Binnie Tub Body

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Binnie Tub Body

Post by FWLR » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:56 pm

Well I have printed the Tub Body and it has turned out pretty good. I didn't need any supports or brim and the parts came off very easy. Only thing has I am not that well clued up on rolling stock and locos for that matter, :dontknow: how would I put these onto a Binnie chassis. The two strip's haven't got a clue what they are for and I presume the two blocks are for putting the Tub Body into.....

Anyway couple of photos, sorry about the fuzzy photos too.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Binnie Tub Body

Post by FWLR » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:57 pm

By the way I only have white filament, but I think it should hold paint pretty good...

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:12 pm

I haven't printed these, but I assume it's similar to the original Binnie V skips - they go on the ends of the tub with the 'scroll' bits upwards, semi-circular cutout away from the body to slot over rounded nub on the supports.
FWLR wrote: ↑Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:57 pm By the way I only have white filament, but I think it should hold paint pretty good...
I've printed black, white, grey and brown so far, primed with Hycote primer and then painted you wouldn't know what colour the filament was underneath.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:06 pm

That looks like it's printed very well, I would be happy with that :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:27 am

As Simon says, the pivots glue on the ends using the raised ridge as a positioning guide.

The strips should have stayed attached to the tub, but aren't essential, they just added a bit of riveting detail.

The tub then hangs in the supports in place of the 'V' body, so not directly on the plain Binnie chassis.

I have a couple of rakes of tippers so just like to switch the bodies out for a bit of variety, for instance the powder wagon body can just be switched with a skip body in the middle of the train.
I might add a water tank, and a brake wagon to the range if there's any interest.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:50 am

SimonWood wrote: ↑Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:12 pm I haven't printed these, but I assume it's similar to the original Binnie V skips - they go on the ends of the tub with the 'scroll' bits upwards, semi-circular cutout away from the body to slot over rounded nub on the supports.

I've printed black, white, grey and brown so far, primed with Hycote primer and then painted you wouldn't know what colour the filament was underneath.
Thank you Simon. Thats good to know.

-steves- wrote: ↑Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:06 pm That looks like it's printed very well, I would be happy with that :thumbup:
Thanks Steve. I have slowed the speed down to 50 and layer height 0.10. Thats what I use for most of my prints now. It takes a bit longer, but they do seem to print better.

BorisSpencer wrote: ↑Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:27 am As Simon says, the pivots glue on the ends using the raised ridge as a positioning guide.

The strips should have stayed attached to the tub, but aren't essential, they just added a bit of riveting detail.

The tub then hangs in the supports in place of the 'V' body, so not directly on the plain Binnie chassis.

I have a couple of rakes of tippers so just like to switch the bodies out for a bit of variety, for instance the powder wagon body can just be switched with a skip body in the middle of the train.
I might add a water tank, and a brake wagon to the range if there's any interest.
Thanks Boris... It's good to know that there are members who know more than I do, which isn't a lot for me....

I think the water tank and brake wagon would look good has a rake... I would print them. :thumbright:

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:53 am

BorisSpencer wrote: ↑Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:27 am I might add a water tank, and a brake wagon to the range if there's any interest.
Ooh, yes, there's be interest from the Moel Rhos in a brake wagon. I started a very crude coffee-stirrer brake on a Binnie bolster chassis to run with my skips, well over a year ago, but seem to have lost motivation for completing it...

Water tank - maybe, I've already got one of the very nice Swift Sixteen teeny water tanks, but can a railway have too many? Water's useful stuff...

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:16 am

Rod - I've just noticed that the powder wagon sits quite nicely on a plain Binnie Chassis. Just leave off the pivots and glue in place.
Not what it was designed to do, but with Binnie bolster chassis at 2 for Β£10 they're simply not worth printing.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:22 am

Thanks Boris, I will look at that and see what it looks like.

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:57 am

That's looking smart.. Did you share the file? πŸ˜€

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:27 am

sjrixon wrote: ↑Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:57 am That's looking smart.. Did you share the file? πŸ˜€
I got this from Borispencer I think. My memory is rubbish. I know it was only last week. I can dig it out of my files and post it, but Phillip may well have to help with posting it. He did show me how to do it from Thingiverse, but doing it from my own files......I :dontknow:

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:01 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:27 am
sjrixon wrote: ↑Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:57 am That's looking smart.. Did you share the file? πŸ˜€
I got this from Borispencer I think. My memory is rubbish. I know it was only last week. I can dig it out of my files and post it, but Phillip may well have to help with posting it. He did show me how to do it from Thingiverse, but doing it from my own files......I :dontknow:
I must admit that I've got slightly lost here with who is asking who for what! However if it is the Tub body, then Boris has posted it in the 3D Print files section, I'm not sure what Thingiverse has to do with it? :
https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 55&t=13370
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:27 am

philipy wrote: ↑Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:01 am I must admit that I've got slightly lost here with who is asking who for what! However if it is the Tub body, then Boris has posted it in the 3D Print files section, I'm not sure what Thingiverse has to do with it? :
https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 55&t=13370
It was when you showed me how to post files from Thingiverse Phillip.

I said it was a file that Borispencer I got from him. The file I have is Borispencers, but I would need you to show me how to post it from my own copy in my files on my laptop.
But seeing has you have now said it is in the Β£d Print Files section, he/she should be able to get it from there. :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:28 am

That posts English is rubbish. I hope you can understand it Phillip..... :roll:

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:29 pm

That was a thread I posted in.... oh well, getting forgetful too! Thanks

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:52 am

Doesn't look too bad. On my printer a little support would have helped, the print isn't clean underneath the curves.
20210429_081909 (1).jpg
20210429_081909 (1).jpg (506.57 KiB) Viewed 3075 times
I'll attack it with a file, sandpaper and primer later.

I'm also seeing if I can reliably print a chassis for it. It's on the printer at the moment!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:53 am

That does look great on the chassis. I can see that the two parts that came off my print does make it look like they should be there. Good job I kept them.....

Hope the chassis is also a success, then we have a lot of printing to do for a nice long train of them... :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:59 am

By the way I have slowed the speed down to 50 and layer height 0.10. I find that the slower speed and the fine layer height gives a better print, lot slower but worth it in the end I feel.

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:44 pm

The chassis came out ok, some tweaks as I printed the base in 3 sections. The axle is also a little short, as I made the chassis a little wide, so it wobbles a little. But I guess these did anyway ;)

Sat next to a standard Binnie Skip for comparison.

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:50 pm

I think I'm happy with it. I've posted it, but I feel I need one more print to be 100% happy. You have been warned ;)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4843877