread along the "troughs" in corrugated iron first.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:08 pm

Hello all!

I've been quiet for a while, partly because not much has been going on, but also because my old phone was playing up, making posting pictures difficult.

Here's a quick summary of some rolling stock projects...

Ffestiniog Van 4's been in progress for a long time now, but is getting there. I've recently added lettering, beading around the windows, door handles and grab rails, footboards, and some light weathering. It's had a coat of varnish, so now I think the exterior is complete. Droplights, interior sides, interior painting, glazing, and detailing with figures etc to go now. That will take place over the winter so that the carriage can enter service next Spring.

Van 4 - 4.jpg
Van 4 - 4.jpg (224.32 KiB) Viewed 2424 times

I ought to be focusing on finishing that, but I came across an "H Jones Engineering" kit for the FR's Goods Van 116 (or 99, as it's known these days) and couldn't resist. It's only £40, which includes running gear and fantastic replicas of the little couplings used on FR goods stock. I'll be constructing it in my own idiosyncratic way, including overlaying individual planks etc, but here's what it looked like when I opened the box:

Van 116 - A.jpg
Van 116 - A.jpg (231.99 KiB) Viewed 2424 times

Shockingly, even for me, I got distracted from my distraction. I had the house to myself yesterday evening, and - with no competing demands on the kitchen table - I got stuck into another project - Wagon on a Work Night! Regular readers of this thread may recall that, a while back, I decided to see if I could build a WHR guards van in a weekend. I got off to a good start but the project eventually took at least 6 months to complete, so last night I tried again, this time with a Ffestiniog iron-bodied coal wagon.

At five o 'clock-ish I started with some photos, some sheets of plasticard, and a new blade in my Stanley knife:

Iron coal wagon 1.jpg
Iron coal wagon 1.jpg (173.53 KiB) Viewed 2424 times

And, by 10 o'clock, I had this:

Iron coal wagon 2.jpg
Iron coal wagon 2.jpg (202.87 KiB) Viewed 2424 times

Not quite finished, but it's got wheels, and couplings, and so I could take it for a spin around the garden, so I'm calling that a success! I'll continue this evening with some more detail... It's a case of "more haste, less speed" really, because this morning someone contacted me with the actual dimensions of the wagon. I'd guesstimated them from phots, with the result that my version's a little big all over, but better over-scale than under, I always reckon...

More progress as it happens...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:54 pm

Looks good to me Andrew, no-one else would notice the difference I'm sure.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:27 pm

I agree with Peter, it does look good so far. As for the size, it looks OK alongside the coal wagon behind.
Philip

Red Star
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Red Star » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:36 pm

I like the coal wagon Andrew, I guessimated the dimensions for it as well when I did the 3D printed one - not quite right the first time (too narrow for a start), and then redrew it to try and get it a bit more like the prototype. There was a few bits in one of the Ffestiniog moving pictures (number 59) going through the new stock storage shed which IIRC caught a few glimpses of this wagon, which were handy for the end door detail. Look forward to seeing how this goes.

Andrew

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:48 am

The Ffestiniog Van 4 is looking superb as usual Andrew, how you hand cut all those windows so accurately is beyond me.
Oh! and of course it has step boards as well.
Grant.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:21 am

Red Star wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:36 pm I like the coal wagon Andrew, I guessimated the dimensions for it as well when I did the 3D printed one - not quite right the first time (too narrow for a start), and then redrew it to try and get it a bit more like the prototype. There was a few bits in one of the Ffestiniog moving pictures (number 59) going through the new stock storage shed which IIRC caught a few glimpses of this wagon, which were handy for the end door detail. Look forward to seeing how this goes.

Andrew
Thank you! I should have said, it was your model that inspired my to build mine!

Size-wise, I think it's about a scale foot too long, and perhaps six inches too tall and wide, and I can live with that. What I can't live with is that the way I'd added angle iron to the opening end meant that the doors on the real thing wouldn't have worked! My line's miniature coal merchants would probably be quite pleased at the extra capacity of my plus-sized wagon, but not at all happy that they couldn't get the coal out of the wagon without climbing into the thing!

I've applied a couple of hundred rivets and will add more detail this evening, then I can paint it. It's a bit cold for spraying really, but i don't mind a slightly ropey finish on a goods wagon which i'll be weathering anyway...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:25 am

LNR wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:48 am how you hand cut all those windows so accurately is beyond me.
I don't, they're all different - I have to make a bespoke droplight for each door!

LNR wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:48 am Oh! and of course it has step boards as well.
I knew you'd like those! I think of you whenever I do them - funny the thing's we're known for, isn't it? A fondness for weathered foot boards on 16mm scale carriages is pretty niche...

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:42 am

Wow Andrew, 5 hours and you have a running model :salute: That's far faster than I could dream of :lol: :lol: It would be almost 5 weeks or more for me :roll: :lol:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:10 am

FWLR wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:42 am Wow Andrew, 5 hours and you have a running model :salute: That's far faster than I could dream of :lol: :lol: It would be almost 5 weeks or more for me :roll: :lol:

Don't tell anyone, but I actually only had the coupling on one end!

It's usually at least 5 months!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:13 am

Andrew wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:10 am
FWLR wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:42 am Wow Andrew, 5 hours and you have a running model :salute: That's far faster than I could dream of :lol: :lol: It would be almost 5 weeks or more for me :roll: :lol:

:laughing3: :laughing3:

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:22 am

Andrew wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:25 am
LNR wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:48 am how you hand cut all those windows so accurately is beyond me.
I don't, they're all different - I have to make a bespoke droplight for each door!

Funnily enough, that is the same on most of the heritage stock as well!

:dontknow:

Phil.P

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:38 pm

I do like the faded coach livery. Is it off the shelf or mixed?

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:50 pm

FWLR wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:13 am
Andrew wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:10 am

:laughing3: :laughing3:
Maybe we should have a forum competition for the fastest wagon build? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Philip