bambuko loco works 0-6-2 (Fowler)

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: bambuko loco works 0-6-2 (Fowler)

Post by bambuko » Sun May 10, 2020 2:54 pm

Old Man Aaron wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:22 pm...Aye, Airdmillan is up the front of our storage compound. Like most things at Woodford, it looks worse than it really is...
Good to have confirmation :thumbright:
It's the last steam loco (I understand) build by Fowler in UK.
Old Man Aaron wrote:...Here's the only shot I have of the loco...
Yes, that's her allright.
Every single photo is useful - thank you.
Such a shame I didn't have all this before I started my model.
Had to guess too many things, making it in essence freelance representation of Airdmillan :mrgreen:
Old Man Aaron wrote:...Ironically, I took loads of photos of it for a mate of mine last year, whom decided to build a static model, and needed reference material. Sorry to tell you I no longer have them, as I don't need the photos myself, and am running out of hard drive space. There's too many photos for him to email me any useful number of them, and what with this plague about, I can't visit him to get copies...
That is ironic indeed :cry:
but not to worry - you could ask him :?: to upload them to (for example) to:
https://wetransfer.com/
and I would have them the next day :!:
Alternatively I am going to have to wait... :lol:
I thought you guys in Australia have managed to eradicate Covid19 ?
Old Man Aaron wrote:...I do however have a few shots of our flagship, Bundaberg Fowler No.5, taken when it's drivers were returned from re-machining back in September. Being a virtually-identical copy of Airdmillan, I hope these photos might be of some use to you...
All is useful - thank you, but I know there were quite a few "improvements" made when it was copied in Bundaberg.

For example, right now I am working on cranks and factory drawing shows the cranks thinner than balance weights, like so:

yet Bundaberg Fowler has them the same thickness throughout...
so is it Bundaberg "improvement"? or was it the same for Airdmillan ??

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Mon May 11, 2020 2:51 am

Huh, I never knew about any real differences between the two. You seem to know more about Airdmillan & Bundy than I do! :lol: To be honest though, I've never worked on the Bundy Fowler as it's well down the list of priorities at Woodford. The wheels were only turned last year because we were getting other wheels done at the same time.

That file transfer link is a good idea. I'll email my mate asking if he can help out. A reply could be a few days, though. I'll let you know how it goes, via PM.
First I've heard about eradicating the plague, though I avoid the media like, well, the plague. :lol:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Mon May 11, 2020 7:44 am

Old Man Aaron wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:51 am Huh, I never knew about any real differences between the two...
They are not really significant in a grand scheme of things :mrgreen: but to OCD afflicted, anally retentive old git like me, they are interesting...
Old Man Aaron wrote:...You seem to know more about Airdmillan & Bundy than I do! :lol:
I enjoy research part of the project as much as I do enjoy designing and building the model :thumbup:
Old Man Aaron wrote:...That file transfer link is a good idea. I'll email my mate asking if he can help out. A reply could be a few days, though. I'll let you know how it goes, via PM...
No worries, thanks for trying. You have PM as well.

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Wed May 20, 2020 3:40 pm

Continuing with cranks, I have made another fixture to allow me to machine different thickness of crank and balance weight, as per:

Here, I am setting up the fixture (with crank blank) on rotary table:

The result is quite satisfactory:

Bit more filing and shaping and I will have a pait of cranks to test the next steps :thumbup:

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Thu May 28, 2020 7:43 am

Test cranks continue :D

Crankpins loctited in. I am trying pinning/pegging the crankpins using pivot steel (0.8mm dia) in a fashion used in larger models rather than across as suggested in Brain Wilson's book.

Hex bolt is there to secure coupling rod retaining washer.
Crankpin has a shoulder to keep coupling rod away from the crank face (as per full size practice) and to increase loctiting surface area.

BTW I am planning to use the same method (and pivot steel) to secure cranks to the axle.

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:19 pm

Drilling peg hole freehand on my drill wasn't entirely satisfactory :mrgreen:
so I have decided to do it proper way :thumbup: on my milling machine, secured to holding fixture.
Here I am using a wiggler to position the hole exactly half way between (it's 0.4mm in one half and 0.4mm in the other):

Checking with centre drill (last chance to correct):

0.8mm dia 5mm deep:

I have spent some time sorting out a quill on my milling machine (it was stiff) - my fault, caused by overtightening the four bolts holding mill head.
When correctly torqued to 50 lbs/ft it has recovered and quill is now smooth and light :thumbright:

End result is quite acceptable :lol:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:33 pm

Bang on!

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:22 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:33 pmBang on!
:mrgreen: thank you
now I have to repeat this performance six times for the cranks proper (this one is just a test), but before I do it, I want to make (and test) quartering fixture.
More to follow...

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:47 pm

My take on a quartering fixture.
V block in the centre (to locate the axle) and two stops, vertical on the left and horizontal on the right:

With the axle secured in place (one wheel is missing, but that's because it is just a test piece).
Brass clamps securing the axle, also makes sure the crankping is tight against the stop.

and ... ready to Loctite the other crank.
I guess, I will have to come up with some means of securing crank/crankpin against the stop?
Although I am reluctant to do it :scratch: