3 D Printing 16mm models

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 3 D Printing 16mm models

Post by ge_rik » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:06 pm

I'm still at the Pritt Stick on glass bed stage. It certainly works well - to the extent that I often have to chisel the prints off the bed (when I get the levelling right). But. as you've said, it leaves the underside of the print slightly uneven and coated with solidified Pritt which needs to be scraped and then smoothed off.

Those plastic cover sheets sound interesting

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:35 am

ge_rik wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:06 pm
Those plastic cover sheets sound interesting

This is the one for my m/c. Amazon also list what appear to be similar but different sizes, for other Qidi models but they aren't blue so not sure if they are actually the same.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Platform-Stick ... YFPRWA8VJP
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:11 pm

Wow, there's so much to catch up on here! That bridge is wonderful, just right - and the KS diesel too...

Things have been busy at work lately, but I'm hoping lunch hours might start becoming A Thing again, and with them the chance to play with some CAD - there's certainly plenty of inspiration here!

Thanks for sharing your experience chaps,

Andrew.

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:12 pm

I am currently finishing off those Ashbury 4 wheel coaches which featured on this thread a while ago. I think that the process could be better covered in a separate thread. So this is where we left off with the coaches:
IMG_0831.jpg
IMG_0831.jpg (313 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
They have been painted with the basic colour that I use to represent the Victorian livery used on the Festiniog railway. They have received 3 coats of paint thinned with 35% thinners, so the paint will go through an airbrush. I actually find that I get a better covering and its easier to paint using a brush and unthined paint. In this case the paint is from Precision paints.

So as far as I am concerned they are ready for the lining. So lets call the new thread "Lining externally panelled Victorian coaches"

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:03 am

Just set up my new Eryone printer and am printing one of the test pieces.
IMG_20201013_105953_resize_51.jpg
IMG_20201013_105953_resize_51.jpg (469.76 KiB) Viewed 3400 times

A couple of observations:

1. It's almost silent. In fact the noisiest thing is the fan on the power supply, and that's only a whisper.
2. Bed levelling is so much easier than my cheapo printer. Twiddling large gnurled wheels underneath the plate rather than using a a Phillips screwdriver to hold the screw and a fiddling with a half visible wing nut.

It has a glass plate bed, but the surface is textured so, for now, doesn't need any adhesive. The XYZ cube it's printing seems, so far, to be really smooth. Never did get rid of the striations on the vertical axis on my old printer. I'll post a picture of the cube when it's finished!

Rik

PS It's an early Christmas present. I may have to pack it away until Christmas day ........ But I needed to test it, didn't I?
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:08 am

Boys and their toys!!!!! Good to know we don't have to grow up.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:54 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:08 am Boys and their toys!!!!! Good to know we don't have to grow up.
It's what keeps us all so youthful ....
Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:55 pm

The XYZ cube. There seems to have been a fractional Y shift about 2/3 of the way through the print, otherwise very pleased.
JPEG_20201013_135129_resize_12.jpg
JPEG_20201013_135129_resize_12.jpg (401.9 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:21 pm

Well done Rik ( and Mrs Rik!).
Must admit I'd never even heard of this manufacturer before. What size is the build plate, it looks quite big?

The Y shift part way up is something that I get occasionally and I've never found out why. It appears to be with the slicer output since it is repeatable, but of course it could be in the original CAD drawing and the slicer is simply faithfully reproducing what it is fed!
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:55 pm

Hi all,

Thought I'd join in the fun so have downloaded and am currently playing with Sketchup - I can see the potential, but I think I've got a lot more tutorials to watch!!!

Push/pull and offset tools are fun, but I'm currently struggling to combine the two in a way that ensures that shapes I create are solid... I'll let you know how I get on!

Cheers,

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:44 pm

philipy wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:21 pm What size is the build plate, it looks quite big?
The potential build volume is 300 X 300 X 400
The heating element covers the whole area, so it might be feasible to print to the edges. My cheapo printer only years the middle of the bed.

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:45 pm

Andrew wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:55 pm

Push/pull and offset tools are fun, but I'm currently struggling to combine the two in a way that ensures that shapes I create are solid
Andrew, Push/pull is essential, but I didn't get to grips with the Offset for quite a while and don't use it that often even now. It's useful on curved shapes but for rectangles/straight lines it's just as easy to simply measure and draw straight lines. "Follow Me" is also very useful as are the two "Intersect Faces With..." tools.

