My First Loco Recommendations Please

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
riber3
Cleaner
Cleaner

My First Loco Recommendations Please

Post by riber3 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:30 pm

Hello everyone I am looking to buy/make my 1st loco and since I am now on very tight budget due to buying some 45mm track and my car breaking down this week I thought I would get some recommendations.
I know can try and find a cheap Playmobil loco if I am lucky but I have also been looking at one of these kits

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16mm-SM32-or ... %7Ciid%3A1

I don't know if they are any good (I mean no disrespect to the seller) but I don't know if they can be battery powered or what their pulling power is like. So if nayone has any knowledge of these or has any other suggestions I would be most grateful for your input

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: My First Loco Recommendations Please

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:07 pm

Hi and welcome.

No experience of the seller, however, at that price you cannot really complain if it does not meet your expectations.

IP Engineering are a well known supplier of budget garden railway stock:

https://www.ipenginnering.com/

No, I haven't spelt the web address wrong that is what they are currently using.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:12 pm

I have some experience of these kits, one which I built for a friend and another I was asked to finish by fitting RC gear etc. (I sent that one back to its owner!) In both cases I wasn't impressed with the kits, not that they are poorly designed and printed, rather that they are made of flimsy, lightweight material which will last about a week! The build itself is also not simple and edges are exposed and unfinished.
Elsewhere, others have noticed the colour change when exposed to daylight.... that's where a garden railway is usually sited.
Save your money for something more substantial, or just buy a chassis and build your own body, by far the best option.
Try to get something with metal (not plastic) wheels and four wheel drive. 3v motors (as usually supplied with budget chassis) have no pulling power whatsoever and can't be improved by adding much needed weight.
I am currently building a PDF (3D printed) Hunslet kit and it is very well designed and manufactured and just needs battery to finish. You can have a 12v motor as an option which will give extra power and longer running. It does however need a lot of preparation for a nice paint finish, but worth the effort.
I'm sure there will be other (more useful) advice given so carry on saving for a while.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:15 pm

For the money you really can't go wrong with a loco kit from HGLW.

http://www.hglw.co.uk/Locos.html

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:46 pm

Busted Bricks wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:15 pm For the money you really can't go wrong with a loco kit from HGLW.

That would be my recommendation as well. Easy to build and robust with a decent mechanism.
I wrote up my build of one of their locos here.... https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2018/0 ... t-and.html

I've also added Deltang RC and an Acme soundcard

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:16 pm

PS
If you don't mind using your phone or tablet as a transmitter, you could cut costs the control system by using one of these http://locoremote.co.uk/

Rik
Last edited by ge_rik on Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

metalmuncher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by metalmuncher » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:28 pm

I second the recommendations for IP Engineering and HGLW - we have laser cut kit locos from both on our line and are very happy with them.

Phil Sharples also does a few laser cut loco kits, e.g: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sm32-Sm45-16 ... 3340227699

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:06 pm

+1 for HGLW excellent budget kits, and a massive +10 for PS models, loads of lovely simple to build kits which you can improve upon with your own detailing.

The PS kit linked above above will not disappoint. It won't pull a rake of loaded tippers, but will manage adequately pulling half a dozen of Phil's wagons.

riber3
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by riber3 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:34 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:07 pm Hi and welcome.

No experience of the seller, however, at that price you cannot really complain if it does not meet your expectations.

IP Engineering are a well known supplier of budget garden railway stock:

https://www.ipenginnering.com/

No, I haven't spelt the web address wrong that is what they are currently using.
Thanks for your reply and the web address

riber3
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by riber3 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:37 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:12 pm I have some experience of these kits, one which I built for a friend and another I was asked to finish by fitting RC gear etc. (I sent that one back to its owner!) In both cases I wasn't impressed with the kits, not that they are poorly designed and printed, rather that they are made of flimsy, lightweight material which will last about a week! The build itself is also not simple and edges are exposed and unfinished.
Elsewhere, others have noticed the colour change when exposed to daylight.... that's where a garden railway is usually sited.
Save your money for something more substantial, or just buy a chassis and build your own body, by far the best option.
Try to get something with metal (not plastic) wheels and four wheel drive. 3v motors (as usually supplied with budget chassis) have no pulling power whatsoever and can't be improved by adding much needed weight.
I am currently building a PDF (3D printed) Hunslet kit and it is very well designed and manufactured and just needs battery to finish. You can have a 12v motor as an option which will give extra power and longer running. It does however need a lot of preparation for a nice paint finish, but worth the effort.
I'm sure there will be other (more useful) advice given so carry on saving for a while.
Thank you so much for the advice as the last thing I want is something too flimsy I will go and have a look at the Hunslet kit I recall seeing one somewhere but will recheck

riber3
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by riber3 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:41 pm

Busted Bricks wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:15 pm For the money you really can't go wrong with a loco kit from HGLW.

