The Potters Orchid Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:16 pm

FWLR wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:37 am Thats the trouble Dazza when people think you have loads of knowledge on something, they tend to ask lots of questions. They could look it up online if they know the name of something.......Like I did... :oops: :roll:

But I didn't know did I....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a brilliant forum this is though. We can talk about almost anything and we get friendly positive replies...
Forums are about sharing, asking and did I mentions sharing. :thumbup:
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:17 pm

The "Potters Orchid Railway" board of directors inspected the mock up of the intended awning over the main smelly cheese and wine consumption location, just to get a feel of what it may look like.

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:25 pm

While watering the plantings this morning Captain Plod contemplated track ballasting and the final push to complete Potters Junction yard next winter.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:54 pm

A colourful feast for the eyes, the planting is now looking so good it will be a real pleasure to sit and smell the cheese!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:01 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:54 pm A colourful feast for the eyes, the planting is now looking so good it will be a real pleasure to sit and smell the cheese!
Thanks Peter, shame you cannot visit.I am going to let the railway details sit for a while during the hot weather, run some evenings and work in the Red Room work shop on the loco build. Loco build is the project concentration for the next 4- 6 months.
Take care over there.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:38 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:01 pm
Peter Butler wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:54 pm A colourful feast for the eyes, the planting is now looking so good it will be a real pleasure to sit and smell the cheese!
Thanks Peter, shame you cannot visit.

I do have a cousin in Aus. so don't count me out!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:29 am

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:38 pm
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:01 pm
Thanks Peter, shame you cannot visit.

I do have a cousin in Aus. so don't count me out!

That would be super, by all means rock on in. That would be terrific, however it may be a few years, maybe as many as 4-6 years before international tourism occurs again.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:14 am

The planting is settling down beautifully and I love the way that some of the different coloured clumps are starting to join up. Once the water starts running as well ( not to mention the trains of course :lol: ), it will be a real joy all round.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:21 am

Looking fantastic Dazza. Every time you post photos the foliage getting better and better. You and MAM should be very proud...I know Anne and I would be..

Take care yourself Dazza and MAM... :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:28 am

Wow! A feast for the eyes. Congratulations to MAM on the planting! I see the awning I'd taking shape 👍

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:27 am

What an amazing transformation compared to pictures of the site from a year or so ago!

How does it compare to the vision you had in your mind's eye back when you started - a close match, or has it changed as it's gone along? #

I'm very much looking forward to seeing some trains in that wonderful landscape you've created...

Andrew.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:14 pm

Andrew wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:27 am What an amazing transformation compared to pictures of the site from a year or so ago!

How does it compare to the vision you had in your mind's eye back when you started - a close match, or has it changed as it's gone along? #

I'm very much looking forward to seeing some trains in that wonderful landscape you've created...

Andrew.

Thank you Andrew and every one else for your kind comments. Much appreciated. To share is what forums are about eh ! I feel it has followed the first sketches and what the imagination envisioned. I sat on many occasions with a glass of contemplation juice in hand, pondering and scribbling sketches before the track was laid.Some aspects varied and were discovered as the rock was pushed into place in dry runs to see how it looked and let the outcome reveal its self to our eyes. This could never be a big railway, nor did I want to be a slave to detail, it is never to be a scale model railway. For me a scale period model railway is to clap on handcuffs I have no desire for. However I enjoy looking at scale period model railways, I admire the skill and application. However for that amount of energy and application I rather be involved with a real heritage railway, which I am and that is living the dream of driving full size steam locos with 200 tons on the hook on an interesting branch line. "Mary Valley Rattler". Because you can never obtain 100 % perfection in a model. I am a keen metal worker so making the coal fired loco and a dream is to take it to the UK on a holiday when and if world travel returns before I am compost. My 5" gauge projects await as well. I am not a fan on doing laps on my back side, I like the making process. For me and MAM the railway is to have the feel, fun and whimsical of a garden with a railway in it. To sit, watch and have fun with friends and let their kids enjoy it. ( MAM and I have no children) Heck, this is our first garden railway and I am confident it will be our only one. It has been a very enjoyable journey so far and it has been pent up in me for 45 years. This coming winter the plan is to work on Potters Junction yard and give it some buildings and signals.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:30 pm

philipy wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:14 am The planting is settling down beautifully and I love the way that some of the different coloured clumps are starting to join up. Once the water starts running as well ( not to mention the trains of course :lol: ), it will be a real joy all round.
Thanks. We have run trains and the water. There is a few videos here some where in this thread. We drain the water out due to council regulations regards breeding mosquito. the wrigglers are there in days. I could put creek fish in and plants but the pond is small and the residue will clog the pump, too much maintenance.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:10 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:30 pm We drain the water out due to council regulations regards breeding mosquito.
Yet another reference to one of the many things in Australia which are out to get you!
With so many kicking, biting, stinging and infecting things in the country it is surprising anyone makes it into adulthood.
Here in UK we have one venomous snake and a few poisonous mushrooms, which never bite back.
I might re-think about visiting after all?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:40 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:10 pm
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:30 pm We drain the water out due to council regulations regards breeding mosquito.
Yet another reference to one of the many things in Australia which are out to get you!
With so many kicking, biting, stinging and infecting things in the country it is surprising anyone makes it into adulthood.
Here in UK we have one venomous snake and a few poisonous mushrooms, which never bite back.
The most dangerous thing you will do in Australia, UK and anywhere in the rest of the world is get in your car and drive down the highway or climb a ladder.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:55 am

Or argue with your missus, because there will only one winner there and it's... HER..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:51 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:40 pm
The most dangerous thing you will do in Australia, UK and anywhere in the rest of the world is get in your car and drive down the highway
So stories of my wife's driving have reached Australia.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:37 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:51 am
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:40 pm

The most dangerous thing you will do in Australia, UK and anywhere in the rest of the world is get in your car and drive down the highway
So stories of my wife's driving have reached Australia.
I am sure that is a bit harsh. ;)

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:39 pm

MAM and I have never had a garden railway before. It is nice the plants are doing what we hoped they would. 3rd August and 23 November. The distant signal would look nice installed for the pic but they will only be coming out for the bigger run events.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:41 pm

Potters Orchid Railway director chairperson grabs a paint brush and a tin of primer before the rest of the halt awning is completed. A glass of wine as a reward while giving the location a test run via her chair.