If I can help feel free to PM me.
Philip

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:44 pm

Andrew

That is interesting. The push pull I use all the time. The offset I have never used. I haven't found the follow me to be much use. When I want it to follow around a curve - bent pipes for example it doesn't work. No idea why. I also tried to make a ball with it and that didn't work either. I came to the conclusion that it was something which only worked properly in the paid version.

Trevor

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:42 pm

Trevor Thompson wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:44 pm Andrew

I haven't found the follow me to be much use. When I want it to follow around a curve - bent pipes for example it doesn't work.
It does work but I suspect it is very unforgiving of the geometry it is being asked to follow and then it says something about the path not starting or ending correctly, or a couple of similar messages. I have found that curves don't always select properly and it is necessary to highlight some or all of the individual segements.
Take a look at https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 15#p140475 and then read my follow up reply to Peter Butler at 2pm the next day.
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:14 pm

Thanks for the thoughts chaps, and the offer of help Philip - I'm looking forward to have another play with it, maybe this evening.

I drew something that looked vaguely like a tipper wagon body yesterday (from memory, just to practice), but think probably I need to get stuck into a project and see where it takes me...

Andrew

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:38 pm

Andrew,
I understand your desire to draw a wagon body, but I'd suggest starting with something much simpler to begin with, say the window frames that Rik and I were messing about with a few weeks ago, or something equally simple. The first thing I did was a simple 4 part platform seat ( two mirrored ends ( inner and outer faces) plus identical slat seat and back ), both to develop my drawing skills and then my first foray into actual printing.
Screenshot 2017-06-25 17.19.39.jpg
Screenshot 2017-06-25 17.19.39.jpg (25.66 KiB) Viewed 3656 times
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:31 pm

Good advice!

I wish I'd read it before I got stuck in to building the floor of my wagon! Several hours later I've got something that looks reasonable - although I've no idea if it'll make a viable print!

I'm attempting a model of an FR tipper wagon, built on the chassis of a 3T slate wagon - see: https://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/Four ... ate_waggon. I've started by measuring up the floor and underframe of my model of the slate wagon (itself 3D-printed, but not by me!), copying some of the details and adding some from the tipper. Here's where I'm up to - this is upside down:

FR tipper drawing 1.jpg
FR tipper drawing 1.jpg (120.84 KiB) Viewed 3653 times

Couplings next, maybe, but not until tomorrow!

Cheers,

Andrew

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:25 am

philipy wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:42 pm
Trevor Thompson wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:44 pm Andrew

I haven't found the follow me to be much use. When I want it to follow around a curve - bent pipes for example it doesn't work.
It does work but I suspect it is very unforgiving of the geometry it is being asked to follow and then it says something about the path not starting or ending correctly, or a couple of similar messages. I have found that curves don't always select properly and it is necessary to highlight some or all of the individual segements.
Take a look at https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 15#p140475 and then read my follow up reply to Peter Butler at 2pm the next day.
Well that is interesting! I like the pipework. I will have another look at the follow me tool!

Trevor

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:07 pm

Something I was trying to demonstrate to somebody else:

Draw the line in the shape you want, then draw the cross-section you want ( make sure it is touching the end of the line)
skeleton.png
skeleton.png (67.81 KiB) Viewed 3586 times

Select the line ( make sure you get ALL of it)
Select the Follow Me tool and click on the cross-section shape... magic happens!
extruded.png
extruded.png (91.79 KiB) Viewed 3586 times
BTW, the two versions show the difference between the default 24-segment circle on the rhs and a 96-segment circle on the left.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:30 am

My latest project has been to replicate the open wagons which I constructed from my own resin castings. I was interested in how a 3D printed version might compare. The originals used Hartland Loco Works mini-series wagon chassis which, at the time, could be picked up for less than £10 each. They have now ceased production and so I have produced my own version which uses the same dimensions but has more appropriate W-iron leaf spring suspension than the HLW version. Still a bit more tweaking to be done - the internal planking disappears because, I am reliably informed, of the 'elephant's foot effect' so I need to compensate for that. But, I'm quite pleased with the outcome. All drawn in TinkerCAD BTW.
IMG_1208.JPG
IMG_1208.JPG (125.08 KiB) Viewed 3532 times
IMG_1213.JPG
IMG_1213.JPG (107.63 KiB) Viewed 3532 times
IMG_1214.JPG
IMG_1214.JPG (93.54 KiB) Viewed 3532 times
IMG_1215.JPG
IMG_1215.JPG (125.47 KiB) Viewed 3532 times
Rik
------------------------