(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by pippindoo » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:57 pm

Loving those wagon loads and the fact they can be easily swapped about utilising the wagons full potential as per prototype. I used bath sponges, 35p from a local Pound Shop. I just nip the top to remove them. Here's an I.P. WD open wagon with a load of sand, which is actually not sand! I just carved the sponge with scissors then slapped on some Humbrol Brick Red. I have coal and gravel loads made the same way but with pink and white sponges! Posh.
IMG_20210104_174652.jpg
IMG_20210104_174652.jpg (776.79 KiB) Viewed 3797 times
IMG_20210104_174734.jpg
IMG_20210104_174734.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 3797 times
Love the very teasing view of the new coach too, partly hidden by the shed door!

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:48 pm

Andrew,

Those wagons look fantastic! The bogie open looks exactly the way I remember the one (two?) lying at Beddgelert in the late sixties. The loads look incredibly realistic and 'fill' the wagons 'properly' (i.e. no gap between the load and the wagon side) It's a great step toward realistic operations.

Pippindo,

That sand load looks more realistic than real sand! I'm so impressed. There isn't much call for sand traffic on my line but I'm going to have to invent a building project somewhere along the way to justify having one myself - always assuming I can come somewhere close to replicating your excellent example.

Great work fellas.

CFLR Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:11 pm

Soar Valley Light wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:48 pm
The loads look incredibly realistic and 'fill' the wagons 'properly' (i.e. no gap between the load and the wagon side)
Ah. That's very kind of you, but the apparent lack of a gap is largely down to camera angle - some of the loads are quite "gappy"! Painting the edges of the blocks helps though - and the gaps make it easier to take them in and out, which I'm keen on...

The glue's drying on the last load, photo soon...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:47 am

I like the ridges on the sand load. Adds to the realism.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:08 am

Your matchboard coach is looking really superb Andrew, a job I like doing myself has you have seen with some of my builds. There is a certain relaxation about using matchboard for models that is something which is mostly rewarding when you sit back and say to yourself,

"I made that" :)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:42 pm

Hello!

As promised, here's an update - if this looks like a load of cr*p, then I've got it about right:

Wagon loads 2.jpg
Wagon loads 2.jpg (110.51 KiB) Viewed 4352 times

A little research showed that back in pre-preservation days the Welsh Highland sometimes used to carry manure - which I've (hopefully!) replicated with a compost/PVA mixture and some old brush bristles.

I'd assumed that manure would have been being transported from the local farms to fertilise barren city parks and flowerbeds, but it seems it was the other way round - cities, full of horse-drawn carts etc, were desperate to get rid of the stuff. I'd thought too that it would have travelled in sacks, but it appears that mineral wagons, like this one, were used, much more fun to model!

For now I've completed my ultra low-cost (no cost!) wagon load project with a tool to retrieve the loads - the end of a magnetic dart that came with a kids' dartboard, glued into a length of garden cane:

Wagon load 3.jpg
Wagon load 3.jpg (87.78 KiB) Viewed 4352 times

Poo sticks, anyone???

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:53 pm

I'm going to have to produce something similar for the Boneworks. For some reason, they also collected piles of manure as well as carcases. Maybe it was something to do with the production of fertiliser??

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:56 pm

Looks so convincing I can smell it from here!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:30 pm

Puts a whole new aspect to the term 'train movements'!

Fantastic stuff Andrew and very effective too.

CFLR Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:12 am

Fantastic idea Andrew. :goodpost

So much can be achieved with a little bit of imagination. It's getting to be a lost art.... :roll:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:35 pm

Afternoon all,

I mentioned earlier that I'd made three granite loads for a future project - which is now underway...

I'd planned for a while to model at least one of the Ffestiniog's side tipper wagons, which were converted from 3 ton slate wagons. I'm not sure what the originals were for, but in my made-up history the Welsh Highland has "borrowed" them for the Penlan granite traffic.

I somewhat ambitiously decided they'd make a good first project for 3D CAD. Naturally, I fell at the first hurdle (I'll pick myself up and try again sometime!) but the idea piqued the interest of a fellow GRF member, who very generously finished the project, resulting in this kit of parts, seen after an initial clean up:

FR tipper 1.jpeg
FR tipper 1.jpeg (120.42 KiB) Viewed 4086 times

I don't recall working with PLA before, and it's an interesting experience. I'm finding it sort of "sticky", as in when you clean the flash from a part it seems reluctant to leave! Beautiful parts though, aren't they? It's really interesting to see a project through another modeller's eyes - the level of detail incorporated is quite exquisite. Amazing to think too that all this was modelled on a screen first, and then extruded into being...

Anyway, here's where I'm up to so far - One wagon (the prototype, sent to me fully finished) in primer (looks good in gold, doesn't it?!), one partially complete, and the last with some new pieces being made to represent FR wagon 830, which has some detail differences:

FR tipper 2.jpeg
FR tipper 2.jpeg (118.8 KiB) Viewed 4086 times

I'm taking my time over this, doing a little every now and then, but I'll keep you posted...

Cheers,

Andrew

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:13 am

That is brilliant Andrew. They do look very very good and when put at the back of one of your locos they will be a train to be proud off.

Must look to see if I can locate those files..... :roll: :roll:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:22 pm

Afternoon all!

After a period with very little time for modelling, this week I've managed to find an hour or two to progress a couple of projects. Two of the three Ffestiniog tippers I'm putting together from a member's 3D printed parts have now made it onto their wheels and are painted - the real things are a slightly darker grey, but some weathering should take care of that. I'm still fiddling about with some detail differences on the third one, but decided not to hold up progress on this pair...

Behind them, work has recommenced on the FR brake - I hope to finish the matchboarding this weekend, then I can seal and sand it before adding detail to the duckets and ends.

FR tipper 3.jpg
FR tipper 3.jpg (127.21 KiB) Viewed 3820 times

All the best,

Andrew

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:18 pm

False bottoms - they're the way forward! No, I'm not talking prosthetic posteriors (although I'm sure there are forums for such discussions), but dummy wagon floors, with extra weight added underneath. I did it on my recent coal wagon build and have just employed the same trick with the tippers. The picture shows one wagon with its weight and false floor added, and the bits ready for adding to another - lead sheet is wonderful stuff! The wagon now weighs in at over 160g, which should be enough, I think...

Cheers,
Andrew

IMG_20210306_115738044_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210306_115738044_HDR.jpg (3.06 MiB) Viewed 3749 times

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:00 pm

Good idea if there isn't enough room underneath between the solebars.
Coming on well.
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:33 pm

Afternoon all,

After weeks with little time for progressing my current projects, I've managed to crack on a little lately.

Here's the third of the FR tippers, this one modified to represent 830 - all three now await weathering. And FR Van 4, with most of the woodwork now complete. This needs a little more detailing, then it'll get a coat of paint before I turn my attention to the interior.

FR van 4.jpg
FR van 4.jpg (200.86 KiB) Viewed 3517 times

FR van 4 2.jpg
FR van 4 2.jpg (207.4 KiB) Viewed 3517 times

Van 4's a quirky carriage, rebuilt from an 1880s full brake in 1928, with the result that the ends are 40 years older than the sides. The eagle-eyed may have spotted that it has a different of coupling at each end. The real thing does too, with a chopper type at the Blaenau end and a slate waggon type at the Porthmadog end, harking back to the days when up passenger trains would have a string of slate empties attached to the rear. I hadn't noticed that when I built my model of similarly-equipped Van 2, so I was able to removed one of that carriage's couplings and swap it, resulting in a spare for Van 4. The waggon type coupling's a little large, but it should cope well with my sharp-ish curves...

As you can also see, the track needs some tidying up before trains can run - I've made a start...

Cheers,

Andrew.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:33 pm

Tippers have turned out well Andrew. :D
I do like the coach as well, be interesting to see it with interior and paint job.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:17 pm

Agreed, you have put a lot of work into the coach and it looks great.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:40 am

That's a mighty fine looking coach. I'm not sure I fully understand how the different couplings worked. I can see the logic of it travelling in the Up direction, but what happened in the Down? Did they have to reverse the coach at each end?

Rik
------------------------

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:36 am

ge_rik wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:40 am That's a mighty fine looking coach. I'm not sure I fully understand how the different couplings worked. I can see the logic of it travelling in the Up direction, but what happened in the Down? Did they have to reverse the coach at each end?

Rik
They did actually turn one of these carriages to run on the WHR out of Portmadoc at the time.

Generally speaking, on the FR the empty slate waggons were pulled up the line and descended back down by gravity. To aid in coupling, the vans used the hook and link on the down end. The Birmingham's, Small Asbury's and quarryman's all had screw couplers, with a hook at the top end. This made it easier to couple the locomotive (hook and link) to the carriages. The vans hook and link also allowed easier coupling to the locomotive. Bogie carriages had choppers with various adaptions to allow hook and link Birmingham's to be coupled; from my understanding the bogie carriages were generally kept as pairs (for example, 15 and 16) with a van added and Birmingham's as "spares".

It's a mess I know, I think this is why the Garraway administration adopted choppers for all stock (if possible)!

See here: https://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/Coupling