Anyone running g scale gas fired steam locomotives on plastic track?

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
yellow_cad
Cleaner
Cleaner

Anyone running g scale gas fired steam locomotives on plastic track?

Post by yellow_cad » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:23 pm

I am considering running g scale live steam on plastic track. Can this be done successfully? Any tips? Thanks, Jim

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Anyone running g scale gas fired steam locomotives on plastic track?

Post by Jimmyb » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:24 am

Isn't this just another take and ergo a duplication of the thread you already have on plastic track.

Nomis
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Nomis » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:47 am

I once built a temporary layout using a mixture of cheap black plastic track and aristo-craft brass when living in a rented house;

I used it to run a small gas fired live steam loco (an accucraft ruby). Worked fine, but I am not sure whether the track would eventually become brittle....

There is no heat conducted downwards with an internally fired loco, but live steamers do tend to have finer wheel flanges that the battery powered "trainset" locos. This could cause problems if the track is equally crude (especially if you have plastic points)

yellow_cad
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by yellow_cad » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:20 pm

It was brought up on the advice forum that live steam may have unique issues with plastic track so I post on live steam to address this idea particularly. I was afraid that some into live steam may not see the other post.

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:00 am

Okay, I always look at all unread messages, and filter from there.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:47 am

Nothing wrong with posting two threads for me. Some members only look I think at boards that interest them.

IanT
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by IanT » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:03 pm

Well Gauge '3' is (nearly) G scale and these days most G3 railways are built using Cliff Barker track. I'm assuming you mean track with 'plastic' sleepers.

This is true of a lot of G1 railways too I believe. Dependent on the fuel used (coal, spirit, gas) - you may need a steaming area/bay with some form of heat protection between the rails (e.g. a strip of wood or aluminium) - and for coal fired locos, also a way to dump the ash box at end of run (a short track section with an ashpan between the rails.

Worse case, if some sleepers do get badly burnt, just replace that section - but it's not a big problem if the drivers are thoughtful...

Regards,

IanT

Nomis
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Nomis » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:37 pm

I had assumed the original poster meant the type of all-plastic track that often comes with cheap G scale trainsets (that is what the black track in the 2nd half of my video above is).

Agree that running on plastic sleeper track (with brass, aluminium, stainless, or nickel alloy rails) is extremely common with all types of live steam locos.

My only concern with the "train set" track would be the plastic going brittle from UV exposure if used outside for a long time.

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:54 am

Nomis wrote: โ†‘Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:37 pm I had assumed the original poster meant the type of all-plastic track that often comes with cheap G scale trainsets (that is what the black track in the 2nd half of my video above is).

Agree that running on plastic sleeper track (with brass, aluminium, stainless, or nickel alloy rails) is extremely common with all types of live steam locos.

My only concern with the "train set" track would be the plastic going brittle from UV exposure if used outside for a long time.
The OP has another thread that discusses all plastic track (not just sleepers), and the different makes of track.