Wow!! they look quite impressive I will go and read a little more on their website. Thank you very much for the info

riber3
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by riber3 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:45 pm

ge_rik wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:46 pm

That would be my recommendation as well. Easy to build and robust with a decent mechanism.
I wrote up my build of one of their locos here.... https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2018/0 ... t-and.html

I've also added Deltang RC and an Acme soundcard

Rik
That is brilliant Thank you. I have just had a quick read of your website its very good and look forward to reading more and watching your videos

riber3
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by riber3 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:47 pm

ge_rik wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:16 pm PS
If you don't mind using your phone or tablet as a transmitter, you could cut costs the control system by using one of these http://locoremote.co.uk/

Rik
I Like this and thanks for the heads up will definitely consider this at a later point

riber3
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by riber3 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:51 pm

metalmuncher wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:28 pm I second the recommendations for IP Engineering and HGLW - we have laser cut kit locos from both on our line and are very happy with them.

Phil Sharples also does a few laser cut loco kits, e.g: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sm32-Sm45-16 ... 3340227699
Thank you for you input

riber3
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by riber3 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:53 pm

BorisSpencer wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:06 pm +1 for HGLW excellent budget kits, and a massive +10 for PS models, loads of lovely simple to build kits which you can improve upon with your own detailing.

The PS kit linked above above will not disappoint. It won't pull a rake of loaded tippers, but will manage adequately pulling half a dozen of Phil's wagons.
Thank you for the advice I will have a look at this PS kits too as well via the ebay link

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:39 am

HGLW, PFD Models, IP engineering and Phil Sharples are all excellent producers of nice inexpensive kits and are all really well produced. There are also smaller producers for rolling stock that are also very good.

You really get want you pay for, though with care, all of the sellers kits can be a model to be proud of.

Good luck in your journey in garden railways. It's a fantastic hobby and you won't go wrong with all the valuable knowledge and expertise on the forum. And there are some excellent Blogs on here, you have already perused ge_rik's Blog. I would advise reading has much as you can of his Blog, he as more or less made it easy for new and experienced 16mmillers to build and run their garden railways.

PS. There are other Bloggers on here...

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:37 pm

Hope I'm not too late!
I have experience with Swift Sixteen, IP engineering and PDF models. All 3 are good, PDF models now supply metal frames and motion with their models (I'd check before buying, it makes a difference).
Of the 3; Swift Sixteen provides the highest quality model although the kits are slightly more expensive; Robs Tin turtles are definitely comparable to a Roundhouse Little John though!
IP provide good quality wooden, plastic and pewter models at a relatively good price. Ivan is very helpful and prompt.
PDF is also a good choice, I have a Fairlie kit that's currently being made. 3D printed parts will require a lot of work though to get a good finish! Peter has a Facebook group if you have Facebook (I don't anymore but I used to be part of it, it was a good group).
If you have a slightly larger budget; Essel Engineering...

riber3
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by riber3 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:00 pm

FWLR wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:39 am HGLW, PFD Models, IP engineering and Phil Sharples are all excellent producers of nice inexpensive kits and are all really well produced. There are also smaller producers for rolling stock that are also very good.

You really get want you pay for, though with care, all of the sellers kits can be a model to be proud of.

Good luck in your journey in garden railways. It's a fantastic hobby and you won't go wrong with all the valuable knowledge and expertise on the forum. And there are some excellent Blogs on here, you have already perused ge_rik's Blog. I would advise reading has much as you can of his Blog, he as more or less made it easy for new and experienced 16mmillers to build and run their garden railways.

PS. There are other Bloggers on here...
Thank you for that it is my first Garden Railway I did have a hornby 00 gauge layout many many years ago but it seems like chalk & cheese as a comparison lol so I an very grateful to everyone who has replied

riber3
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by riber3 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:12 pm

JMORG wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:37 pm Hope I'm not too late!
I have experience with Swift Sixteen, IP engineering and PDF models. All 3 are good, PDF models now supply metal frames and motion with their models (I'd check before buying, it makes a difference).
Of the 3; Swift Sixteen provides the highest quality model although the kits are slightly more expensive; Robs Tin turtles are definitely comparable to a Roundhouse Little John though!
IP provide good quality wooden, plastic and pewter models at a relatively good price. Ivan is very helpful and prompt.
PDF is also a good choice, I have a Fairlie kit that's currently being made. 3D printed parts will require a lot of work though to get a good finish! Peter has a Facebook group if you have Facebook (I don't anymore but I used to be part of it, it was a good group).
If you have a slightly larger budget; Essel Engineering...
Thanks for the information and advice not sure I am not getting email updates at present otherwise I would have replied sooner. So your advice is neither late and is definitely welcome. I just looked at the Essel Engineering website ( I like the shunter's on the homepage) sadly i am no where on budget at present ( dam car!!) but I will take your advice on board and use it as I re- read all the mentioned sites

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:16 pm