Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:15 pm

I have now set about the repairs mentioned above and have made a surprising discovery. The building which had a loose ridge tile strip was in worse condition than previously thought. When I removed the ridge, made from HIP and plastic tube, it was intact but separated from the resin roof panels as the adhesive hadn't held.
Also, the resin sides had become detached in places from the resin roof sections.
I know manufacturers go to great lengths to ensure their products are able to withstand exterior use in all weather conditions, and to a degree they do, but......
IMG_7789.JPG
IMG_7789.JPG (102.26 KiB) Viewed 4414 times
This is one side of a resin building which has distorted.
Whilst my HIP structures have 'welded' components together, resin ones rely on adhesive, which is obviously the weak link. I used two part epoxy adhesive to bond them but it has not been up to the job. Is there a better way?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:43 am

I only have limited eperience with resin kits outdoors - 2 to be precise; a GRS windmill and a GRS station building, both of which have been outside since 2014. Although the paintwork is a pain, alway peeling off, I'm not aware of any adhesive problems. However, I'm pretty sure that I used Isopon car filler to stick them together and also to form reinforcing fillets on the inside of the joints.

Looking at your picture there appears to be a fair degree of warping. Since resin slabs can be straightened/flattened before assembly by gently warming, I wonder whether you might have done that originally and the curve has slowly reverted over time?...or whether perhaps it gets the sun on that face and the heat expansion and contraction has weakened the bond and allowed an expansion bend to form?

Just thoughts.
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:58 am

Just catching up on your thread Peter - love the drone video!

Your building storing exercise reminded me that I need to do that too. That's mostly station buildings in my case, which encouraged me to run a last passenger service yesterday, pictures later.

I'm glad your buildings have stood up to the weather well, that's very impressive, especially as you've got so many of them. Mine are doing OK except the one tat I can't take indoors, the tunnel mouth. The embossed stonework started peeling of that again, until I attacked it with a staple gun in desperation! I'm hoping the staples will tone down to near-invisibility in time, but I need to touch up the paintwork anyway.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:10 am

I am just dipping my toe in resin buildings for outside, and from what i have read Isopon P38 car body filler is recommended by quite a few people, just letting some dry on my new build as I type, and from what i have seen so far seems quite strong.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:56 am

Thanks guys, interesting subject and one not covered elsewhere on the Forum, as far as I know? Resin structures are growing in availability and popularity but are not yet fully tested on-site in varying conditions and over time. The resin itself has issues with paint peeling and distortion, possibly causing joint stresses and separation? I remembered to score contact surfaces before applying adhesive, but that isn't sufficient it seems.
I have structures made from concrete, HIP and resin. My personal conclusion would have to be not to use resin structures in the future as their maintenance level is higher.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:02 pm

Andrew wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:58 am
the tunnel mouth. The embossed stonework started peeling of that again, until I attacked it with a staple gun in desperation! I'm hoping the staples will tone down to near-invisibility in time, but I need to touch up the paintwork anyway.

Andrew.
Andrew, if your embossed stonework sheet is attached directly to a timber support my guess is that moisture and expansion is responsible for separation. If a plain sheet of HIP is stapled/nailed first to the timber and the embossed sheet then fixed with solvent, it might stand a better chance of staying put, as well as hiding the nails ?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:33 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the thoughts, but the tunnel mouth is exterior grade foam board, with the embossed sheet held on (or not!) with FloPlast solvent - I think the problem might be that there's very little contact between the embossed stone and the support. Oh well, it's holding togeter for now, I'll just need to factor in a little maintenance... My problem is that I much prefer building new things to repairing old ones!

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:36 pm

Andrew wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:33 pm Hi Peter,

... My problem is that I much prefer building new things to repairing old ones!

Andrew.
I'll drink to that....... later!

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:09 pm

I am a little surprised with some of the negative comments about resin buildings, I have around a dozen resin structures on my railway from three different suppliers ranging in size. My preferred method of assembly is with construction adhesive in a frame gun as you can build up quite large fillets if need be to accommodate poor alignment issues, on the first few structures I reinforced the corners with aluminium angle but later dropped that idea as I found it to be unnecessary and now only reinforce the rooves as I find that sometimes they are prone to distortion dependingon their size and shape. Cleanliness is certainly an issue and a good scrub with detergent in warm water before assembly starts l find will suffice. As to painting, I prime all over with grey primer in a rattle can from Halfords as this is a good all round base colour to then add weathering effects with different colours applied with a sponge and these paints are always anything that is to hand from any supplier. The only problem that I've experienced is with using shades of red in acrylics on doors and windows as these fade very quickly in the sun and here I have repainted with enamel types.
I do however store my buildings under cover during the winter months, usually early November to about mid March and I will admit to a small area of paint chipping on the roof of the engine shed where blackbirds seem to enjoy perching and their claws have left their marks.
Phil

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:34 pm

Somewhere I have mentioned the PDF Double Fairlie kit I am building, along with another garden railway modeller, for a mutual friend who bought it, opened the box, closed the box, and called for assistance. Alan is putting the bogies together and adding Deltang RC, meanwhile, I am doing the bodywork. Eventually the two will be joined together, but for now I can only show my part of the kit.
As with all PDF kits, the printing is crisp and every part is a perfect fit to its neighbour. I like to improve the surface by smoothing out any printed lines.....
IMG_7797.JPG
IMG_7797.JPG (64.1 KiB) Viewed 4200 times
IMG_7798.JPG
IMG_7798.JPG (65.05 KiB) Viewed 4200 times
After a coat of filler primer followed by grey primer, the parts become ready for top coat.....
IMG_7796.JPG
IMG_7796.JPG (72.03 KiB) Viewed 4200 times
IMG_7795.JPG
IMG_7795.JPG (65.99 KiB) Viewed 4200 times
This is as far as I have got to date, plenty more to follow.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:13 am

Would you be able to help me out here Peter. What filler primer do you use and why have you primed some parts different colours. Is it to help identify them when you come to paint them and do you paint them before or after.

Sorry if it sounds like stupid questions and going in advance of your build, but sometimes I need my memory kicking back into life..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:27 am

Rod, not silly questions at all.... the filler/primer is from Halfords and builds up small depressions in the printing. The grey is ordinary primer. So, dependent on print quality and whether or not the section will be easily seen I have the two choices. No difference in price so they could all be the same.
I usually give a grey primer on top of the filler/primer to accept the top coat of paint.
I will paint top coats on separate sections and hand them to Alan for final assembly, this way he can install the electrics without having to take things apart.
This is just my way of working, I'm sure there are many alternatives.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:54 pm

I was hoping we were going to see a Double Fairlie in LBSCR style "Improved Engine Green"...

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:42 pm

Andrew wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:54 pm I was hoping we were going to see a Double Fairlie in LBSCR style "Improved Engine Green"...
If 'Improved Engine Green' has a hint of maroon, then you're in luck!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:16 am

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:42 pm
Andrew wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:54 pm I was hoping we were going to see a Double Fairlie in LBSCR style "Improved Engine Green"...
If 'Improved Engine Green' has a hint of maroon, then you're in luck!
Works for me!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:55 am

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:27 am Rod, not silly questions at all.... the filler/primer is from Halfords and builds up small depressions in the printing. The grey is ordinary primer. So, dependent on print quality and whether or not the section will be easily seen I have the two choices. No difference in price so they could all be the same.
I usually give a grey primer on top of the filler/primer to accept the top coat of paint.
I will paint top coats on separate sections and hand them to Alan for final assembly, this way he can install the electrics without having to take things apart.
This is just my way of working, I'm sure there are many alternatives.
Thanks Peter. It's very helpful. I have just received the his new Skylark last week. Not opened any of the packaging yet. Maybe some time before I start to build it.....

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:49 pm

I'm very tempted by the 'Skylark' too, a nice looking locomotive. I hope you can post your build on the forum, it would be interesting to see how you get on and what we should be aware of. I'm interested to know how many AA batteries you can fit inside?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:02 pm

Changing the subject yet again, I received my latest kit today from Jerry Irwin, the Corris Brakevan. I love his kits as they are a pleasure to make following the Youtube videos and always result in first class models with superb running in ball bearing bushes. This kit has various options contained in one box: with or without duckets, early or late structural bracing and end panels etc. I haven't yet decided which to do but I have the ability to do a dry-run before I commit myself..... incredible value for money I think......
IMG_7799.JPG
IMG_7799.JPG (118.54 KiB) Viewed 3688 times

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:17 pm

You lot are making my mouth water with your Skylarks and Corris brake vans, both of which I'm fond of... That does look like a splendid kit, looking forward to seeing how it turns out...

Andrew

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:03 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:02 pm Changing the subject yet again, I received my latest kit today from Jerry Irwin, the Corris Brakevan. I love his kits as they are a pleasure to make following the Youtube videos and always result in first class models with superb running in ball bearing bushes. This kit has various options contained in one box: with or without duckets, early or late structural bracing and end panels etc. I haven't yet decided which to do but I have the ability to do a dry-run before I commit myself..... incredible value for money I think......
IMG_7799.JPG
Peter, I tried to discover more about the Jerry Irwin kits but came up with nothing.
Do you have a link or web address where I can have a look at the kits ?
Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams